Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 1:07 am

The poll to the question of concentration led me to this idea.

For those who have a tendency to enter a state of deep thought, does it create a trance-like state at times, so much so that you tend to lose a level of awareness with the outside world? Like, when I'm in deep thought at times, I can sometimes fail to hear someone talking to me. Such concentration can also have the ability to sort of alter my mood.

I have noticed that I stim much more when under heavy concentration. I fidget a lot more, twisting paper shreds, rubber bands, or whatever in my hands. I tend to pace back and forth a lot as well. It will always lead to some sort of self-conversation, as I'm battling with my internal emotions.

- Ray M -

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2006, 4:43 am

when i am playing with lego or when i am doing somthing that facinates me i tend to block the whole world out and complely lose any attension on anything.

but somtime i find i cannot concentrate at all. escially if i am not intreested or motavated with it.

jammie

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:18 am

Aeturnus wrote:

For those who have a tendency to enter a state of deep thought, does it create a trance-like state at times, so much so that you tend to lose a level of awareness with the outside world? Like, when I'm in deep thought at times, I can sometimes fail to hear someone talking to me. Such concentration can also have the ability to sort of alter my mood.

I have noticed that I stim much more when under heavy concentration. I fidget a lot more, twisting paper shreds, rubber bands, or whatever in my hands. I tend to pace back and forth a lot as well. It will always lead to some sort of self-conversation, as I'm battling with my internal emotions.

- Ray M -

This happens to me a lot.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2006, 10:36 am

Aeturnus wrote:
I have noticed that I stim much more when under heavy concentration.

Me too. Indeed, I find it difficult to concentrate properly if I'm not stimming.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 1:51 pm

I can get sucked into things pretty deep. I've noticed it most of all when of all things I watch tv. I feel like I'm literally getting sucked into the TV.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 5:01 pm

I feel like there is nothing esle but what I'm consentrateing on I don't hear much but myself muttering about it and compleatly lose track of time and other people if not aready alone till I'm done or snap out of it

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 5:35 pm

Aeturnus wrote:

- Ray M -

When I was little, I would play with puzzles, but now I usually play video games.

but when I stem, rock my selve, and sometimes cover my ears. what usually calms me down is music such as buroque or game music.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2006, 6:57 pm

When I was a kid, I would chew on my clothes. My kids do it now.

Now I just chew on a pencil or pen or finger (not hard enough to break the ski, more of a gnaw).

Shelob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2006, 4:08 pm

I can't concentrate much due to ADD, but I've found that I can concentrate better if I'm stimming. The problem is, I can't do it when I am in a public place. Apparently most people don't think that holding your right breast with your left hand is appropiate. :lol:

Yonae
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2006, 11:47 pm

The concentration was so strong that yesterday while I was driving I was in a state of total inward thinking and not only did I almost end up running through a red light I also could have ran through a bunch of people walking across the street. 8O A close friend who was in the car at the time stopped me by shouting "red light, red light!".

This has never happened before; to this extreme, and thats when I started to realise perhaps I'm not as "normal" as other people are when they think on things.

I made up my own term on it before I read about Aspergers which I called mind tunnelling - meaning you can only focus on one specific thing and every other stimuli is temporarily "blocked out" as if you were in a tunnel. When in a mind tunnel, being interrupted is just as irritating as having a cold bucket of water being thrown on one while they are in bed.

Conversely, I find it extremely hard to concentrate (and slip into my mind tunnel) if I am consciously trying to understand and process something in my mind and there are continuous noises and smells about to distract.

Examples:
*My husband clicks his toes when reading. When I'm reading and he does that, I have to re-read my sentance over and over again unless it stops.
*The smell of smoke distracts me because is smells really bad. I have a very highly developed sense of smell. When I was being forced to watch a movie with hubby (don't like movies much), the cigarette smoke from my housemate was drifting in from a closed door to the balcony, which was quite a distance away.

I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor of any kind as having AS but in taking a test online and through the forums I see myself as definately borderline if not AS and can find behaviours in common with alot of the people posting here.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2006, 11:58 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
I can get sucked into things pretty deep. I've noticed it most of all when of all things I watch tv. I feel like I'm literally getting sucked into the TV.

I don't get that feeling, but I sometimes find my mind wandering when I'm watching TV, say if I have something on my mind that I just can't let go of. It can get annoying when watching TV, especially If I lose some of the storyline that may have been important.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2006, 12:02 am

Litguy wrote:
When I was a kid, I would chew on my clothes. My kids do it now.

Now I just chew on a pencil or pen or finger (not hard enough to break the ski, more of a gnaw).

I bite my fingernails almost on a constant basis, sometimes right down to the cuticle. I used to be much worse with this stuff when I was younger. I used to chew pen tops to death, deforming them within the clutches of my teeth.

Nowadays, I fidget around with anything and everything. I usually have something in my hands, though I can hold myself from doing it if I concentrate and tell myself to stop for a while. The instinct is always there, though.

- Ray M -

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2006, 12:12 am

Yonae wrote:
The concentration was so strong that yesterday while I was driving I was in a state of total inward thinking and not only did I almost end up running through a red light I also could have ran through a bunch of people walking across the street. 8O A close friend who was in the car at the time stopped me by shouting "red light, red light!".

This has never happened before; to this extreme, and thats when I started to realise perhaps I'm not as "normal" as other people are when they think on things.

I made up my own term on it before I read about Aspergers which I called mind tunnelling - meaning you can only focus on one specific thing and every other stimuli is temporarily "blocked out" as if you were in a tunnel. When in a mind tunnel, being interrupted is just as irritating as having a cold bucket of water being thrown on one while they are in bed.

Conversely, I find it extremely hard to concentrate (and slip into my mind tunnel) if I am consciously trying to understand and process something in my mind and there are continuous noises and smells about to distract.

Examples:
*My husband clicks his toes when reading. When I'm reading and he does that, I have to re-read my sentance over and over again unless it stops.
*The smell of smoke distracts me because is smells really bad. I have a very highly developed sense of smell. When I was being forced to watch a movie with hubby (don't like movies much), the cigarette smoke from my housemate was drifting in from a closed door to the balcony, which was quite a distance away.

I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor of any kind as having AS but in taking a test online and through the forums I see myself as definately borderline if not AS and can find behaviours in common with alot of the people posting here.

I can actually sympathize with you in regards to the driving incident. I recall it happening twice, and it is one really frightening experience to find yourself going through a red light after you're half way through it. This isn't the type of thing that usually happens to me, but there were things bothering me at the time.

Usually, I go on autopilot. I continuously think when I'm driving, that I sometimes seem to not even think about the route I'm going, yet I get there without a problem. This is such a commonplace for me, that I thought it was once normal for most people, until I read something about this sort of thing in a book a year ot so ago.

Yeah ... loud noises can break my concentration, but they have to be really annoying, say something like an alarm or vacuum cleaner or someone screaming or coughing. TV and music tend not to have much of an effect.

- Ray M -