Dizziness, pale skin, body seizing up from seeing doctor

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2010, 10:28 am

It started in fourth grade I can still remember were watching a movie on the heart and I couldnt force myself to watch it so I crawled under my desk. In health class through out middle school and high school when the teacher would talk about body I would start to get real pale and then dizzy, I then my body would basically seize up I couldnt even move my arms. Today I went to an orthopedic doctor to get my knee checked out and I thought I was going to faint while in the waiting room. Is there a name for what I am experiencing? I think it is all mental I just freak myself out.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:50 am

Maybe you have a phobia of some sort?

I like seeing doctors. My skin feels all tingly whenever they touch me. I love it. :)

I don't like it whenever they put that wooden stick in your mouth, though. :x

bdubs
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

I think you are right its probably a phobia

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 3:39 am

bdubs wrote:
Is there a name for what I am experiencing? I think it is all mental I just freak myself out.

There is a name: White Coat Syndrome. The most common and most measurable form of White Coat Syndrome is White Coat Hypertension, where blood pressure is high when first measured by a medic and then falls back to a more usual level when the patient has relaxed.

Your description sounds much more severe than most, but is not so different from people who panic or faint while waiting for a vaccination or blood test (Trypanophobia).