Never really introduced myself/NT & AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

I'm a student and currently in my third year of the four year course occupational therapy.
This is my third study, I did one year of ICT (was very boring as a profession) and one year of nursing (my supervisor at the internship was never with me and in the end they said I wasn't cut out for it because I'm a machine. BS if you ask me, the patients liked me a lot.)

In march of this year I quit my first internship because I had a meltdown. I was extremely insecure about myself and my skills and couldn't cope with the social situations anymore.
Since then I've been seeing a psychologist.

I said I'm mostly NT. I recognise a lot of AS problems and told my psychologist I suspect the disorder.
We filled in a test and I scored 24. 32 was required for SUSPECTING AS. The 'normal' people score 12 however. In the end she said she suspected avoidant personality disorder and PDD-NOS. I call myself NT because the symptoms only show up in certain situations. I don't know if this is normal for the spectrum?

Right now I'm doing fine in almost all areas. In september I'm starting a new internship and I told my psychologist I want to keep the sessions we have left for this internship, in case of arising problems. I'm planning to finish this study, I don't see myself working in the profession however. I think that the problems I have will keep coming from time to time and therapy just doesn't help. It's personality.

I'm a creative person and as soon as I finish OT I want to start with a study for professional graphic design. It's mostly freelance, but it's kind of an obsession and fits my personality better.

Wall of text aside: Hi, I'm Deidara, found this unique site by searching for AS symtoms, made an account after reading a lot of interesting stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 3:17 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:39 pm

Deidara...that sounds a lot like me, actually.

What did you have to do, to get a professional assessment? And you certainly don't have to answer this question at all, but does insurance pay? And also, if you do not want your results shared, you are assured of confidentiality, right? I would not, for instance, want a diagnosis getting to my workplace, or even necessarily to my regular doctor, because unless I end up having a true problem at work, I would rather not color their perceptions of me. Given that my traits are of the kind that do not always show up under all circumstances, I would rather not invite that kind of scrutiny since if they look, I think they'll start to see it. (I know my previous boss saw some things, and said so, but never connected the dots.)

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2010, 12:44 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Deidara...that sounds a lot like me, actually.

What did you have to do, to get a professional assessment? And you certainly don't have to answer this question at all, but does insurance pay? And also, if you do not want your results shared, you are assured of confidentiality, right? I would not, for instance, want a diagnosis getting to my workplace, or even necessarily to my regular doctor, because unless I end up having a true problem at work, I would rather not color their perceptions of me. Given that my traits are of the kind that do not always show up under all circumstances, I would rather not invite that kind of scrutiny since if they look, I think they'll start to see it. (I know my previous boss saw some things, and said so, but never connected the dots.)

It was not a diagnosis. I explained to her I suspected AS and she took one of the tests on her computer that are used for determining the likelihood of the disorder. Insurance paid for 8 sessions. The psychologist has a contract with school, I just had to get a referral from my GP.

Getting diagnosed can turn out bad for you. When she said my problems point more toPDD-NOS and avoidant personality disorder we talked about not diagnosing for the sake of job future. She is however willing to explain the situation to someone should the need arise. I don't know how confidentiality works everywhere but here in the Netherlands you have privacy. If you are unemployed and the government job agency has a job for you, you are even forbidden to speak of the disorder when you apply for the job. It could endanger your chance of getting the job :P

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 8:24 pm

Ah...I'm in the US, so we have an entirely different health care system. I am also out of school, and have a job that is working well for me right now. I think I understand you to say that you're still in school?