Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 10:19 am

In October, I received a diagnosis for Asperger's Syndrome. I have been going to counceling, but have never taken any type of medication. In fact, when the idea came up I was completely against it. This is my first day on it, and I am thinking so much more clearly. I feel like my synapses are more widespread, and I am not only thinking about what I am interested in all of the time. I can actually work on my school work without feeling the urge to read or watch something interesting about what I'm obsessed with. Furthermore, my thinking speed has greatly increased, and it doesn't take nearly as long to access thoughts that are in a different realm of comprehension.

Really, I am feeling so much better. Although, I do have a slight headache, I also get the same feeling when I'm hyperfocued. If anyone hasn't tried a medication such as this one, I would strongly urge you to give it a try. Even a 10MG dose is working wounders, it's much more than I could ever do on my own. Currently, I'm making a very fast transition between doing schoolwork, and writing this simple forum post. Whereas when I'm not taking this medication, I would be stuck on WP (Or something else that I had decided to get distracted by) for an extended period of time without realizing it.

Is anyone else taking any type of medication that is actually helping them?

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2008, 11:02 am

Adderall did almost nothing for my 9 year old. Metadate did wonders but he was losing weight because all food just looked really gross and he was never hungry. We are trying Vyvance now, and it seems to work really well for him, we still have to work to keep his weight up.

Just make sure you are eating :D Hopefully your headache goes away soon, and it's just you getting used to it. I think they say it takes about a month to know how well it's really going to work for you.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 11:09 am

Adderall is a fun drug, like a lower dose of methamphetimine. They're chemically very similar, and they're both part of the amphetimine family. They have some pleasant side effect such as weight loss, euphoria, improved concentration and the ability to go with less sleep.

However, like meth, Adderall can cause some pretty strong physical and mental addictions. Going off it will be hell on your body and mind. Don't start it lightly, because ending it will be anything but fun.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 11:26 am

Mage wrote:
Adderall is a fun drug, like a lower dose of methamphetimine. They're chemically very similar, and they're both part of the amphetimine family. They have some pleasant side effect such as weight loss, euphoria, improved concentration and the ability to go with less sleep.

However, like meth, Adderall can cause some pretty strong physical and mental addictions. Going off it will be hell on your body and mind. Don't start it lightly, because ending it will be anything but fun.

Please explain this, I have never done drugs or anything like it in my life. What will happen to my body and mind if I take this medication for an extended period of time? :cry:

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 11:33 am

Microban wrote:
Even a 10MG dose is working wounders.

Yeah....Look, I know that you think this medicine is great, and sure, it is, but very soon you will feel the need to increse the dose, in order to feel this "good feeling" you have right now, you will be forced to consume larger and larger doses of it.

You need to make your own mistakes and have some fun with this, just keep in mind that after a few weeks, or less, 10MG will not make you feel anything positive at all.

I think its really good that you like this "medicine", but please, just be smart about it and remember that there will come a time when even 200MG of it will NOT make you feel good, at all. And when you get to that point, you need to stop taking it.

But for now, have fun with it. :D

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 11:40 am

PLEASE STOP, I DID NOT TAKE THIS AS A "FUN DRUG."
I WAS PRESCRIBED THIS, AND MY MOM MADE ME TAKE IT.
I did not know these things, and I now feel bad about not researching this medication.
ALLOW ME TO REITERATE, I AM NOT A DRUGGIE, AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY SUBSTANCE LIKE IT BEFORE IN MY BODY. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT DRUGS "FEEL" LIKE? I certainly won't increase the doseage, and I am planning on telling my mother that I will no longer be taking Adderall.
Christ, stop assuming and making blind-sighted accusations. :x

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 11:52 am

Google "quitting adderall".

You will find forums filled with people trying to get over their adderall addictions. Actually, probably just start with QuittingAdderall.com, about how painful and difficult it can be.

I don't blame you for not knowing, a lot of parents give their kids drugs without looking up the effects themselves. I encourage you to read all you can about Adderall before you take another pill, and decide for yourself.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 1:55 pm

Microban wrote:
PLEASE STOP, I DID NOT TAKE THIS AS A "FUN DRUG."
Christ, stop assuming and making blind-sighted accusations.

I´m really sorry if I said something stupid to you, I really am. But I just want to give you some friendly advice. I have, myself, consumed similar medicines many times.
You are a first time user of prescription medicines, and that is a really good position to be in, for sure. In my opinion, the medicine you use is dangerous for the human body and brain, no doubt about that. But nobody knows for sure how dangerous it is, not even the best medical doctors in the world. My opinion, however, is that 3-4 weeks of “recreational” use is actually NOT very dangerous.

I would just look at this medicine as a "fun thing to have", perhaps you can use it when you feel "down" or sad? Just don´t over-consume it. You are going to do just fine, take care.
I would not, however, recommend anyone to use these types of medicines. Sorry, I´m going to shut up now, all the best. Take it easy.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 1:59 pm

Uhh... yeah, if you take a stimulant when you feel sad, you just end up sad and nervous. It's for concentration, not some kind of party drug.

Microban wrote:
Mage wrote:

Please explain this, I have never done drugs or anything like it in my life. What will happen to my body and mind if I take this medication for an extended period of time? :cry:
I dunno... but when I went off Ritalin, I had no withdrawal effects whatsoever. I had much more trouble with an SSRI (Lexapro), and that was easily solved just by tapering off slowly. I think at the low doses you'd get for Adderall (meth addicts take dozens or hundreds of times the dose, and of a more dangerous substance), you wouldn't have to worry about withdrawal symptoms; at most, you'd have to taper off over the course of a month or so. There's a big difference between psychological addiction (the sort you see in meth addicts) and physical addiction (the sort you develop when your body gets a tolerance to a medicine).

You should not have any trouble quitting a stimulant medication if:
--You do not take more than prescribed (and your prescribed amount is sensible)
--You do not take it recreationally (to feel better), or use it to stay awake
--You do not inject or inhale crushed pills
--You do not take it without a doctor's prescription
--You do not come to depend on it for some psychological benefit--e.g, confidence or happiness
--You also have counseling or an ADHD coach

It is possible to abuse stimulants; but the amount of people who abuse prescribed stimulants versus the amount of people who use them normally is about the same ratio as people who've ever had an alcoholic drink, to people who become alcoholics. Just because it is possible to abuse a substance does not mean you will.

If you are the sort of person who would never take a drink because of the risk of becoming an alcoholic, who does not ingest caffeine for fear of becoming addicted, and who refuses even mild narcotic painkillers such as codeine, you may also have a reason to reject stimulants.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2008, 2:27 pm

Mage wrote:
Google "quitting adderall".

You could also google 'quitting speed' and itd be pretty much the same thing. Adderall can be good if the situation is called for but imho it does just as much harm, especially since it is not beneficial for everyone who takes it.

Also remember that even as a minor your body is your body. Your mom can not MAKE you take this drug short of having your restrained and force feeding you. If you feel this drug is dangerous or non-beneficial, research it and present your findings to your parents and doctor. If need be, simply tell them that you will not be taking it anymore.

Do not quit it cold turkey though, the side effects for that are even worse.

Disclaimer: I let my parents persuade me into taking Adderall when I was an adolescent. I regret my decision.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 2:48 pm

I think it's great if it's working for you. No one can give you medical advice online, so don't worry about what people say here. It's between you and your doctor (and your mother). When my son went on medication, our doctor recommended a book called "Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids," by Timothy Wilens, MD. It's a good resource for learning about how these things work.

What you describe actually sounds like something my son could use, because he can't help thinking about his special interest when he should be focusing on his school work, and it's getting him frustrated, and his teachers just assume he's being lazy and defiant. He's already on a couple other meds (anxiety and mood stabilizer) and the thought of having him on a third is a bit much.

A lot of times, headaches can be prevented or alleviated by drinking plenty of water, because it's brought on by being dehydrated. Just a thought.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2008, 2:54 pm

Callista wrote:
--You also have counseling or an ADHD coach.

The thing is, I don't have ADD or ADHD.
I was given this for Asperger's Syndrome.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 3:35 pm

Ah, OK. Have you got a counselor, then; somebody who can help you make good use of the increased focus you get?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aegis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2008, 4:43 pm

They gave you adderall for Aspergers? :o

I wouldn't take it if I were you. I know the concentration is nice. I mean, doing homework is a pain otherwise. However, it wouldn't be worth it if you got addicted.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 6:05 pm

I was prescribed Adderall and it reacted somewhat badly with my brain chemistry. I experienced alot of anger.and my meltdowns got to be really bad...and all this other stuff...Maybe if I had been given a smaller dose, things would have been better..But at first it seemed great...thoguh I had a problem where I became EVEN MORE focused on my obsessions...

Anywhoo..the mental problems I had after I started taking ADDerall, were nothing compared to the problems I had while on it...but I have a different brain chemistry...and still despite all this...I would not mind having it oncein a while.

I achieve a similar effect by taking sudafed and over the counter diet pills to assist me with my pretty severe executive dysfunctions...may not sound healthy....but less expensive and mentally damaging than Adderall.

Still wish that I could focus on stuff I HAVE to do and and not just get stuck on my obsessions...

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:46 am

DON'T LET US TELL YOU WHAT'S GOOD OR BAD FOR YOU
EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT
WE ARE NOT DOCTORS.

Ask your doctor about "what if you get addicted".