Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 4:38 am

I can honestly say that I no longer fear death or dying. I don't believe in a god so I'm not afraid of being punished for my mistakes with eternal damnation. I'm not afraid of dying because pain is not of much concern to me. I would regret not learning more and not seeing my family but if I was in a state of non-existence then I imagine that these things would not bother me, I think.

What are your feelings/views about death or dying? Could you explain why you hold these views?

Thanks to those who read and those who answer.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 4:46 am

I've thought out my existence from beginning to end, what it is in terms of historic importance, how I could improve it, why I should or shouldn't, etc. I've proven myself to myself in enough ways to know that I can do anything. I won't go into details. My death would be of such little importance. I'm pretty sure I'll accidentally kill myself in some crazy stunt.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:22 am

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

The Great Gig In The Sky" - "Pink Floyd."

This will always apply to me. ;)

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:22 am

When I thought I found god (I mean REALLY thought I found the "key") I was invincible. I recall being nearly run over a few times that day...

Now, I don't think about death, can't say really either way, but I do know I'm in a state of mind that I'd preserve my life at all costs. Never had trouble with suicidal thoughts. Did have trouble with my imagination however, maybe it was my convoluted way of thinking, but I used to picture scenarios of my death... Weird, but didn't feel "depressed" or anything. Maybe it was just a way for my curious mind to venture out into that area without putting myself in danger. :?

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:29 am

Eh, I've seen oblivion - every night I do so - so why fear what can't be?
If you die - you never really existed in the first place, so what? If nothing can matter, nothing will.
Still; as I am alive now, I would regret dying - but the knowledge that I wouldn't be in any state to regret anything after the fact, I don't care.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:44 am

The reason I ask the question is because a lot of people seem to be afraid of dying and invent scenarios such as heaven to make themselves feel better about their mortality. I don't understand this fear of death and I don't share any of the fears relating to death common to my species. Thanks for the opinions so far, I look forward to more.

:D

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:51 am

Fear is an emotion. Stories based on fear are emotional. My mind is logical; therefore I can view death more... detached, unbaised.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2008, 5:59 am

I am not afraid of dying. I can't really relate fear with death. I do understand that people are afraid of the way to die, because there are many horrible ways to die, but dying in itself is something that we are all going to do at some point. It's just a fact.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 6:19 am

Dying - no. I wouldn't mind dying a horrible, painful death so much. Some of it would be interesting even. I have a strong fascination with dying.

Being dead - heck, yes. I believe that would be my only fear and not even a healthy one.

Why?

My megalomaniac super important ego cannot vanquish from this earth. That would be a sacrilege, Armageddon and the end of all good.

In short: I'm much too precious and special to die.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 6:23 am

:)

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 6:28 am

To all those who say they aren't afraid of dying I would like to say, meet you on that ship or plane when we're going down and see how you cope with your emotions when the moment is nigh. The fear of death can be overcome, but it is much harder than overcoming the desire for sex or food.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 6:47 am

Daran wrote:
The fear of death can be overcome, but it is much harder than overcoming the desire for sex or food.

No, you misunderstand. Excessive nature leads to the boredom of death. It is the copiously diseased life that needs no overcoming.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 7:30 am

quite interesting quote i have here;

Quote:
I hate life, I hate death and everything in between just doesn't interest me.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 9:10 am

My fears are endless.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 9:13 am

It's true. I am scared to death of death. My death views are so scientific I get bad reactions from people so I will refrain from supplying details here.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 10:00 am

No.