Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

suki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 6:12 am

Hi everyone. I am just about to find the courage to go to my doctor and start the process of getting diagnosed for AS. The only thing is I believe I have ADHD too and as this will obviously impact on the AS diagnosis. Does anyone have any idea where I should start? I am 35 yrs old and live on the South coast of the UK.

Thanks very much,

Suzi :D

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 6:27 am

If you get refered for the aspergers, then when you see the psychiatrist you can tell them you think you have ADHD too, it would be the same person who diagnosed both.

In my experience it is hard getting diagnosed on the NHS for adults, but the case may be different for your area. Anyway here is a link of the private Dr who diagnosed me and it was £500 or so, she is Dr Louise Connor and was very nice and accepting and its in woking in surry.
http://www.ashwoodpractice.org.uk she also runs post diagnostic groups and cbt.

suki21
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 6:35 am

Ah thanks, thats helpful. I have no idea why but I thought they would be diagnosed by two different people!! How strange of me :oops: . Thanks for the link, i'll look into it and Surrey is not far at all.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:08 am

suki21 wrote:
Hi everyone. I am just about to find the courage to go to my doctor and start the process of getting diagnosed for AS. The only thing is I believe I have ADHD too and as this will obviously impact on the AS diagnosis. Does anyone have any idea where I should start? I am 35 yrs old and live on the South coast of the UK.

Thanks very much,

---

Ideas: Regarding Asperger's, apparently the term Asperger's (in the USA) will be replaced by the term Autism in 2013. Generally speaking, there are no medicines for Autism. Regarding ADHD, there are 4 ADHDs (4 types) today - 2010 - including ADHD Inattentive. For a few of those with ADHD, the right stimulant - alerting agent (such as coffee, caffeine, Ritalin, Dexedrine, Adderall and so on) works a little (not a cure). For a few of those with ADHD, central auditory processing disorder (CAPD) is a part of ADHD. In a few cases, what appears to be ADHD Inattentive is really a type of epilepsy (petit/absence/TLE/complex partial and so on). Epilepsy (seizures) is often treated with an epilepsy medicine, not a med for ADHD. There is a tendency today to introduce the topic of Executive Function as a way of understanding small aspects of adult Asperger's and adult ADHD (2010). That's my understanding.