Did you ever have any teachers who you suspected had AS?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2010, 5:18 pm

I've had two, who I think might be on the spectrum.

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2010, 6:50 pm

No, but then I grew up in the 70s in Scotland before autism was recognised as a spectrum disorder - to coin a phrase, you were either normal or Rain Man. Since my speech development was normal (as far as I can remember), the most I would be diagnosed as would've been 'difficult child', 'weird kid' or 'little b**t**d'.

Teachers are often well-educated in this kind of thing (these days), as their job is to oversee many aspects of their students' development - if the ones who suggested the possibility are people you like and trust, and you recognise at least some of the indications they've spoken about, it might be well worth discussing it a little further with them as a first step :)

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

No but I had one that had ADHD.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

No, but the inverse happened, my high school chemistry teacher started suspecting that he may have it due to my diagnosis.

DogDaySunrise
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2010, 7:28 pm

I've completely misinterpreted the question lol - I've read 'you think might' as 'think you might' lol. In light of this, yes, one - a chemistry teacher who spoke with a seemingly odd affectation, only shaved once every month (the 2nd of each, if I remember correctly), but knew his subject as if it had been burned onto his neurons like God himself had put it there.

Capper7
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2010, 7:50 pm

I was in elementary school when the diagnosis first existed. I did well in school and didn't really act up at all, so I just kind of got carried along until I graduated high school. It wasn't until I finished one semester of college that I knew myself. However, my mom has seen my high school guidance counselor since then and let her know. She responded that she could tell but didn't say anything because it wasn't her place. I'm not asking for an official diagnosis from her, but maybe say something and work with me? I'll bring that up to her one day.

(I do plan on telling my teachers eventually.)

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 7:55 pm

Yup, and they recommended me for a diagnosis, I think.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 8:17 pm

Not that I'm aware of. There were plenty of signs, but I never had behavioral issues, so my teachers just labeled me as shy. If anyone did suspect it, they certainly never did anything about it. The only time a teacher was concerned about me was in kindergarten, and that was because I was the only child who couldn't swing yet. It seems kind of amusing now...out of all the odd things I did and the normal things I didn't, it was only my inability to swing that caught her attention.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 8:18 pm

No, but I graduated from high school in 1986. And I had the self-awareness and ability/capacity to keep the odd looking stuff mostly hidden. And I tended to shutdown rather than explode/meltdown. Being labeled a "smart kid" probably also helped.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

Wrong answer! misread the q. No, I never had anyone suspect. It's only when I tell them. I really tried to fit in until late in the game, also in 7th grade. 7th grade was pretty crazy.

Last edited by jamesongerbil on 03 Aug 2010, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 8:35 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
No, but I graduated from high school in 1986. And I had the self-awareness and ability/capacity to keep the odd looking stuff mostly hidden. And I tended to shutdown rather than explode/meltdown. Being labeled a "smart kid" probably also helped.
Me too. Though, my behavior got kind of bad in 11th and 12th grade. not bad, just odd.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

Just my speech therapist.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:45 pm

My 1st and 2nd Grade teachers couldn't stand me, but at the time the only thing everyone had in mind was that I had some kind of ADHD, AS wasn't in the picture at the time.

Some teachers thought I was just eccentric or annoying, as for AS, none that I can recall of, actually. In my area, I'd say AS as well as autism in general, isn't well-known. I mean, for one thing, in my AP Psychology class, even though we extensively went through a unit or two regarding mental illnesses, autism/AS was never mentioned. My first best friend was a bit weird, but he was totally up-to-speed with social stuff, making friends with more people, while I always just the outcast of the class. Can't say I could really look back and pick out a specific classmate that I thought would have it. So I would guess that the teachers probably didn't know enough of AS, if anything, to suspect I had it.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:48 pm

I had a math professor who had a snorting tic. I don't really know if she might have had any other characteristics, or whether this might fall under the category of just tics and not AS.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:19 pm

yes this one teacher use to say he had a disease that when we all speak loudly his brain mild function. maybe he did. :?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 9:17 am

All my teachers seemed somewhat alike to me. They all hated it when we talked during class and knew what they were talking about in the subject they taught. Since all the teachers were well versed in the subjects they taught, it was like a narrow interest. Whether any of them had an ASD or not, I couldn't tell. I can't tell unless it's really obvious, then I become suspicious. Since I've been posting on WP, I have only noticed one person who I suspected has HFA.