I wish people would stop being embarrassed by me...

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 12:34 am

It's starting to get to me emotionally. A lot. I'm having outbursts about it. How do you guys handle this sort of thing?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:36 am

TheHaywire wrote:
It's starting to get to me emotionally. A lot. I'm having outbursts about it. How do you guys handle this sort of thing?

It would depend on why they were embarrassed by me, and who "they" were.

Can you give more information?

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:20 am

Pretty much anybody associated with me in any way whatsoever. The strange way I act in public and my reputation are horrible.

People are ashamed of being my friend. I know that this means they were never really my friend but wow. People are afraid to admit we used to hang out.

I have changed my social circle but this sort of thing still haunts me. I started confronting people about being ashamed to hang out with me and it all turned into a huge mess. I lashed out in a pretty bad way.

Last edited by TheHaywire on 31 Jul 2010, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:22 am

TheHaywire wrote:
Pretty much anybody associated with me in any way whatsoever. The way I act in public and my reputation are horrible. People are ashamed of being my friend.

And for what reason can you not adjust your behavior?

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:23 am

I don't know. I'm trying. Yet it feels like an act. Like the solution to all things is to become a better actor.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:01 am

TheHaywire wrote:
I don't know. I'm trying. Yet it feels like an act. Like the solution to all things is to become a better actor.

Well, sometimes.

That is the hardest part, isn't it? We are told as children that we should love ourselves and be ourselves and that no one loves a phony. Yet, AS/HFA people find that they CAN'T be themselves without either being socially isolated or without attracting only other oddballs, with whom we may only feel MORE uncomfortable.

Acting does go a long way, but causes a great deal of stress. I try to keep my circle of friends small. I have two or three people (outside of family) who I am very close to and they know I have Asperger's, which helps.

The problem with keeping few friends, however, is that if we lose one to a relocation or death, we lose half of them! So, I try to also keep a wide circle of acquaintances. These are people I don't really hang out with regulary because they would not understand me well, but I do know that they are good people and would be there to get closer if I need them or they need me.

The secret to friendship (which is what I tell my clients) is that you need to seek out good people in your life. Friends are under no obligation to continue to be your friend. They can stop any time they like, but when we seek out good people, those that are honest, caring, loyal, etc, they will be the best kind of friend and will truly try to understand.

Just be sure that you have something to offer as well. No one wants to have a friend who behaves badly and then just expects others to put up with it. Make sure you are there for them when they need it, that you have some common interests you can share, and that you practice all the necessary "thank yous", "you're welcomes", and "I'm sorrys" that they expect.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 6:54 am

I'd tell them to piss off if they couldn't accept me. I'd rather be alone than to be f****d around by a bunch of lowlife scum.

violetchild
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2010, 7:06 am

Acting sucks and makes your so called friends then be actually friends with something you are not.. true friends should like who you are esp if you are nice to them in return.

i have a few neurotypical friends who i occassionally see, they are the ones i act with some, never get fully close to them and they are harder for me to be with, due to the effort involved.

My closer friends are a bit odd like myself, ones with Aspie traits themselves, easier to understand each other more. i accept who they are and they accept me so our relationship is a relaxed one.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

MindBlind wrote:
I'd tell them to piss off if they couldn't accept me. I'd rather be alone than to be f**** around by a bunch of lowlife scum.

And the above statement is precisely why most Aspergergians have no friends.

It's usually not our behavior... many people will understand your behavior and still love you, but it's our selfish attitude about our behavior. When you know that something you said or did might be embarrassing or offensive, an acknowledgement and an an apology goes a long way in keeping friends.

Even NTs often have an attitude of "I am what I am and if you don't want to take my crap, then f*** you, you're just not a friend," and then they wonder why they don;t have any after a while.

Being kind and poilte may be acting, but it's a good and necessary bit of acting when we don't prefer to be alone.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2010, 9:02 am

Lately I find myself thinking back to "strange" people that I knew, wondering if I could've been their friend if I hadn't written them off. It's not like I'm particularly normal myself.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:09 am

I'm sorry your friends are acting that way- it's terrible. My best friend would jump to my defense if anyone commenting on my behavior. She's got the "STOP IT!" look down pat and uses it often. Flapping, rocking, tapping, melt downs... she's not afraid of it at all. I think you should explain to your friends that it's part of the way you're made that you do those things, that you can't help it. See what they say.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:12 am

There was a time, when my mum told me, that she was embarrassed to be with me, when I was 14 years old. She told me, that people would look at us, whenever we were out in public. I had suicidal thoughts and feelings, for a year and a half afterwards, because my mum really bruised my Ego, and how could I have been lovable and worthy of life, if I was an embarrassment to my own birth mother, who gave me life?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:24 am

How do people who are assuming this is "bad behavior" on the part of the original poster, even know it's bad behavior? All this counseling the person to "act", and you don't even know what you're expecting them to stop doing. Many things autistic people do are either impossible to avoid, or very difficult to avoid without doing damage to other parts of us, and many of those things are not bad in any way at all. Rocking is not bad. Flapping is not bad. Other unusual mannerisms are not bad. Period. Not bad, not rude, not inconsiderate, not selfish.

This doesn't mean there aren't things that autistic people need to change. But seriously, I haven't seen any indication of such things in this thread so far. Or any indication in the other way. How can you advise someone if you don't even know what they're doing that other people find embarrassing? Because depending on what it is, it could be things that are not wrong at all, and where the embarrassment comes from ableism that people have to get over in order to be good friends to us. Rocking, flapping, and other autistic mannerisms are no more bad or wrong than the complex and unusual movements of some people with cerebral palsy are. Some people find these things embarrassing, and those things are embarrassing because the people in question have some very messed-up values. Real friends will never ask you to stop doing these, or if they do, they will eventually realize how wrong it was.

On the other hand, I've known autistic people who are cruel to other people, blame it on their autism, and refuse to change. That's different. But I've seen no indication that that's what's going on here yet. And there are things that many autistic people do that are simply immature and we need to learn not to do. Seen no indication there either. (Meanwhile there are very cruel things that are considered "just normal" and most people that cruel have lots of friends. Because their variety of cruelty is not seen as unusual, so it's not "embarrassing" in the same way as even a nice autistic person can be.)

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:48 am

anbuend wrote:
How do people who are assuming this is "bad behavior" on the part of the original poster, even know it's bad behavior? All this counseling the person to "act", and you don't even know what you're expecting them to stop doing. Many things autistic people do are either impossible to avoid, or very difficult to avoid without doing damage to other parts of us, and many of those things are not bad in any way at all. Rocking is not bad. Flapping is not bad. Other unusual mannerisms are not bad. Period. Not bad, not rude, not inconsiderate, not selfish.

This doesn't mean there aren't things that autistic people need to change. But seriously, I haven't seen any indication of such things in this thread so far. Or any indication in the other way. How can you advise someone if you don't even know what they're doing that other people find embarrassing? Because depending on what it is, it could be things that are not wrong at all, and where the embarrassment comes from ableism that people have to get over in order to be good friends to us. Rocking, flapping, and other autistic mannerisms are no more bad or wrong than the complex and unusual movements of some people with cerebral palsy are. Some people find these things embarrassing, and those things are embarrassing because the people in question have some very messed-up values. Real friends will never ask you to stop doing these, or if they do, they will eventually realize how wrong it was.

On the other hand, I've known autistic people who are cruel to other people, blame it on their autism, and refuse to change. That's different. But I've seen no indication that that's what's going on here yet. And there are things that many autistic people do that are simply immature and we need to learn not to do. Seen no indication there either. (Meanwhile there are very cruel things that are considered "just normal" and most people that cruel have lots of friends. Because their variety of cruelty is not seen as unusual, so it's not "embarrassing" in the same way as even a nice autistic person can be.)

I've advised on the information I have been provided, which I will agree was scant. If the OP belieres that more details are necessary, then I am sure the OP will provide those.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Jul 2010, 10:11 am

your probably in high school or middle school...am I right?
Well if so, just know that real life is not this way....people at this age are so worried about what others think of them that they leave their conscious at the door.

My best advice is find those who are confident in who they are and dont need approval by others. These people are usually not the most popular but dont really care anyway. such people are kinda rare in school years, but once you get out of school you will find more people grow out of that shallowness. Some dont...and they just go on to be social predators.

You will also find that tables turn alot from high school to real life. I high school, those who are really popular and snotty usually get married early, have a bunch of kids and do much with their lives. However, those who are "nerds" and are otherwise outcasts usually grow up to be quite sucessful and marry later.
Jocks either go on to college on a scholarship or they just sit home dreaming of yesteryears like ed bundy on "married with children"

but I would say to you, find out what you are really good at...and devlop that skill the best you can, do the best you can in school and do alot of voluteer work, and you will get into college and be able to make a life for yourself above these people.
Sometimes you cant change how people treat you, but you can change your situation by hyper-focusing on your school studies so you can get out of that hellhole and be more in control of the direction your life is going.

best wishes, and pm me if you want to talk more about it

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

31 Jul 2010, 10:13 am

what I meant to say was the snotty get married early ones ....Dont do much with their lives