Should NT's have their own diagnosis?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:09 am

Should Neurotypicals have their own diagnosis of Neurotypical Syndrome?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:12 am

Why not diagnose everyone with something then? Or how about we diagnose nobody with anything? Now, I guess we would need a definition of what is considered "normal" behavior. Unless there is an established set of standards I'm not aware of, then why waste your time?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:12 am

Would we have to feel sorry for them?

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:13 am

Craig28 wrote:

haha I vote for that! :mrgreen:

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:21 am

i want a list of funny symptoms :P

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2010, 11:30 am

I agree. And there is already a site out there for this. Here are the diagnostic criteria. My favorite ones:

Quote:
* excessive imaginative irrelevant activity, such as playacting of adult roles, fantasy characters, or animals, lack of interest in computers or other logical fullfilling pastimes

* markedly restricted range of interest and a preoccupation with one narrow interest, e.g., interested only in status quo climbing, impressing friends, or in pretending to be smarter or better than they are.

Another funny excerpt from the "What to do" section:
Quote:
AS scientists are currently working on a new range of wonder-drugs - Swarming Inhibitors (SI's) which it is hoped will prevent some of the more anti-social manifestations of NT such as a tendency to congregate in mobs, engage in vicious group character assassinations of outsiders, and in the extreme case to actually incite each other to mass acts of violence and destruction such as wars, pogroms, lynch mobs and the like.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 11:40 am

theexternvoid wrote:
Quote:
AS scientists are currently working on a new range of wonder-drugs - Swarming Inhibitors (SI's) which it is hoped will prevent some of the more anti-social manifestations of NT such as a tendency to congregate in mobs, engage in vicious group character assassinations of outsiders, and in the extreme case to actually incite each other to mass acts of violence and destruction such as wars, pogroms, lynch mobs and the like.

This is a great one! and so true, why is this considered normal???! !!

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:41 pm

Shadi2 wrote:
Craig28 wrote:

haha I vote for that! :mrgreen:

I definately would too. Neurotypicals need to understand that people with afflictions have lives and feelings too and should be treated as equal as them.

The problem starts when disabled people are maltreated. How would Neurotypicals like thousands of Aspies going into meltdown at the same time? I bet they would be scared stupid.

Whatever Aspies do to NT's will serve them right, you NEVER EVER diagnose a condition that you don't fully understand. Its medical suicide! NT's would never learn, they never do.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm

I feel that they should.

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:50 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel that they should.

I would just love to see NT's getting angry about this and claiming unfair treatment! Knock them off their high horses a bit, I'll be on the floor laughing my socks off at the stupid people.

NT's, you are stupid people.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:53 pm

i pat myself on the back a lot for being an open minded person. But i have to agree with this. I try to focus on finding exceptions to the rule, and all i can find is supposed NTs with aspie traits.
so yes. i agree.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:56 pm

I predict that a similar disorder will actually become part of the DSM within the next few decades.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:23 pm

It is amazing how many people here always claim that people should be more understanding and accept them instead of being ignorant, making generalisations and rejecting everyone just ebcause they are different but still treat other people that way.

Acting like that is neither wise nor intelligent.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:26 pm

so in your opinion we are perfect people who are not allowed any flaws?
that's very...ironic :P

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:31 pm

ediself wrote:
so in your opinion we are perfect people who are not allowed any flaws?
that's very...ironic :P

I think she's just noting the hypocrisy.

theexternvoid wrote:
I agree. And there is already a site out there for this. Here are the diagnostic criteria. My favorite ones:

Quote:
* excessive imaginative irrelevant activity, such as playacting of adult roles, fantasy characters, or animals, lack of interest in computers or other logical fullfilling pastimes

* markedly restricted range of interest and a preoccupation with one narrow interest, e.g., interested only in status quo climbing, impressing friends, or in pretending to be smarter or better than they are.

Quote:

That's pretty amusing.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

If you are talking to me, I obviously do not think so. I am just stating that, speaking of irony, it is highly ironic to ask people to stop calling you "stupid" and maltreating you if you are to call them stupid in return. Furthermore, it sounds quite arrogant to pretend to be much more intelligent than them if you end up acting this way.
Supposedly logical and intelligent people should try to act wisely.

I think most people here like to remind people that "you have seen one autistic people... you have seen one autistic people." I'd like to remind you that we could say exactly the same about NTs.

By the way, since most human behaviours are now considered to be abnormal to some extent, I believe that almost no one would be able to leave a psychiatrist office without getting a diagnosis or being "borderline".

I have met lots of different people in my life (well, not many actually and I do not truly know all of them but that's a lot according to my personal scale) and there are people I find stupid and others who are incredible. I know at least two NTs (one without AS characteristics at all) who are highly intelligent (and I am not talking about their IQ) according to my own point of view.

It is not objective (I try to be but I am human).

I have been rejected and beaten by people who thought I was ret*d and stupid ("nerdy" "ret*d" "intelligent in the bad way") and many adults I had to deal with during this period would say that I was the problem because I was not acting properly socially speaking. I find this reaction stupid. I find them stupid. But that's only because I see things differently (yes, it took me some time to realise that most of the time, there are two stupid people and I am one of them) and to them, I was the ret*d one.

We are just different and have different criterium.

I just choose not to engage into these kind of war because they make no sense and every one show ignorance and intolerance.

Not every NT is a bully (plus, you have to give your definition of NT, a highly controversial topic), some of them are rejected though they have no real difference (or because they wear glasses, or because they are redheads, etc) but everyone is stupid for someone else.

I know this sounds ridiculous but most utopias found here (Aspie world, world governed by Aspie) would be a disaster in real life because we need people with many different gifts.
(Hey, my mother is a housecleaner and that's something she is incredebly good at, I know many people who could never survive without someone who has such an uninteresting and unwanted job.)