Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 5:34 pm

I got diagnosed with aspergers 2 days ago and want more info. My head cant get around it but the more i try to disprove it the more i come back to see its true. I used to think i was unsocial due to coming from a different background but never from this. I just want as much info as possible in as many laymans terms so i dont misread anything. Thanks!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 5:57 pm

Don't get too worked up about it; it's not like your diagnosis changes who you are. You're the same person you've always been; only now you know there are other people with traits very similar to yours, who may have solved some of the problems you're now facing. Also, you'll have access to various supports at school/work, if you happen to need them, and be able to get training for any skills you happen to be weak with, like social skills or organization or (etc.). I'm aware, of course, that a lot of us have grown up in a world where being disabled, or even simply different, is considered a horrible burden, something that makes your life worse; but the fact of the matter is, it needn't be. It's just a neutral fact. Once you figure out that Asperger's doesn't make you inferior, whatever you've heard all your life about pitying and looking down on disabled people (and you really can't help hearing it if you're at all exposed to our society), then you should be OK.

Anyway, autism is just basically a different brain wiring. You think slightly differently and learn slightly differently. You're probably specialized so you're great at some things, horrible at others; and the specific weaknesses are probably what cause disability. The main plan, with autism, is to learn the skills you need to survive, and to use your strengths to excel--at work, especially, where your particular strengths can be used to select a career you can be really excellent doing. Simple in theory, complex in practice.

Being diagnosed with Asperger's probably means you're halfway decent at verbal communication; and it probably also means you don't need a lot of help taking care of yourself. Other than that, there's not too much difference between Asperger's autism and regular autism, so you can consider strategies that are suggested for regular autism, as well as for Asperger's specifically.

If you know what you're good at, and what you need to learn, then that's a good start. Don't know if they did a neuropsych assessment when they diagnosed you; the results of that can be useful, so you know where you're specifically going to need help. Some people need outside help; others just need to do things a different way. For example, I take my tests in a quiet room so the random noise from a classroom doesn't distract me; but I don't know how to find my own apartment, so I had help from the disability services office at my school with that. Next time I may be able to do it alone. Anyway, if you can get a concrete list of things you need help with and skills you need to learn, you can probably systematically make a plan to work on each issue.

One more thing: Autistic people do grow and learn and change as we get older. We don't stop maturing at 18; that's bullcrap even for typical people. So don't assume that, just because you're behind other people on some things, you'll never catch up or never find an alternative method that works... just ain't so.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:18 pm

Thanks for the post. Im 19. I have noticed my lack of social skills and made up for them by being generally funny to atract people into sustaining conversations my whole life. All my friends i know because of my obsession with cars and airplanes. Probably the 2 best things to be obsessed with since noone will find me blabbing about them boring. Ive known i was different but never thought it was something real in my head. Just thought its how i was brought up.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:44 pm

For myself, I have patchy social skills. Excellent in some areas, unaware in others, and this very patchiness can catch others off guard. I've kind of decided with my next potential girlfriend, I need to let her know sometime between the third and fifth date.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:49 pm

You might be interested i getting a good job, that's related to one of your special interests.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 7:09 pm

If you have specific questions, we might be able to help more.

In general terms, often we have sensory issues. I have a sawtooth pattern to my hearing. I won't bore you with the science, but in practical terms, it means I might find that a certain noise is far too loud, and barely hear another one that's actually just as loud. I did find a treatment for this (AIT), which was very effective for a couple of years, but eventually lost efficacy. (Since the treatment, I've had a couple of colds, I've listened to music with headphones on and I've undergone the roller-coaster of adolescence. All three they'll tell you outright will hurt the treatment's longevity.) I don't recommend it unless it's really bugging you, but if you're desperate for something, then yeah.

Then there's not liking light touch, and various textures. I find myself stimming with my fingernails, and can't stand the feeling of having them cut short. I can't stand the feel of a tag in my shirt, or eating gristle or fat, or scraping my foot against the bottom of the pool (but I don't know anyone who likes that). You might have other sensitivities, like to hugs (these can be really wonderful, but they can also be absolute torture; it just depends on who's involved) or soft textures like butter. (Butter's fine with me. Cooked vegetables are a sin.) I had a lot more issues with this as a kid; I used to be a picky eater, and essentially eat bits and pieces of foods, and choose my menu not because it tasted good but because it wasn't going to make me feel sick. I've grown up a little since, and my tastes are less restricted, so now I often eat foods because I like them, and I avoid foods for nutritional reasons as often as for sensory. (Don't offer me mushrooms, though. Or pork.) Of course, you'll still find that I take a second helping halfway through, and leave a lot on my plate, with most of everyone else's favorite dishes; that's because some elements are still too much for me. (Stews, especially, I'll do that to. I might drink the broth, and eat a little of the meat if there's meat in it, but I'll leave any vegetables sitting dry and forlorn in the bottom of my bowl.)

Then there's routine. It's not such a bad thing. Any time I go to this one restaurant, no matter who I'm with, I play 20 Questions. I used to have a routine where I ate the exact same thing every Monday for dinner. That got really annoying when I got sick of the food before I could make myself transition out of the routine. (Everyone else came to hate it before I did. It went on for years, so...)

And there's socializing, and eye contact, and stuff. What do you want to know?

(Please note that I've taken a long time to compose this post.

NOT A DOCTOR

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 1:48 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
For myself, I have patchy social skills. Excellent in some areas, unaware in others, and this very patchiness can catch others off guard.

similar here. it seems people who know me get very confused, probably expect more of me than i am capable of and don't know why. i don't know how evident my deficits are. very obvious to me as i'm constantly troubled about other people's behavior, trying to sort out what it means. but obvious on the outside? maybe not so much. i try desperately to hide my difficulties and so maybe have gotten myself in this bind. i do ok if i put severe limitations on spending time with other people, and it's like leading a double life.

if you're similar, MXH, it might be helpful to disclose to some people so they won't misread your behavior. then - just go on, being yourself.

MXH wrote:
I have noticed my lack of social skills and made up for them by being generally funny to atract people into sustaining conversations my whole life.

this sounds like a fantastic coping skill, actually. maybe you have something to teach us as well as something to learn.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 3:25 am

i found just reading peoples threads prolly told me more than any one medical description did.

it's hard to just sum up all the varying ramifications and minor symptoms such a disorder can have.

So my advice is just stick around, read and respond in turn, and you'll learn as you go.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 3:59 am

Here's some words and initialisms that are often used, that you might want to become familiar with...

ASD: Autism Spectrum Disorder. The overall group that includes Autistic Disorder(classic autism), Asperger's Syndrome, and PDD-NOS. There's also Rett's Syndrome and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder, but those are less talked about. There are a few people i've seen who will "ASC" instead, because they don't like the word "disorder."

PDD: Pervasive Developmental Disorder. Pretty much the same as ASD. This is the official category that ASDs fall into.

PDD-NOS: Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. This is the category for people who are on the autistic spectrum, but don't match the criteria for a diagnosis of Autistic Disorder or Asperger's. There is a lot of variety within this diagnosis, ranging from severe to mild.

AS: Asperger's Syndrome. It's also called Asperger's Disorder or just Asperger's.

Aspie: Person with Asperger's.

Autie: Person with Autism. Usually used for those who have Classic Autism, as opposed to Asperger's.

HFA: High-Functioning Autism. Sometimes refers to all high-functioning people on the autistic spectrum, but in most discussions refers to the high-functioning end of Autistic Disorder("classic autism"), as opposed to Asperger's.

LFA: Lower-Functioning Autism. Use of "HFA" and "LFA" is debatable, because there isn't really a clear line, and people can have different levels of functioning in different areas of life. A lot of people think that dividing autistic people like this is wrong because we are all complex individuals.

NT: Neurotypical. Usually refers to non-autistic people.

Neurodiversity: The idea that neurological differences such as autism are a difference that should be accepted, as opposed to being a bad thing that needs to be "fixed."

Curebie: Person who thinks autism is something that needs to be cured.

Special Interest: Refers to an autistic person's obsessive interests.

Stimming: Repetitive behaviors such as rocking, swaying, hand flapping, etc.