Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:36 pm

MarijnR wrote:
I believe you see relationships as functional constructs, i.e. the company you choose to keep has a function to you, like being an intellectual outlet as you say. You seem to be more attached to the function they fulfill as to the individuals themselves. As a result, like the case is with purely functional things, it is easy to be emotionally detached from them. It doesn't sound so strange or problematic to me.

I think interacting with people on a purely functional level is enough for you at this moment, but I believe you will "feel" some kind of void if you would completely live without any social interaction. As you are still quite young it is quite possible you may grow to appreciate what people, and the social interactions they provide, mean to you later in life.

People really are their functions.
A hammer has no value other than it's use as a tool ... aside from it's scrap metal value of a few cents.
A person has no value besides their actions, which may be far more complex than a simple tool like a hammer. Once a person dies, removes themselves (or are removed from) our lives, or whatever else that happens to bring down the reasons for attachment, they are no longer of value. The same applies if they become something totally different from what they were to the point that they no longer serve the value which made you attached to them in the first place.

I think we all too often hold onto old emotions for the same reason we hold onto old items. Sentimental reasons I mean. We keep an old shirt that we wore on a certain day to remind us. Perhaps we hold onto old emotions to remind us of similar (but different) things.
Others however have outgrown that need to hold onto things to be reminded.... or maybe we just don't WANT to be reminded.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:42 pm

Tend to view the idea of love - bonding - as a kind of electrical circuit between perhaps the amydala and the nucleus accumbens. That connection can vary from missing, almost missing, to weak, medium, or strong. It can vary in a person's life. Love can be defined in many ways. Words/ideas like lovingkindness, harmony, and respect can provide insights into what the word love can mean. Understanding a word like love can take years to do and the meaning of the word can change as how a child views it, a teenager views it, a young adult views it, a middle aged adult views it, an older adult views it, and a senior citizen views it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 5:01 pm

I often wonder what's so wrong with me, because I get more emotionally attached to people, than my NT friends and family do, and I remember that I'm in fact an ISFP Sweet Pea. I also know now, that not everybody with AS, has the same traits. I'm just one of those sensitive four year old wonderboy types, as opposed to a logical type of aspie. Nothing wrong with that. we're all different, and that's what makes WP a fun place, to visit. :P