Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2010, 6:16 am

I have been researching AS, NLD and HFA for nearly a year constantly now, and I have read all about them and taken every Aspie quiz going. The one on here said- AS score- 154/200 NT score- 39/200, so I took it from there and decided to carefully self diagnose. But if I am to self diagnose, I am not sure what to go with...as all three conditions are very similar... this is why-
I learned to walk and talk VERY early
I have an IQ of 84
Its not so much that I love routine, Its my hate of any CHANGE in my life.
I love maths, but I literally can't do it
I have no co-ordination at all
I have friends only for convenience, and wouldn't mind if I had to go it alone
I am either very childish or very mature
I am either totally silent or a complete motor-mouth
taking those into consideration, i am not sure now of what i should consider myself. (I mean, i know i have ONE of them... i just dont know what one)?
Any help/opinions/advice on my situation, or is anyone in the same position?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 7:07 am

xemmaliex wrote:
I have been researching AS, NLD and HFA for nearly a year ...
But if I am to self diagnose, I am not sure what to go with...

So, I would just wait a bit longer and see. I have been here on WP for about a year, and my personal assessment of myself points toward Asperger's Syndrome. However, an actual diagnosis really needs to come from someone else, and even then only if there really is a need for one beyond one's own curiosity. With or without a diagnosis, life's challenges remain the same.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 7:32 am

Maybe you could take the approach some mechanics take in fixing your car--they try different fixes until they find one that works...

I'd suggest working on an issue that bugs you, and try different approaches to see which one helps you the most. Then work on another one. You will have a much better idea of your diagnosis after finding out what works/doesn't work for you.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 8:19 am

BTDT wrote:
Maybe you could take the approach some mechanics take in fixing your car--they try different fixes until they find one that works...

As long as you don't use pharmaceutical fixes....that could be dangerous.....it's exactly what some shrinks have done to undiagnosed Aspies, with dire effects. Or so it was said in the House of Lords on the telly.
Quote:
I'd suggest working on an issue that bugs you, and try different approaches to see which one helps you the most. Then work on another one. You will have a much better idea of your diagnosis after finding out what works/doesn't work for you.

Yup - that sounds a lot safer.

Strange that you can't do maths if you love the subject. Though not impossible with AS - there are pursuits I love but can't do. "no co-ordination at all" - not sure if you mean that it's literally that severe, if it is then that wouldn't be AS, and I don't think most Aspies have excessively bad co-ordination problems (I'm fine as long as I concentrate calmly and have reasonable control over the terrain - without those coping strategies I would be noticeably clumsy, but not severely. But severe clumsiness doesn't rule out AS at all. Most of the other things seem to point towards AS quite strongly.....though I think IQ and early walking/talking are neutral.

There is a school of thought that considers HFA and AS to be an example of excessive diagnostic splitting.

Have you seen this thread about AS v. NLD?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt103358.html
A link I posted there to an article is broken now, but you can still find the article here:
http://www.thelighthouseproject.com/resources/
Interestingly they've changed the names of the 2 twins, :? but the article is the same as far as I recall.