seeing old friends? can you recognize them?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 11:54 am

I ran into an old friend the other day when I was at Goodwill.

I heard his voice and it sounded familiar but I didn't really bother to look, not sure if he was talking to me at first. Continued to look at the stereo equipment, he then came up and said "Hey whats up Conrad" and then this puzzled me. He said "It's me Bam, my name is Bam." (His name isn't really bam- it's juaqime, people call him bam as a nickname from football) Not sure if he was being a jackass and talking condesending, but mostly just puzzled me at first and didn't figure out he could be either joking or insulting my inteligence. "What you up to?" "Well good to see you man"

My reactions went as follows...
"O hey, whats up"
"Just looking at stereo s**t"
"Umm..I'm about to move to pullman next week"
"Ya."

Probably was just joking, but I had trouble fully recognizing him and wasn't really focused on the convorsation- still on the stereo equipment. Does this sound like an autistic reaction? Train of thought?

Can you recognize old friends you haven't seen in awhile? Sometimes I confuse people I don't know with people I do and sometimes that leads to embarassing moments but usually I just assume it is not. I avoid talking to old aquantences usually because I don't have much if anything to say to them.

Prksrbrt
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2010, 2:00 pm

That has happened to me on numerous occasions. One recent one I was walking through my work's parking lot with another coworker and my friend Curtis was walking towards me and I didn't recognize him until one of my coworkers said, "Do you know that guy? He seemed like he knew you." Also I hate mistaking strangers for people I know, that is very embarrassing.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:14 pm

I don't meet people from my ex schools, so I think I don't recognise them. Nobody misses me and generally my last contact with these people was when I graduted school.

I meet one girl from my High School 2 weeks ago and I felt confused. I didn't know what to tell, what to do and I went away.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 2:59 pm

If it was an actual friend (as opposed to an acquaintance), I might forget the name but still recognize the face and remember a few things about him/her. And since I've considered maybe five people in my life as a friend, I would hope I'd never have trouble recognizing them instantly.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 3:09 pm

menintights wrote:
If it was an actual friend (as opposed to an acquaintance), I might forget the name but still recognize the face and remember a few things about him/her. And since I've considered maybe five people in my life as a friend, I would hope I'd never have trouble recognizing them instantly.

well it wasn't a real good friend- more of an aquantence...though I did know him from 7th to 12th grade and had classes with him.

just felt kind of embarassed I couldn't be more friendly

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Sep 2010, 4:24 pm

Once I was walking to a restaurant near my house and two girls in a car drove by and honked and waved at me. I had no idea who they were. Then I got in line at the restaurant and they were in line ahead of me. They waved. I waved. They shrugged at each other. I had no idea who they were. I got home and realized they were my friend's girlfriend and her friend, who I had actually kissed recently.

Embarrassing stuff.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 4:39 pm

jpfudgeworth wrote:
Once I was walking to a restaurant near my house and two girls in a car drove by and honked and waved at me. I had no idea who they were. Then I got in line at the restaurant and they were in line ahead of me. They waved. I waved. They shrugged at each other. I had no idea who they were. I got home and realized they were my friend's girlfriend and her friend, who I had actually kissed recently.

Embarrassing stuff.

lol sorry to laugh at your expence..but it made me ha..

Good story though, sounds very familiar- have had similar things happen a few times.

Keep your head up =)

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2010, 5:32 pm

I recognise all my schoolmates and people I've been together with at the university and I remember their names correctly - about 98 % of the time.
Thing is, usually these people can't recognise me - apparently because I look younger than my age and because I've cut my hair which I used to wear long up to my mid-twenties. So it could be quite an embarassing moment, meeting somebody you know but he just stares at you muttering 'Yes, yes, but I can't place you' under his breath.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 6:33 pm

yes