Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2010, 7:32 pm

Didn't see this posted here yet .... I'm actually a little shocked about it! To me, it seems like a big step in the right direction....

Quote:
After months of delay, the Senate unanimously confirmed Ari Ne’eman on Tuesday to become the first person with autism to serve on the National Council on Disability.

Here's the rest of the article: (I hope...)

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/06/ ... tion/9133/

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 8:15 pm

How is it someone could place a hold on a nomination, when it isn't a national security matter, and it not be a matter of public record??

That doesn't make sense. :? :?:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 8:58 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
How is it someone could place a hold on a nomination, when it isn't a national security matter, and it not be a matter of public record??

According to the article, the reason he was put on hold was because he doesn't support a cure for Autism, but would prefer that more information be presented to the public that Autism is not always as severe as most people think it is. Apparently he believes more in educating the public better, as well as better training for professionals dealing with it.

Go figure that would get him put on hold. :roll:

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Hermier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2010, 8:59 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:

No, it doesn't. They make the rules, and then they break the rules. I guess.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

I'm afraid I didn't quite word my question as well as I should have.

I absolutely agree that there was no sense in withholding the nomination given that it seems that when a cure is talked about, it usually means eliminating the difference and the traits altogether rather than merely aiding a person with life skills.

But what I was also asking is this. How, literally, can the rules of Congress allow this? What are the rules about what must and must not be public record, and how was this allowed to happen without violating said rules?

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:53 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
I'm afraid I didn't quite word my question as well as I should have.

I absolutely agree that there was no sense in withholding the nomination given that it seems that when a cure is talked about, it usually means eliminating the difference and the traits altogether rather than merely aiding a person with life skills.

But what I was also asking is this. How, literally, can the rules of Congress allow this? What are the rules about what must and must not be public record, and how was this allowed to happen without violating said rules?

welcome to the crossing the line of disillusionment. Always expect humans to act illogically. Chaos is what rules the universe, not order. "Evil always wins" and such and such, so yeah. :/

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm

Hermier wrote:
Didn't see this posted here yet .... I'm actually a little shocked about it! To me, it seems like a big step in the right direction....

Quote:
After months of delay, the Senate unanimously confirmed Ari Ne’eman on Tuesday to become the first person with autism to serve on the National Council on Disability.

Here's the rest of the article: (I hope...)

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/06/ ... tion/9133/

Wow! I was wondering for months when this appointment would become a confirmed reality.

I can't wait to see the mercury conspiracists boil over this!

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:00 pm

Quote:
The confirmations come after news earlier this week that Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., secured the votes to change the Senate rules to bar holds from being placed anonymously.

I would've liked to see the coward that placed that hold made public.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:07 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Quote:
The confirmations come after news earlier this week that Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., secured the votes to change the Senate rules to bar holds from being placed anonymously.

I would've liked to see the coward that placed that hold made public.

Amen. Something like that should be a matter of public record--and I am glad to see that the rule was changed.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:17 pm

I wonder what his official title is now. "Member-elect" of the National Council on Disability?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm

Congrats Arie! :D

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 12:00 am

I hope he works circles around those political fat cats.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 12:33 am

That's good news, in my books, and please don't ask me to elaborate, because that's not my strong point. :)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 5:30 am

Go forth and do some good things for us, and if you see anyone from Autism Speaks, feel free to give them a middle finger on my behalf.

(Ari reads WP, right? :P )