Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2010, 6:57 am

Anyone have suggestions for toothpaste? I'm in my early teens, and still use the kids toothpaste. You know, the stuff that's pink and has sparkles and such in it. I can't stand any of the minty toothpastes, but my mom says I need to start using an adult toothpaste. I got braces two weeks ago, so I think she's trying to get me to use a stronger one or whatever because of that.

Know of any adult toothpastes that taste like strawberry/bubblegum/etc?

Call me Trish, please.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:07 am

Buy what you want.

Talk to your dentist.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between "adult" and "kid's" toothpaste is packaging and flavoring. That, and you don't get things like "whitening" in kid's toothpaste.

Both do the job of cleaning and protecting your teeth.

EaglesSayMeow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2010, 7:13 am

My only worry is with the braces. I'm not good at remembering to brush my teeth (strange routine) so I feel I should use something strong enough or whatever.

So far though, I've had remarkably good dental health. I've got braces, and had some issues with my lower teeth when I was little (I used to stick my bottom teeth out in front of my top ones, so I fell once and had some issues with that), but I've never had cavities.

Call me Trish, please.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:29 am

I know adults who still brush with kid's toothpaste because they don't like the taste of mint. I, however, am a listerine masochist :lol:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 7:52 am

Speaking of masochistic, I've been brushing my teeth with baking soda. It's the only thing that really makes my teeth feel clean, but I use a mouthwash afterwords to get rid of the salty taste.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Sep 2010, 8:22 am

I don't use toothpaste, haven't for over 10 years now, and my 11 year old son doesn't either.

Anti-bacterial ones are very bad for the "flora" of the mouth and gut.

A good way to help teeth stay strong and solid is to fast for as long as possible each day, eg. break-your-fast at lunchtime, or not eat an evening meal. This may be hard for people who are addicted to wheat/gluten, dairy/casein, or sugar/sucrose, and have to have their morning dose of cereal/toast and milk, yoghurt, etc in order to function, like an alcoholic needs their "hair of the dog", but it is definitely a good idea for the whole body because it gives it the time it needs in a non-acidic state to repair/maintain body tissues including bones and teeth ( eating anything, other than fruit, puts the body into an acidic state for several hours afterwards, during which time the body takes calcium from bones and teeth in order to restore the acid-alkali balance ).

Completely cutting out sugar/sucrose ( and cutting down on carbohydrates generally ) is also a good idea.

The most important reason to brush is to stimulate blood supply to the gums ( avoid gum disease ), but you can also achieve the same effect by eating lots of chewy/crunchy raw or flash-cooked vegetables, nuts, seeds, salad, etc, and flossing when necessary. :)

ghdcanada
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2010, 8:49 am

Hi
Tom's of maine, which is an all natural toothpaste company, has several different kinds of non mint toothpastes, I've tried orange-mango, Apricot and they have a strawberry one that I haven't tried. If you like black licorice you may like their fennel toothpaste.
http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products here is the website, they list all the ingredients and might have a store locator feature, I'm not sure, I get mine at the health food store.

I think colgate also has an orange flavoured one that has orange scope in it but I'm not sure if it's minty or not.

Hope this helps!!
Goodluck!
Lisa

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm

Personally, I think it doesn't matter which kind of toothpaste you use as long as it's something you like and find useful. Also, though, I think that some type of mouthwash may be good as you have braces.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 12:40 pm

I'm not really a fan of the taste of the one I use, but it works, so I use it anyway!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 12:55 pm

Aimless wrote:
Speaking of masochistic, I've been brushing my teeth with baking soda. It's the only thing that really makes my teeth feel clean, but I use a mouthwash afterwords to get rid of the salty taste.

I also use baking soda, I usually mix it with some salt.

It is cheap and effective, and free from strange chemicals.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 2:54 pm

I have always used Crest Toothpaste since I was a kid. I don't remember using those kids toothpaste when I was a kid.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 3:26 pm

I've always used Crest, as well.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:07 pm

Like someone else said, I don't think 'grown up' toothpaste does anything different than 'kid' toothpaste. Actually, adult toothpaste has fluoride while kid toothpaste doesn't...you can get fluoride sensitivities so that can be useful.

A side note about the baking soda...I've used it and it made my gums bleed, bad. It did it for days every time I brushed my teeth. Some people can tolerate it (like the person here mentioned) but I don't recommend it.

As for recommendations...I would try the cinnamon flavored toothpaste. They also make orange-ish flavored ones too, but I think the cinnamon is better.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:39 pm

I can't use toothpaste either. As a kid it burned not only my mouth but my lips. My mom told me to suck it up and brush my teeth anyway until I stopped brushing all together. My mom said the toothpaste was supposed to burn because it was killing the germs but it didn't burn her mouth and if it did she wouldn't have used it. I used dial soap once to brush because I didn't want to feel like I was going to vomit but didn't want to have bad breath. It did not burn or hurt one bit. It seems that something that is intended to be used in ones mouth shouldn't burn either. Many people here swear by Amish tooth powder. My brother and mom pulled a prank on my dad and convinced him to brush with the toothpaste intended for the dogs and he did. He said it tasted a little strange but he could still brush with it. I'm considering using dog toothpaste myself.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:40 pm

I can't use toothpaste either. As a kid it burned not only my mouth but my lips. My mom told me to suck it up and brush my teeth anyway until I stopped brushing all together. My mom said the toothpaste was supposed to burn because it was killing the germs but it didn't burn her mouth and if it did she wouldn't have used it. I used dial soap once to brush because I didn't want to feel like I was going to vomit but didn't want to have bad breath. It did not burn or hurt one bit. It seems that something that is intended to be used in ones mouth shouldn't burn either. Many people here swear by Amish tooth powder. My brother and mom pulled a prank on my dad and convinced him to brush with the toothpaste intended for the dogs and he did. He said it tasted a little strange but he could still brush with it. I'm considering using dog toothpaste myself.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 26 Sep 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2010, 5:55 pm

I just got braces a few months ago. My dentist gives me Colgate advanced clean. Its really good for your teeth, but I dont know if it comes in other flavors...