Page 6 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 8:23 pm

I get the impression that the spoof was somewhat exaggerated. Am I right? I am an Aspie and I never carried pictures of what facial expressions should be.

ruveyn

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2010, 8:27 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I get the impression that the spoof was somewhat exaggerated. Am I right? I am an Aspie and I never carried pictures of what facial expressions should be.

ruveyn

Yes, it was overplayed for comic effect.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 9:50 am

I showed it to an NT coworker. He kept repeating "I don't get it.". Now he thinks I was making fun of him because he cant figure it out. I've only told him a dozen times about aspergers. Oh well, I'll explain it to him later. It was funny to see the confusion on his face instead of mine for a change.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 9:55 am

That's hilarious! I just wish it was a real place! :lol:

Abraham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2010, 9:57 am

These kind of shows make me schizophrenic.

Some fat Hollywood producer is making mega-bucks out of exploiting the misery of minorities ... yet again.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 10:01 am

Mudboy wrote:
I showed it to an NT coworker. He kept repeating "I don't get it.". Now he thinks I was making fun of him because he cant figure it out. I've only told him a dozen times about aspergers. Oh well, I'll explain it to him later. It was funny to see the confusion on his face instead of mine for a change.
I suspect NT's who get it will know a lot about aspies. I wish I'd seen the look on his face. Now he knows how we feel at NT jokes... I suppose that's why I could never get "friends," etc. Though Frasier must have had at least some aspie writers on board... that show's hilarious.

@ruyven

The picture cards are things that they use to test young children's ability to read facial expressions. My son had something like this in a meeting with a therapist at school. When he was much younger he could tell happy, sad, but angry and everything in between was just difficult. Nowadays of course he can read facial expression much better, but he immediately "got" the cards, having seen something like them before, and probably laughed harder at them than anything else. (Particularly when the boyfriend is trying unconvincingly to look angry, and she says, "that's pretty good".)

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 10:38 am

This made me laugh out loud. It was over-exaggerated, sure, but I see it as a form of satire...and I feel comfortable enough to laugh at myself and the often inaccurate AS stereotypes perpetuated by the media.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 11:34 am

Abraham wrote:
These kind of shows make me schizophrenic.

Some fat Hollywood producer is making mega-bucks out of exploiting the misery of minorities ... yet again.

Oh dear... it's NOT real!

LOL @ the blonde girl with the "Go Dinosaus!" poster!

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 12:12 pm

The first thing I thought was "this was obviously made by an aspie." Love it.

Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2010, 3:08 pm

Mudboy wrote:

Thats why I cant understand The Big Bang Theory being on television. I enjoyed it before I found out about AS after it was abit painful at first but now I have realized I am laughing at myself, which means NTs understand and are laughing at us?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 4:18 pm

I burst out laughing at the scene where the man contorts his face, trying to get it to match the face on his "angry" card.

My daughter has a similar set of cards that she got at school. Like him, she studies them. I never paid much attention to the cards because she doesn't really have any problems identifying what emotions look like on peoples' faces and her own expressions are not puzzling to anyone. Nevertheless, they gave her these cards at school so she studies them (on her own, it's not a homework assignment like in the clip).

One day, she came up to me and said, "I can't get stuff to come out of my ears". I didn't know what she was talking about. I wondered if maybe she had wax buildup or something stuck in her ears for some reason. (Yes, I took her literally.) So she showed me her "angry" card that I had never looked at too closely. It had a picture of an angry man with an angry expression and steam coming out of his ears. Aaaahhhh. Now I understood. So I explained the whole " ready to blow" metaphor for anger to her, using our tea kettle as a prop (its' steaming whistle stood in for an angry yell). All the while I was cursing whoever thought it was a good idea to use a metaphor on a card designed for people who take things literally.

So when I saw him contorting his face in that clip to match the "angry" card it made me laugh. I couoldn't help but think of my own daughter doing something similar but also concentrating intently trying to get steam to actually come out of her ears to match the card all because some idiot thought a metaphor was a good idea.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:28 pm

Janissy wrote:
One day, she came up to me and said, "I can't get stuff to come out of my ears".

hahahaha ..

:lmao:

Element333
Raven
Raven

14 Jun 2010, 10:50 pm

Just saw this video...and I laughed (albeit guiltily).

E333

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2010, 1:36 am

My sister in law says that talk about weird stuff when I ramble on about what I'm excited about or into. So then I learned to cram my head with all sorts of interests. But yea I find that I control the conversation sometimes. And I'm scared to bleep about that, because it's like I'm one of those stuck up characters on Archie like cartoons (ie Teen Wolf or something like that). Then I get scared like I'm like those stuck up guys that I dont' like. Or that only care about themselves. Like the sceen with the students on the bleachers.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm

I found it interesting just as I always found Napoleon Dynamite to be funny despite some similarities between the film and myself..