Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jul 2013, 12:58 pm

At random times often while I am busy doing other things I will get a "feeling" come over me out of nowhere. Usually not a bad feeling, rather I relive the past all in an immediate rush. I literally feel it come over me, and then I have a quick flash of an earlier time that I was doing something specific. This makes me attribute the "feeling" to that past experience. These are specific and it usually is about the same things.

For example, at any given time while I am in the middle of doing something I get the rush and then remember when I rode with an aquaintence to one of his friends houses.

Nothing significant happened and the person means nothing to me but it happens a few times a month.

This whole experience comes and goes in just a few seconds during which I feel like I completely relive many hours. It is like an entire memory is wrapped up and pushed to me instantly and it is gone almost before I realized it even happened.

For those IT people out there:
Imagine a packet that was dropped years ago and sent via UDP so it was forgotten and not resent, but some how the bits remained on the wire and years later the frame goes flying down the wire. The computer recieves and looks at it and deems it useless and keeps transmitting current data uninterrupted.

Sorry if this is confusing; I barely understand it myself.
Anyone else experience something like this?

I have traditional flashbacks to bad menories that suck, but this is different. It is like a rush of "emotion" that comes from nowhere; like a synapse that never fires decides to sometimes.

Eh, I'll shutup. Any thoughts?

Bojoing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 12:34 pm

I'm not sure what you ment, but I have these weird emotion/memory flashbacks too, only the memories are from my past dreams. At least I think they are. Emotions are very strong and I usually get overwhelmed and feel weird afterwards too. I get a "scene" from a dream, it plays in a few seconds, but lasts a lot longer, it's hard to explain. I don't remember those dreams in my normal state, only when they come to me as flashbacks. I've always been living a lot through my imagination and dreams, when I was a child I could't always tell the difference between dreaming and real life.
This may be a totally different thing to yours, but the "mechanics" is similar.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm

I experience this several times per week. For me there is always some kind of trigger that can be a smell, something I see, or a sound. It's not like deja vu, it triggers real memories that are usually from childhood. I don't lose touch with the present or anything but the memories are very intense. I can smell everything, see everything in detail, hear everything, and even feel the temperature of that time. It's like being in 2 different times at the same times. I've always thought of it as deja vu without information loss, if that makes any sense.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 1:25 pm

That is how memory works: A stimulus, that resembles an earlier stimulus triggers an often sensory memory, which in turn awakes another, that pushes open a third.
That is the basic principle of many mental techniques and therapies.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 1:28 pm

Maybe you have a rather vivid memory, and remember things in more detail than most people do, so that when your memories come back they're not as summarized as they are for NTs. Have you ever been told you had a "photographic memory", or just a good memory in general?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm

You´re asking Idlehands? Right?

Bojoing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2013, 3:32 pm

And I'm just psychotic? :D

IdleHands
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jul 2013, 3:32 pm

The deja vu comparison is a good one, yet I know the cause. Incidentally, I get strong deja vu and it happens in clusters. For example, 7 times in a few days and then not at all for weeks.

I think my photographic memory feels false to me possibly because I remember all the details yet drop the main idea. I usually absorb everything whether I want to or not. I remember mundane details that other people don't even notice in "the live".

I have not been able to pinpoint a trigger other than it happening when I am busy (content) working on something, which usually means I am organizationally sorting in my own head to accomplish whatever I am busy at.

I have a tendency to get an incredible "gut feeling"; almost psychic-like, yet I have little to no control and only see the connection after the fact.

The other day my wife's friend's husband was home and when I walked into his room I asked him how the 3d TV was holding up. He replied "No problems, it has been great."
He then turned it on to a scrambled picture and had to fiddle some cables and reset his blue ray player.

He was like "what the hell".

This sort of thing happens about as often as the "deja backs".

The photographic memory is there, I just think it lacks value because what I remember is rarely important to the other people who were privy to the situation.

It's just weird, and although correlation /= causation I am curious if there is a correllation with ASD conditions.

To the others on the thread if you have similarities, feel free to discuss with each other right here. I won't feel hijacked.

Last edited by IdleHands on 05 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 4:00 pm

Jensen wrote:
That is how memory works: A stimulus, that resembles an earlier stimulus triggers an often sensory memory, which in turn awakes another, that pushes open a third.
That is the basic principle of many mental techniques and therapies.

But the flashbacks-

Could this be PTSD?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".