Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Maxima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 5:40 pm

I strongly believe I have Asperger's
My symptoms are:
1.Social awkwardness; it's so awkward I prefer to not socialize at all.
2. I don't know how to keep a conversation going.
3.I have REALLY bad anxiety. I skip school whenever I can because I'm horrified of forgetting something in class and getting yelled at.
4.I get extremely attached to certain objects. I often buy things at the store because I feel a strong attachment to them.
5.I'm not sure how I'll survive when my cat dies.
6.I can't imagine being someone else.
7.I sort of have mindblindness. Instead of not being able to tell why someone is upset I just don't really understand why they are and I don't really care ( though I still comfort them to my best ability which isn't very good )
8.I often can't tell when someone is being sarcasstic.
9.I have many phobias. ( spiders, drowning, tight spaces, germs, not being able to breath )
10.I often switch parts of words around or drop parts of a word completely ( instead of give me my water bottle I'll say give my water boll or I'll read 96 69. )
11.I can't focus on what other people are saying unless it interests me.
12. I got to bed at 9 and wake up at 7 but I'm always still tired.
13. It takes me a really long time to make friends and I don't keep them for a very long time. Most of my friends in the past haven' been my age.
14. I prefer to think rather than play videogames, watch T.V. or talk to people.
15. I hate talking on the phone or the computer.
16. I won't ever eat fish; I also won't eat meat from fast food places.
17. If there is a digital clock where I can see it I won't be able to focus on anything other that it because I see patterns in the numbers. ( 12:06 is 12 divided by 2 o'clock this will repeat in my head over and over until it turns to 12:07 and then it becomes 12 divided by 2 o'clock +1)
18. I'm always moving ( I kick my feet together, I run my hand along the wall, one of my hands repeatedly punches the palm of the other ect.)
19. I talk to myself.
2o. I took alot of tests...
one I got 188/200
another I got 41/50
I got extreme systemizer.
15/70 for empathizing.
The others just told me I am likely to have asperger's
21. I have short lives extreme obsessions ( for anout 6 months I was OBSESSED with N.C.I.S I began watching it towards the end of the 6th season and before the 7th season came on I'd already seen every episode from every season at least twice; I'd watch it for three hours everyday no matter how many times I'd seen the episodes; I'd also check the fan page whenever I got the chance and read as many forum posts as I could.)
22. There are probably more but I can't remember at the moment.

I really think I have this but I don't seem to be able to convince my mom to take me to get tested; she just doesn't seem to believe I have it and I've shown her my test scores and everything. Any advice?

Last edited by Maxima on 06 Dec 2010, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 5:52 pm

Yeesh, i've got 10. It's my least favorite trait.
Maybe your approach is wrong. Since psychologists are so very expensive, depending on your health plan, you'd probably need to show her a really good reason why you need to get tested. Perhaps social skills lessons, disability services at school. The latter was a life saver.
Do you drive a Maxima? Welcome, by the way!

Last edited by jamesongerbil on 05 Dec 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 5:53 pm

If you're in highschool or lower and skipping school because of it, you should qualify for special services and the school can diagnose you if you're in the U.S. If your mother won't listen to you try a school counselor.

Maxima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 6:25 pm

jamesongerbil wrote:
Yeesh, i've got 10. It's my least favorite trait.
Maybe your approach is wrong. Since psychologists are so very expensive, depending on your health plan, you'd probably need to show her a really good reason why you need to get tested. Perhaps social skills lessons, disability services at school. The latter was a life saver.
Do you drive a Maxima? Welcome, by the way!

It's my least favorite trait too. It really embarresses me. We are in the navy so it should be covered but I don't know. No I can't drive yet or I'd go myself. And thank you! :D

Maxima
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2010, 6:29 pm

buryuntime wrote:
If you're in highschool or lower and skipping school because of it, you should qualify for special services and the school can diagnose you if you're in the U.S. If your mother won't listen to you try a school counselor.

I've concidered talking to my counselor but I just getting extremely nervous and keep putting it off.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 7:06 pm

There are other things that can present in a similar fashion to AS. I will go down your list and comment where I feel appropriate. If I do not comment on something then that implies positive correlation with AS.

Maxima wrote:
I strongly believe I have Asperger's
My symptoms are:
1.Social awkwardness; it's so awkward I prefer to not socialize at all.

Also a symptom of many schizophrenia spectrum disorders.

Maxima wrote:
3.I have REALLY bad anxiety. I skip school whenever I can because I'm horrified of forgetting something in class and getting yelled at.

Social anxiety is not, in itself, a symptom of AS. Many people with AS may have social anxiety, and many people without AS may have social anxiety. But many people with AS don't have overt social anxiety.

Maxima wrote:
4.I get extremely attached to certain objects. I often buy things at the store because I feel a strong attachment to them.

Usually people with AS, if they have a preoccupation with objects, it's a certain type of objects...like rocks.

Maxima wrote:
5.I'm not sure how I'd survive if my cat ever died.

Someday your cat will die. If a cat does not succumb to anything else, they usually develop kidney failure. This can be treated for a time, and early detection can significantly improve the cat's quality of life and even extend it a year or two in some cases. You should have the vet do a blood workup on your cat every few years to check kidney function and other things.

Maxima wrote:
7.I sort of have mindblindness. Instead of not being able to tell why someone is upset I just don't really understand why they are and I don't really care ( though I still comfort them to my best ability which isn't very good )

Mind blindness isn't actually part of the AS diagnostic criteria. I'm sure some people with AS really don't care about others being upset, but indifference towards others when you are aware of their emotional state is more common amongst those with schizoid personality disorder.

Maxima wrote:
9.I have many phobias. ( spiders, drowning, tight spaces, germs, not being able to breath )

Excessive phobias are not a symptom of AS. In general, I don't think people with AS have more phobias than the general population.

Maxima wrote:
10.I often switch parts of words around or drop parts of a word completely ( instead of give me my water bottle I'll say give my water boll or I'll read 96 69. )
This is not a symptom of AS, and while it is not a symptom of AS either, many people with AS have high verbal IQ.

Maxima wrote:
11.I can't focus on what other people are saying unless it interests me.
This is not a symptom of AS...and not very uncommon amongst the general population.

Maxima wrote:
12. I got to bed at 9 and wake up at 7 but I'm always still tired.

While sleep disorders are frequently co-morbid with AS and other spectrum disorders, they in themselves are not symptoms of spectrum disorders, and people who have sleep disorders aren't always on the spectrum. If you are not sleeping well, or experience daytime sleepiness, you should speak to your doctor about it. There could be various reasons.

Maxima wrote:
14. I'm never happier than when I'm day-dreaming.

People with AS daydream like everyone else, however excessive day dreaming is a hallmark of schizoid personality disorder.

Maxima wrote:
15. I hate talking on the phone or the computer.

While people with AS have social issues, this alone would not specifically imply AS. Many with AS talk a lot....I might be one of them depending on the situation.

Maxima wrote:
16. I won't ever eat fish; I also won't eat meat from fast food places.

While many people with AS prefer to eat a specific type of food on a regular basis, and may consider others inedible, not liking fish or eating food stored in plastic...and food pickyness in general, is not, by itself, a symptom of AS.

Maxima wrote:
17. If there is a digital clock where I can see it I won't be able to focus on anything other that it because I see patterns in the numbers. ( 12:06 is 12 divided by 2 o'clock this will repeat in my head over and over until it turns to 12:07 and then it becomes 12 divided by 2 o'clock +1)

I don't know what this is, to be honest with you. While it is not considered a symptom of AS, many studies have found that dyscalculia tends to be co-morbid with AS.

Maxima wrote:
19. I talk to myself.

This is not a symptom of AS...however depending on what you are saying, and why you are saying it, it may or may not be an ASD trait.

Maxima wrote:
I really think I have this but I don't seem to be able to convince my mom to take me to get tested; she just doesn't seem to believe I have it and I've shown her my test scores and everything. Any advice?

If you are in school in the US, the school district has a psychologist. I'm sure you can make an appointment with them.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:11 pm

Chronos wrote:
Maxima wrote:
5.I'm not sure how I'd survive if my cat ever died.

Someday your cat will die. If a cat does not succumb to anything else, they usually develop kidney failure. This can be treated for a time, and early detection can significantly improve the cat's quality of life and even extend it a year or two in some cases. You should have the vet do a blood workup on your cat every few years to check kidney function and other things.

I second this. I've lost two cats to kidney disease, although one made it to twenty. But you want to catch kidney problems as quickly as you can.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 10:30 pm

Sounds like you may have it. The talking to yourself thing can get awkward :wink:

Maybe you could talk to your doctor & get them to tell your mom or someone you trust at school?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 12:36 am

I hope that you get whatever it is that you want and need to get past this awkward stage, and that things start making sense to you, soon. :)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 4:24 pm

Chronos wrote:
Usually people with AS, if they have a preoccupation with objects, it's a certain type of objects...like rocks.

I think it's more classicaly autistic to have attachment to objects, but I have AS and as a child I didn't have special interests but extreme attachment to inanimate objects. Nowadays I have more normal interests for someone with Asperger's.

This is why I hate these huge lists of symptoms people put. They seem to list everything they think is wrong with them and have little understanding of autism and how it works or at least don't provide it from that kind of background. Basically, there is no WHY this is occurring. Do you not eat fast food because you want to be healthy or does the texture or something about it make you want to throw up?

Causation is very important.