Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

E-Wreck
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

I'm getting retested on July 7th! I'm actually pretty excited! The retesting is for what you ask? It's to see if I actually have Asperger's Syndrome! I am currently diagnosed with having Asperger's but, for the longest time, I've felt that I don't have it. So, I'm now going to get retested and my parents feel that they'll say I don't have it anymore. I believe that I was just slower in development when I was a kid since I was just barely breathing when I was born for about 30 minutes and was at the very edge of death so I lost some brain cells from loss of oxygen.

What do you guys think?

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 3:06 pm

I think people should go with their feelings but then also be open to what other people see too.
Also I know Im really tired...been up with my 5 year old Autie with the stomach flu all night and I thought your post said that you were being RESTED :lol: . I wish I was...rested that is.
Maybe its not safe to post with sleep deprivation.
Anyway I wish you luck in whatever you find out :).

Kiley
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 3:47 pm

Well, autism, even AS isn't something you can outgrow, but diagnosis isn't a precise science either. It may be that you seemed like you had AS before but it was something else. My youngest son just got retested and came out not on the spectrum. I actually think in his case he is or maybe it's something similar. Because we are participating in a research project he's actually going to get re-re-tested and it'll be interesting to see how he comes out this time with a team more skilled in ASDs.

I think if you feel deep down that AS just isn't the right label for you, it's worth retesting. People often have excellent instincts about these things. I think you should be open to being told your wrong again and that it really is AS. The more open minded you are the more accurate the tests should be. Either way you should learn a lot about yourself and about what some of your strengths and weaknesses are. The tests won't show you everything about yourself, but you should at least get a few useful bits and pieces.

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jun 2010, 8:17 pm

I don't know what a new diagnosis will do for you exactly--and I'm sure that different doctors would diagnose you differently. And if you go into your session with the intent of getting un-diagnosed, that could obviously affect the results. Besides, autism/Asperger's is a spectrum; it's not just something that you have or do not have.