Why do so many Aspies like to act in a stertyped manner?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

maxisunnygirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2010, 4:53 am

Janissy wrote:
My autist daughter adheres very strictly to gender rules mainly I think because she is trying desperately to find reliable rules that she can always count on to make the world less chaotic. She didn't pick them up from TV, I'm pretty sure. Children's TV (which is what she watches) goes out of its way to show its girl and boy characters not adhereing to traditional gender norms. As far as I can tell, she observed gender differences in preschool (when kids tend tyo become aware of them) and clung to them very tightly so the chaotic world would make sense. She is looking mainly for a reliable system of rules that "the world" can be counted on to follow. For the time being, gender stereotypes seem to be her way of systematizing the world.

That seems to be the reason. I often like to act and see more old fashiond gender roles (on TV and the like) as it feels 'just so' often as a child (and well into my teens) I'd read Enid Blyton books for that very reason

They were set in a world that was 'just so'.

I don't think that it is sexst to be into all the tradsional stuff as whatever rocks your boat works for you.

I know that a lot of people aren't like me (or your little girl) but I'm only speeking from my own expercenses and views, so please forgive me for my lack of knollage.

Thanks love! (Hope you don't mind being called that?) Oh and one more thing 'Janissy' give my love to your little princess, (as I'm sure that she likes to be called that) as we rule at the end of the day and tell her that I'm quite sure that a really nice man will fall in love with her some day and marry her.

Ta now!

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Aug 2010, 9:34 am

Via Wikipedia:

Quote:
The peacock's tail, the enlarged claw of the male fiddler crab and the machismo of members of the human species are all exaggerated features that may cause injury to individuals that display them but attract females.

Personally, I have never had machismo------ I would rather chop off a guy's head with an ax or throw him out a window than sock him in the face. (Via Holden Caulfield)

Loud, obnoxious, machismo laden packs of guys give me the willies, and you see it anywhere you go. It's like in general society your duty is provide this macho facade. I am pretty sure people are fixated on it due to their belief that it is how you attract a mate. It goes all the way as far as overt pridefulness over being "able" to provide solely for one's family.

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 7:12 pm

just-lou wrote:
Quote:
We even have a higher rate of non-heterosexuals (bi, gay, and asexual) as well as a higher rate of transgendered people.

I have noticed this too. Unfortunately, it does give people an excuse to dismiss or invalidate transgender or asexual people as "mentally ill" which doesn't help.
Doesn't help autistics, either. Autism isn't a mental illness any more than being transgendered or asexual. They're all three a matter of your brain being different--in the case of transgendered people, having a mental gender that doesn't match the physical one; in the case of asexuals, being on the extreme low end of the sex-drive spectrum. Mental illness is what happens when something is out of balance. Being asexual can't even be called a "disorder", because the main problem isn't the brain wiring; it's that society's not set up to accept it. I guess you could call being transgendered a "disorder", though that shouldn't imply that the solution is to change the mental gender--changing the physical one is much easier and a lot less traumatic--but beyond that, acceptance is probably the best cure, just like it is for autism.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

xemmaliex
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2010, 3:51 pm

im not entirely sure...
Im a female aspie... i mostly behave like a girl, but thats probably BECAUSE im an aspie (squealing at loud noises, dislike of getting dirty and giggling a lot), but i am such a tomboy- i even wear boys clothes! I am either very childish orbehaving like a politician... but i dont really into the stereotypes of my gender... as i spend my time playing MALE video games and watching typically MALE tv, so i guess i am a tomboy :D :lol:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2010, 5:13 pm

marshall wrote:
Although I'm very male in my physical appearance I feel rather androgynous on the inside.

And I am very female in my physical appearance, but also feel rather androgynous on the inside.

boosterjones
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2010, 6:04 am

I'm very soft centered and in thutch with my femaine side.

However I'm also very 'male' in other ways and I like girly girls the best!

I surpose if I were a girl (maybe with AS) I'd have been the same as I'm now but at the same time I'd have been quite girly and lady like (as I'm quite posh and well spoken anyway) would have often worn female attire and would have acted a lot like a cross betwean Hayley Mills characters and sassy 1930's dames. (from pulp novels and comic strips)

Oh yes and nice looking! Well I am good looking myself.

All in all I'd have most likely been (for the most part) like many of what many men (on this site) would call their dream woman, as my girlfriend thinks of me in that way anyway, so I must be doing something right!! !

Goodbye Till Next Time.