Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Last2Know
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2010, 11:55 pm

All my life I've loathed showers (and baths even more) and basically treat them as a necessary evil. This week my doc asked me why I dislike them so much, and really, I had never thought about it in depth. So armed with pen and paper, I went in to the bathroom and made a list of everything that bothers me about the shower. I listed over 30 things! Most of them sensory (water, sound, hearing musical tone in the water pipes, feeling of the towels) and some more odd like phobia of stepping on the drain thing. But I kind of feel sorry for myself now, because it's lousy having to stress about 30 things just to take a shower.

I have adapted a lot of things on my own (only using certain towels, no smelly soaps or lotions, no hairdryers etc.) but I'm still left with more than 30 things. I can't stand that pruny fingers thing. Is there any hope of ever getting over this stuff?

L2K

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 1:00 am

Easy, grab your boyfriend and have a shower for two. Take your mind off things.

Vanilla_Slice

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 2:49 am

Last2Know wrote:
Is there any hope of ever getting over this stuff?
L2K

The drain IS creepy, if you are ultra-aware of how the whole system works... all the things you mentioned can seem valid (ARE valid) if your overall sensitivity is amped.

So, this may be the byproduct of just being ultrasensitive (Highly Sensitive Person). Chances are, the shower isn't the only thing that causes this reaction.

Work on the core of your sensitivity, learn to control and calm yourself... find out disciplines that can teach you proper breathing and such...

6 years ago I was still getting overwhelmed/freaked out in parking garages. It was just one of those "things", and it happened for seemingly no reason except overall overstimulation during the day that preceded it.

So I tried breathing in and out slowly while driving. It was very difficult but also immediately helpful - when I could manage.

Later I learned that during these "overwhelm surges" when I may lose control for a moment, I can retain that control by breathing out slowly and evenly - it retains my focus for the few seconds when the freakout peaked.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 3:11 am

What's your favorite thing?

Try showering with it. (or while thinking about it) Decorate the shower to remind you of it.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:07 pm

I, too, despise showers. The two most helpful things I've found are 1. only doing it every other day and 2. playing music while I shower, as a distraction.