Have you been banned from other forums in the past?

Page 8 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Twirlip
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2011, 9:42 am

Alla wrote:
Have you ever been banned from one or more online forums because most of the members thought your ideas were too weird or offensive to others?

I have been banned from two online forums, one because most members thought I was offensive and too weird and another where the moderator thought I was a troll or the alter ego of another banned member.:(

The only time I have ever been banned from a forum was last year, from the BBC message boards, and it was because I deliberately set out to get myself banned, as a protest against years of appalling maladministration and increasing technical incompetence.

(I haven't actually done this myself, because it's ancient history for me now, but I imagine if you Google for something like <Siemens Capita BBC website> you might get some inside dirt on just what an appalling contracted-out corporate cock-up the once-mighty BBC made of their once-admirable website. Or I could post a URL to a thread consisting of over 500 vitriolic complaints from scores of regular posters when something worse than an untested alpha release of unspeakably buggy Web software was put directly into operational use, and nobody could start any new threads for over a week. That still wasn't the last straw for me, but I won't bore you with the details! Steam is starting to come out of my ears again, just thinking of it. I won't post the URL, I'm afraid, because it would make me too easily identifiable.)

I had got on surprisingly well with other posters there, for years. I seemed to be quite well-respected and well-liked, even though my, er, quirks were noticed. I tended to clash only with obvious trolls who got on everybody else's nerves as well. BBC message board posters are a pretty good community, on the whole. I still miss the place, and am rather kicking myself for what wasn't even a Pyrrhic victory over the intolerable fools in charge, just a self-inflicted defeat!

I was hoping that other disgruntled posters would follow me onto Usenet, but not a single other one did. My self-sacrificial "protest" was a a total damp squib.

On the other hand, I have lost count of the number of times when a bullying gang of other posters, on some online forum or other, "thought I was a troll or the alter ego of another banned member" (as the OP has it). People seem to quickly pick up on my extreme sensitivity, and decide collectively to give me a good kicking for it. I've just never been banned for it, although in one case, a couple of moderators clearly sided with the bullies.

Oh yes, and the BBC couldn't even ban me properly! I had been posting repetitively over and over again for about a day, demanding that they ban me, before they got around to doing it (to be fair to them, it was a weekend) - and then they falsely claimed that I was some other poster posting under a false identity, even though I had posted there for many years, and had built up a pretty good reputation, and never once got into trouble!

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 9:44 am

I was banned by the American Society of Cinematographers for promoting high speed cinematography and a few months after I was banned several big Hollwood directors are now on the high speed cinematography bandwagon and are getting rich because they can use this technology to charge more for a movie ticket.

Twirlip
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 May 2011, 10:02 am

Amik wrote:
ArtlyBookly wrote:
I've never been banned. I've just gone into forums with high hopes, then realized all my posts were being virtually ignored, then started posting less and less, until finally I got the hint and left the forums altogether. :roll:

Same here. I've never been banned from forums/groups, but I've often left on my own because I was either completely ignored or got a lot of negative responses or bad treatment for not fitting in perfectly.

Yep.

Been there, done that, went somewhere else.

Not happening here, though! I don't get a lot of responses, but nobody else does either. It seems to be the norm here, and I'm comfortable enough with it, although it rattled me at first. As I said to someone in a PM after I'd been here for a while, "It is a bit like taking part in a many-sided friendly game of tennis, in which everyone is a hard server, and there are few long rallies." It's a different culture, and so far I think it's rather cool.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 10:30 am

Indeed. I have been kicked off of two objectivist forums because I am not an objectivist and I do not believe Ayn Rand is the smart person that ever lived.

ruveyn

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2011, 11:10 am

a facebook algorithm deleted my profile automatically because it didn't think i was human.
does that count?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

21 May 2011, 11:16 am

Twirlip wrote:
Amik wrote:
ArtlyBookly wrote:
I've never been banned. I've just gone into forums with high hopes, then realized all my posts were being virtually ignored, then started posting less and less, until finally I got the hint and left the forums altogether. :roll:

Same here. I've never been banned from forums/groups, but I've often left on my own because I was either completely ignored or got a lot of negative responses or bad treatment for not fitting in perfectly.

Yep.

Yep, I've noticed that same dynamic. I can't seem to "connect with people" in a way that makes them value me or "feel entirely accepted" (Although, that one guy was offering to meet me in real life for lunch... maybe I'm a bit biased here.), and the only time I've been *distinctly* positively regarded was when I contributed to the community some piece of software and/or some other product separate from myself that they found useful.

I've always chalked it up that there are those who "connect" and those who "don't". If I just happen to be among the 10% or 20% (or 50-70%?) that don't, oh well. No use crying about not being "special enough".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 May 2011, 11:34 am

Twirlip wrote:
Amik wrote:
ArtlyBookly wrote:

Yep.

Yeah, I've done the same. I exited all online gaming communities for a time because of the constant arguments I'd end up in with people over various topics. And I remember on one forum getting into an argument with someone that seemed academic to him but was directly relevant to my own life for me, and then months later going back to find that he never grasped that the fact that I fit into the category of people he was making assertions about that our conversation was rather more personal to me than to him.

And I mean it related to things like "right to assembly" and such. It was sort of like if he argued that since autistic people like to come here and talk that we're voluntarily segregating ourselves from neurotypicals, and we should be happy to simply use forums geared for NTs to meet our needs, even though many of us obviously do go to other forums geared for NTs.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:16 pm

I was removed from a meetup gaming group because the owner told me they were looking for more experienced gamers. Does that count?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 1:26 pm

Yes I got banned from the myspace forums because I reported people for harrasment.....I mean I don't get sensative about what people online say but it does get obnoxious if you are trying to have intelligent conversations and 10 people are following you around talking crap. So yeah I reported them and ended up getting banned a bunch of crap but myspace is crap compared to myyearbook.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 8:14 am

I have been banned from Clare Sainsbury's list for "University Students with Asperger Syndrome" back in 2001. The reason for banning was my discussion of relation between brain size, IQ and race. I have also been banned from "braintalk communities" in late 2007 for posting a video "eternal Jew".

I would say that my 2007 banning is a lot more surprising than 2001 one. In 2001 I was a new member so, of course, I can give wrong impression if I don't try to fit in. But in 2007 I was posting it in a message board where people knew me for few years straight, so I don't understand why they would take one of their "oldies" and plainly ban them without any warning of any kind. I truly thought it had nothing to do with members and was done on a whim of some new mod who doesn't know me. Later, I learned that lots of members wanted to ban me, too. That was REALLY surprising and made me feel real stupid.

Also, apart from these two bannings, I also lost PM rights here on Wrong Planet because I asked one of the members for money. But the reason for this is simply that I was scammed by someone else and the scammer said the money will be returned in a week or two. I believed him, so I told the same to the member I was asking for money. Right now I know he was a scammer (I learned it hard way) and I cut off all the connections with him. Accordingly, I asked them to reinstate my PM rights, but they haven't done it yet.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2011, 8:30 am

idiocratik wrote:
Forum owners/moderators seem to be tyrannical egomaniacs who don't like to be questioned nor do they like you pointing out flaws. Power corrupts.

Way to go painting all forum mods and admins with the same brush. I actually know a few decent forum owners.

On the topic; no I have never been banned from anywhere.

Valdego_Silentium
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2011, 5:05 am

I've been banned from many forums in the past, including Neoseeker, GameFAQs, Smogon, NetBattle, Tafop, and numerous other small communities, often due to being accused of breaking rules that I did not actually break (most often the "no trolling" rule), if the ban was even given a reason at all.