Using Aspergers as a crutch or excuse ??

Page 3 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:14 pm

I use autism as an excuse to get people to tell me when I'm being annoying. Otherwise, if they don't tell me, how in the world will I ever know? Am I really obligated to wait until they smack me in the face or something?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Bluefins
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:05 pm

I don't use AS / autism as an excuse, as they're very broad concepts. Instead, I go with the specific part that's causing me trouble - I won't go to a concert because the loud music hurts my sensitive ears; I don't laugh at your jokes while laughing at non-jokes because I have a different (mostly literal) sense of humor. It makes it easier to understand for the people being excused to, reducing the chance of them disapproving of it.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 8:14 pm

Reason. Not excuse.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 12:15 am

I don't do this, but I'm not even sure if I have ASD. I don't even care to get a diagnoses. I will never use the possibility of having Asperger's as an excuse. I never knew about ASD until I met my ex boyfriend, and then every thing about my life started to make sense. So in that time of not knowing about this disorder, I found ways of coping with things that were easier for everyone else. I work as hard as I can for the things that I want, even though the work can be long and grueling. I believe that most, if not everything, is possible with hard work.

My grade school days were hell, and I tried so hard but I ended up giving up. I dropped out at 16, but now I'm starting my second year of college at 18. So yeah I gave up, but I got on track again, and I will always work as hard as possible. Happiness comes at a price. :D

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

Spyral wrote:
There was an interesting article on burnout (that I can't find now) that basically said pushing beyond your limits to try and do everything the NT way can, over time, cause one to regress later in life because they simply lose the ability to function normally. Knowing limits and triggers and all of that was important (the article said) to coping through the lifespan.

I think the pushing could be very harmful. I saw quite a few aspie burnouts myself, people who tried to do everything, people who put a lot of pressure on themselves and also were told by others they could do everything... they just needed to try harder.

It took me ages to realize even if I CAN do a lot of things, I CAN'T do them day after day. I could probably work my butt off 16 hours one day if I got the rest of the week to just crash. However, doing thing after thing after thing and never get plenty of rest... I'm sure I wouldn't manage for long...

I thought well I CAN, so why CAN'T, I, and I'm happy I realize this about myself. I think it is really important to know as much as possible about oneself and also really respect the limits. Or you could end up worse in a few years by a chronic pushing and overload of stress hormones... I don't feel a short period of "normal functioning" is worth a lifetime of burnout.

It's hard to work smart, but finding ways fitting yourself is the best, no matter what people say. I know it is really hard to still believe in what comes from inside and not to believe in everything other people say.

My life skills therapist one said rest is also a sort of duty. I never had thought of it that way. I thought pushing until you got ill was the noble way.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:38 pm

I have yet to use it as an excuse but my mom now thinks everything i say is using it as an excuse.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:38 pm

I have yet to use it as an excuse but my mom now thinks everything i say is using it as an excuse.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:41 pm

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 2:48 pm

I don't use it as a crutch, in fact, I make every attempt to overcome the issues that many of us on the spectrum face. I may never be as good as an NT when it comes to social conventions, but I make the effort to come as close as I can.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 5:38 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
I'm sure there is already a topic on this, but sometimes I feel like I use Aspergers as an excuse for life-failure.

I'm not sure if I'm a total failure in life, but what I mean is that I use Aspergers as an excuse for all sorts of things like not wanting to work and be productive and for dysfunction with my family............ stuff like that.

Instead of just shaping up and trying hard to succeed at different things in life, I just say "Aspergers" and hang my head down. Anytime I mess up, I just blame it on Aspergers, clumsiness, social-ineptness and all of that.

I think most people here are the exact opposite, and want people to know it. They don't use it as an excuse, although they probably frequently are accused of doing as much!

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2010, 12:54 am

craig28 cough

Sydney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2010, 1:23 am

I do not also. I am doing a corse for work skills.

Jessi_in_wonderland
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2010, 1:36 am

I like to use it as an excuse to explain why things are harder for me, and to explain my inappropriate or immature behaviors. I think it is your right to have accomodations when you have this. I hate when people say that it's not an excuse, or that if they can do it then why can't I, I think it's a GOOD excuse and that if they had it, they would understand how different it is for me and be less dismissive.
In all honesty, if someone gave me the chance to take it all away and be like a normal person, I'd say no because even though I have difficulties I also appreciate things that normal people wouldn't. Things that don't bother me but bother others makes it easier for me to be content. They are constantly letting a nameless faceless society tell them what to think, what to do, and what is possible. If Thomas Edison listened to everyone who told him there couldn't be light, we'd still be using candles. It's sometimes good to think differently.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

sometimes I feel like I do but then I realize that if I were on par with everyone else things wouldn't be so hard for me.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 10:52 am

Jessi_in_wonderland wrote:
I like to use it as an excuse to explain why things are harder for me, and to explain my inappropriate or immature behaviors. I think it is your right to have accomodations when you have this. I hate when people say that it's not an excuse, or that if they can do it then why can't I, I think it's a GOOD excuse and that if they had it, they would understand how different it is for me and be less dismissive.
In all honesty, if someone gave me the chance to take it all away and be like a normal person, I'd say no because even though I have difficulties I also appreciate things that normal people wouldn't. Things that don't bother me but bother others makes it easier for me to be content. They are constantly letting a nameless faceless society tell them what to think, what to do, and what is possible. If Thomas Edison listened to everyone who told him there couldn't be light, we'd still be using candles. It's sometimes good to think differently.

Me too. I don't try to use it as an excuse as why I can't do something, rather an explanation of why it's harder, or why I have to do it a different way.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 11:27 am

To me, using it as an excuse means not taking responsibility over your actions and delbrately doing things just because you have it and not even trying to work on your behavior.

I think reasons and excuses are two different things.