Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

tv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2010, 9:21 am

My son is 4 1/2 with HFA. He has trouble with writing. He can hold a pencil but doesn't really apply much pressure and finds it difficult to form neat numbers, letter, etc. Otherwise he is very good at reading and numeracy skills, but the writing part is holding him back.

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:26 am

i looked up "pencil grips for arthritics" on bing and this was the first thing that came up. if this doesn't have anything u like maybe the same search will come up with something better.

http://www.pencilthings.com/pencil-grips/
good luck

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:36 am

actually, now that i think about it, you might try wrapping paper tape or...sorry, the MS makes me forget the words for things sometimes, that beige tape that doesn't have a slick surface...on a pencil really thickly and see if that helps before spending your $3 plus shipping, or your local staples or office depot probably has some. i used these about 10 years ago when i had carpal tunnel and they helped me.
Oh, yeah, that tape is called masking tape, it just came to me.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

read and understand this first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgraphia

maybe it's better to stop "torturing" him (if the above link should be the case...) and let him use a computer to write?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 10:21 am

aspi-rant wrote:
maybe it's better to stop "torturing" him (if the above link should be the case...) and let him use a computer to write?

You never get better at anything by just giving up on it. I write bad, I apply too much pressure and fine motor skills and everything said on the wikipedia entry that I skimmed over could apply to me. I still think writing is a needed skill.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 10:26 am

I'm definitely a lot neater then I used too be but I write way too soft and small, most of the time the teachers can't read it. Practice makes perfect, I hated to write until I was past Grade 1, as he gets practice he will get better.

Last edited by Coldkick on 03 Jul 2010, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2010, 10:34 am

He's too young to be sure that he won't be able to write successfully, although it is certainly possible. Use of a keyboard for primary writing may be in his future, and teaching keyboarding skills will be necessary regardless, since keyboarding is a primary means of writing for everyone, once they are in high school or above.

As to the writing: some children will never be able to write by hand with any degree of fluency, but it is important to be able to master such minimal writing as signing one's name, writing checks, filling out simple forms, etc. An OT with experience in working with children with dysgraphia should be able to help. A weighted pencil might be useful in addressing the lack of pressure when writing. I don't know where they are available, as the ones I have seen have all been provided by school. By increasing the weight, they provide more pressure on the writing instrument, therefore allowing a darker line even when the person using it is not applying strong pressure himself. This can be particularly useful for people with low muscle tone. The weighted pencils also tend to have wider grasps, which are helpful for many people who have fine motor issues.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 12:06 pm

Pistonhead wrote:
I still think writing is a needed skill.

i agree. but nonetheless if it really IS dysgraphia it equals "torture" to raise the bar on the quality of writing and the expectations it to become better. use the kids resources wisely and learn it how to use alternatives...

i hardly ever write (by hand) anymore myself... and the few things i write are usually mend to be read by me. simple notes. this has been so for nearly two decades. and i see no reason why this would go in reverse.

i have an iPhone and a MacBook for written communication... and i have no dysgraphia. but some kids i know very, very close, do. ;-)

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

I may not write well but I didn't end up with sucky grades in school due to my handwriting and there were slow improvements as time went on.

They have gone in reverse though. First there was the keyboard, then they added the mouse. Now they've got a wonderful thing called a stylus which requires a similar grip as a pencil but tends to make your writing look even less legible.

Besides, with any luck the kid can write faster than he can type, he's 4 1/2 after all. I didn't start to type fast till high school when I started playing first person shooters which forced me to not look at the keys while I was playing. Mavis beacon is torture.

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

As well as dysgraphia, you will find advice under Dyslexia and Dyspraxia.
Pencil grip is related to fine or gross motor skills.
You might find a forum for any of the above where other parents have posted tips which they found useful.
You can buy specially shaped pens and pencils, or pencil grips, such as this multi-pack, which would allow you to experiment with what works best.

http://www.letmelearn.co.uk/combipack-pencil-grips-p-573.html

I have a very awkward pencil grip, apply too much pressure, and had lots of difficulty as a child. My handwriting was always criticised and very messy.
Now I use fibre-tip pens with a comfi-grip and I have been complimented on my handwriting, so it does make a difference what you use. Ball-pens are always difficult for me, and round or skinny pencils/paintbrushes.

It isn't just handwriting, drawing and artwork need good control as well, so you can encourage practise with other activities besides writing, especially if your son enjoys them.
But do be patient, because the discomfort caused by trying to make your fingers work how you want them to is almost impossible to describe, but can be very frustrating, even as an adult. And I get twinges in my other hand and my toes at the same time, so don't be surprised at a comment such as "Writing makes my toes hurt." or any other apparently unconnected statement.

(It is also possible that he doesn't like the scratchy sound that some pencils make, especially blunt ones.)

You might find that a softer artist's pencil, eg a 2B or 3B, rather than a standard HB, allows him to make better marks without increasing pressure. All successes will boost his confidence. And stubby artist's crayons, because they are softer and easier to use than pencils, might be worth trying. A colouring book on his favourite topic might encourage him to use more pressure.

I hope that these ideas are useful. Good luck.

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2010, 7:39 pm

I used to use a pencil grip something like this one and it helped a lot: http://www.amazon.com/Pencil-Grip-Cross ... B001SN8HPI

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 8:07 pm

I'm in high school and according to my family, I can't write legibly at all. My teachers ask for clarification. One teacher just asked if I could type all my assignments.

As it happens, I type 45 wpm. Problem solved.

But you could look into bigger writing implements, and maybe use... markers or something that will stain the paper with less pressure. Can he use a sharpie, maybe? There are some skinny-pointed ones I've used for inking drawings, and although they'll bleed through the paper, you could just stick a blank sheet under whatever he's working on, unless it's double-sided. I've done that for my diary. (I keep one every day, written by hand, which practice doesn't help at all. It's at the point where I write more legibly in a second language than I do in English. I even write more legibly with my left hand.)

Maybe an OT (Occupational Therapist) will have some ideas.

NOT A DOCTOR

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 8:48 pm

When I was in special education around the 4th grade the teacher noticed I held the pencil like a caveman. It took her a little while but she got me to hold the pencil in a proper manner. she would lay the pencil between my thumb and pointer finger.I would grip the pencil with the side of my thumb holding it against my hand. I she would then place my pointer finger along the pencil with my finger tip on the tip applying heavy and light pressure. My teacher would repeat this as much as she had too. She had me draw then color in circles and square in both a light and then a dark shade to get use to different types of pressure.

I also had really bad hand writing. It was scribbly, small and tight.She made me write word for word paragraphs from the newspaper on the green paper with the big lines. She had me start off with large lettering then work my hand writing to a normal size. I have very legible hand writing now thanks to her and the time she took with to get me writing like a normal person. :wink: Hope this helps.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 9:16 pm

In my opinion, there aren't many neat kids in your son's age group anyway.

My 14yo son was the same. At age 5 he was ambidextrous with very untidy writing. He was tortured with occupational therapy to choose his strong side and improve his writing as recommended by his then teacher. I soon stopped it.

He was and still is strong on both sides and resents the fact that he was made to choose when it comes to writing. I don't blame him.

I've long since just left him alone as far as writing goes except that, over the years, I have encouraged him to take his time when hand writing.

His writing is now just as good/bad as the next 14yo boy and if typing is an option then he takes it.

I don't mind reminding teachers who get on his case... about the fact that it's mostly because of his dysgraphia and the fact that the content of what he writes is usually so darn incredible that maybe a little untidiness can be overlooked. Plus would it be a crime to let him type?

I hope this was helpful. Just encourage your son and remind him to slow down when writing.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 12:19 am

Maybe you could help him try different ways of holding the pencil. I hold a pencil sort of weird. The normal way doesn't work best for everyone. Maybe if he tries some different ways, he'll find a way that makes it easier to control the pencil. (Or maybe he won't, but it could be worth a try.)