Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What do you think of superstitions like Friday the 13th, etc.?
They're irrelevant to me/I don't think about them much. 54%  54%  [ 26 ]
I follow them, "just in case" they might be true. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
I follow them because other people do, or because it's fun to pretend. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I think only stupid or illogical people buy into superstitions. 31%  31%  [ 15 ]
I don't know/Other 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 48

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:24 pm

They're irrelevant to me and I think that only illogical people follow it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:25 pm

I've had many bad things happen to me, on Friday the 13th, over the years. Don't forget what happened, last March, with the ex husband, of one of my friends. Oh yeah, some of you weren't even here, yet.

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

The best answer I could come up with is that they're irrelevant to me and I don't think about them much. I suppose I could've said they're irrational and stupid simply because I don't BELIEVE in such superstitions (or anything "spiritual" or non-material at all.) That would probably be unfair of me though as I obviously don't KNOW and cannot PROVE that there's nothing to such superstitions.

I have been fascinated by the occult, mysticism, esoteric spirituality in general all my life. I take it all with an enormous grain of salt though and whether or not there's anything beyond our material universe, all these myths about Friday the 13th strike me as rather absurd.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:40 pm

Thirteen is considered unlucky because Jesus' entourage supposedly included 13 people - himself and the twelve canonical apostles, and he was betrayed by a member of that group.

Of course, when you include Mary Magdalene and the baby, the math no longer adds up, so it is just superstition after all. :wink:

Horus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 4:05 pm

Willard wrote:
Thirteen is considered unlucky because Jesus' entourage supposedly included 13 people - himself and the twelve canonical apostles, and he was betrayed by a member of that group.

Of course, when you include Mary Magdalene and the baby, the math no longer adds up, so it is just superstition after all. :wink:

This is not the only reason it's considered unlucky especially when we're talking about FRIDAY the 13th. You probably know all this anyway, but just in case:

Jesus was supposedly crucified on a Friday for one thing.

In numerology....twelve is considered a number of completeness, perfection and order. Consider the 12 signs of the zodiac, the twelve tribes of Israel (there's also a kabbalistic connection with the number 13 too), twelve gods of Olympus, etc....Thus...thirteen is consider a number of disorder, imperfection, etc.....Though the number thirteen COULD actually be conceived as a "totality" of sorts when considering the Kabbalistic tree of life. While there are ten "divine emanations" ( or "Sephiroth") on the "tree" itself, there is also the "three negative veils of existence" known as Ain, Ain soph and Ain Soph Aur. These "veils" are considered to be the ultimate, ineffable and unknowable reality. Whether they can be rightfully defined as "god" or not is an entirely different matter.

The Witches' sabbat traditionally included 13 people as well.

On Friday October 13th, 1307....King Philip ordered the arrest of Jacques De Molay and many other Knights Templars in France. This is also believed to be a major reason for the mystification of Friday the 13th. I believe there are other ones where the number 13th is concerned in particular. I can't recall off-hand, but I have a copy of Aleister Crowley's "777 and Other Oabalistic Writings" and I believe he said several things about the number 13 in that book.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 4:11 pm

It is officially called friggatriskaidekaphobia :P and indeed there are many legends about the origin of this superstition, reference to the King Templars is one of them (popularized in "The Da Vinci Code"). :) Also numerology (as mentioned above) - there were also references to old mythology, paganism - even Battle of Hastings.

Funnily though, in Spanish speaking countries, Tuesday 13th is considered to be unlucky day - same goes for the Greeks, because of the fall of Constantinople on Tuesday, May 29th, 1453.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/o.htm? ... igins.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 5:51 pm

Humans have a natural inclination towards superstition because we like to see patterns in things, possibly as a form of security. Many superstitions probably arose because one single bad event was associated with the conditions around it. Logically enough, the people who witnessed the bad event assumed that when the same conditions cropped up again, something bad would happen. Over time, superstitions have been twisted and influenced by other factors...a lot of superstitions are based on religious ideas that have been taken out of context and battered beyond all recognition.

Short answer: no im not superstitious

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 5:54 pm

I don't believe in bad luck on Friday 13th, infact, I just got really lucky today that I didn't blow up the computer. I accidently spilt water by my laptop, but thankfully, it didn't even reach there, nor the cables, good thing I spotted that. ;)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 7:20 pm

I've just had some really bad kinks, in my right leg, an hour ago. The last time that happened, was on Friday the 13th.

Kelpie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

Pretty much don't believe in a lot of superstitions. But from time to time, when it's brought up, sure. Pretty irrelevant to me.

Stonecold
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 7:54 pm

I think superstitions are a load of c**p! People only have superstitions because many people believe in the supernatural (which I don't), and believe, whether consciously or unconsciously, that anything is possible.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:09 pm

Callista wrote:
I noticed that today was a Friday the 13th. In many cultures, that day is a traditionally "unlucky" day, and people try to avoid scheduling important things on Friday the 13th.

I realized that a.) Superstition is a reflection of our culture, and b.) autistics don't have as much of a connection with the culture as most people do.

So what's your response to superstition?

I think they're stupid and I never had a problem with that day. Instead it was always fun to pretend so that day I would see if anything goes wrong and blame it on that day when I full well knew it had nothing to do with what day it was.

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:58 pm

i like to point out the ludicrousness of it by considering "unlucky" things lucky

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 1:14 am

I pick the number 13 in my lotto when I buy tickets. It's just like every other number odds wise. If it were an unlucky number it'd be the least drawn.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 1:30 am

Friday the thirteenth is a day of luck. If you believe bad things will happen, they probably will. I didn't notice today was the thirteenth.

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 2:36 am

I used to be superstitious but today I didn't even focus on the fact that it was Friday the 13th.