I get so frustrated with myself these days

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2010, 11:30 am

I feel like I need to vent about my frustrations with myself.

Here's what's gone wrong today. My boss is very laid-back, and he knows I sometimes have trouble sleeping. Poor sleep affects me in a way that's different from how it seems to affect everyone else, because I've described how bad I feel after getting less than 6 hours of sleep, and no one seems to really understand what I'm talking about. This in mind, if I find myself still tossing and turning in the bed by say, 3:00, and I'm not expecting anything to be going on in the morning at work, I'll just leave a message on my boss's phone, I'll try to sleep a bit more, come in late, and it's no big deal. Today, however, I forgot that I did have an appointment with someone at 9:00 this morning. It hit me all of a sudden while I was laying in bed, around 10:00. I've forgotten appointments before, but for whatever reason, I felt particularly bad this time. It all adds up, I guess. It has me reflecting on my disappointment with the kind of person I've become since college.

I don't have a diagnosis, but I have a lot of autistic traits. While I've always had my weird ways, it never felt like a problem to me until I began working. As a student, I saw myself as smart and reliable. I made straight A's in college, aside from two B's. I saw myself as someone who got stuff done, and did it right. But now, as an employee, I don't feel so smart anymore, I'm forgetful, and very unmotivated. While the skills I use in my job are relevant to my interests, what I'm doing with those skills is completely uninteresting to me. Still, this wasn't much of a problem as a student. I feel like I just can't get anything done anymore.

Maybe I just need to get out of here and do something that clicks with me more. I don't know. I just wish I could feel good about myself, my abilities, and my reliability. I used to be that way, but I feel like my mind rejects the working world's way of operating. Has anyone else here felt like their autistic traits weren't a significant problem for them until after school? How have you dealt with it?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm

Well, I failed school and work. I deal with it by being unemployed.

So, you know, things could be worse.

Your last paragraph is your answer; seek what fulfils you.

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2010, 12:14 pm

YES!! ! Granted, I had my struggles all along, but I don't feel it's really been a "problem" until getting a "real job" (and getting married 6 months ago). so yes yes yes I totally feel ya. And I don't really have any more answers than you do right now...other than to just keep doing your best, hoping others understand, and TRYING to let it roll off since you know you're doing your best, even if others don't understand. I'd like a counselor to talk to for advice, but someone who really gets aspergers, and THAT seems impossible to come by. I'm 27 and can't wait to be retired haha.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 12:40 pm

DonDud wrote:
I just wish I could feel good about myself, my abilities, and my reliability. I used to be that way, but I feel like my mind rejects the working world's way of operating ...

I can definitely identify with you and with your dilemma. I know my overall character is good, yet my inability (a good thing, I believe) to accept this world's status-quo as "good" definitely inhibits my satisfactory function within it. I do not have any solution to suggest, but I would say I would rather sit here with nothing than to compromise whatever I actually am.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 12:42 pm

You will always be a n****r at a klu klux klan rally, accept it and let go.

Then move on to where you want to be and forget them as best you can.

Last edited by Surfman on 19 Oct 2010, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 1:08 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I would rather sit here with nothing than to compromise whatever I actually am.

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone else express what I've always felt, the inhibitions that have always held me back. Thank you! :D

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Last edited by theWanderer on 19 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2010, 1:11 pm

to surfman: I just laughed my butt off. Now THAT'S a way of putting it!

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 1:14 pm

Surfman wrote:
You will always be a n****r at a klu klux klan rally, accept it and let go. then move on to where you want to be

I understand what you mean, and I'm not offended by what you said. But the problem is, in that situation, my first and only real instinct would be to try and take out that whole filthy kkk rally. Heck, in any situation, I run across one of their rallies, and my only instinct would be to get in their faces and tell them all just what @$$***** they all are. And I'm not even black. I just hate bigots. :twisted:

I've been that way as long as I can remember. I could never accept the idea of any group of people deciding for some arbitrary reason that another group of people was "inferior". I could swallow a huge bowl of cream of squash, mushroom, and asparagus soup more easily than I could accept that kind of situation - and squash, asparagus, mushrooms, and cream soup are the foods most certain to trigger an immediate reversal of every muscle that leads down to my stomach...

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm

leejosepho wrote:
I do not have any solution to suggest, but I would say I would rather sit here with nothing than to compromise whatever I actually am.

This is something that has been going through my mind lately. There's got to be another way of worthwhile living instead of the full-time 9:00-5:00 job schedule that everyone in the world goes by. It's just not satisfying to me, but society wants to force you to believe that it's the way to go. Of course, money is always the issue, but I really can't believe that humans are meant to live within such a restricting construct.

KSea
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2010, 1:38 pm

DonDud==TOTALLY agree. Although still, we have it better than people in other countries. I suppose if you were content to live in a small house/apartment and not take vacations or buy much, you could work less...just have to prioritize....but I think that's just the way our society is structured so we don't have a lot of choice but to go w/ the flow for the most part, or at least w/o losing in something else also important to us.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2010, 3:07 pm

DonDud wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
I do not have any solution to suggest, but I would say I would rather sit here with nothing than to compromise whatever I actually am.

This is something that has been going through my mind lately. There's got to be another way of worthwhile living instead of the full-time 9:00-5:00 job schedule that everyone in the world goes by. It's just not satisfying to me, but society wants to force you to believe that it's the way to go. Of course, money is always the issue, but I really can't believe that humans are meant to live within such a restricting construct.

So true... I have these problems too, and no-body seems to understand.
I've always had issues, but it has started becomed a really huge problem since I started working.
Straight A-student, but I had my own problems to deal with (bullying was one of them). But now, I just feel helpless and lost, nobody seems to care, and I have huge problems telling anyone how I feel. :(

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Oct 2010, 3:16 pm

TheSpecialKid wrote:
But now, I just feel helpless and lost, nobody seems to care, and I have huge problems telling anyone how I feel. :(

Exactly! I keep hoping that someone will recognize my frustrations and loneliness... if they do, no one acts like they want to help me with it. It seems like it shouldn't be so hard to try talking to people about things that bother me, but I find it tremendously difficult to do so. In theory, it's easy... but I rarely find myself actively seeking the advice and answers that I'm looking for.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 3:37 pm

DonDud wrote:
I feel like I need to vent about my frustrations with myself.

Here's what's gone wrong today. My boss is very laid-back, and he knows I sometimes have trouble sleeping. Poor sleep affects me in a way that's different from how it seems to affect everyone else, because I've described how bad I feel after getting less than 6 hours of sleep, and no one seems to really understand what I'm talking about. This in mind, if I find myself still tossing and turning in the bed by say, 3:00, and I'm not expecting anything to be going on in the morning at work, I'll just leave a message on my boss's phone, I'll try to sleep a bit more, come in late, and it's no big deal. Today, however, I forgot that I did have an appointment with someone at 9:00 this morning. It hit me all of a sudden while I was laying in bed, around 10:00. I've forgotten appointments before, but for whatever reason, I felt particularly bad this time. It all adds up, I guess. It has me reflecting on my disappointment with the kind of person I've become since college.

I don't have a diagnosis, but I have a lot of autistic traits. While I've always had my weird ways, it never felt like a problem to me until I began working. As a student, I saw myself as smart and reliable. I made straight A's in college, aside from two B's. I saw myself as someone who got stuff done, and did it right. But now, as an employee, I don't feel so smart anymore, I'm forgetful, and very unmotivated. While the skills I use in my job are relevant to my interests, what I'm doing with those skills is completely uninteresting to me. Still, this wasn't much of a problem as a student. I feel like I just can't get anything done anymore.

Maybe I just need to get out of here and do something that clicks with me more. I don't know. I just wish I could feel good about myself, my abilities, and my reliability. I used to be that way, but I feel like my mind rejects the working world's way of operating. Has anyone else here felt like their autistic traits weren't a significant problem for them until after school? How have you dealt with it?

It can get worse, has done in my case. Rereading your thread it sounds like you are bored with your job? I'm self employed and will never go back to the job/boss/coworker thing. Its so icky for me now that I'm used to being in charge of my own camp.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

theWanderer wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
I would rather sit here with nothing than to compromise whatever I actually am.

This is the first time I have ever seen anyone else express what I've always felt, the inhibitions that have always held me back. Thank you! :D

You are most welcome ... yet I must admit those words come easily now that I actually *can* just sit here and not have to ever again go back out into that crazy work-a-day world where, in years past, those words used to be more like my own "marching orders" while sufficiently versatile to just turn and walk away from one job and go find another somewhere.

DonDud wrote:
There's got to be another way of worthwhile living instead of the full-time 9:00-5:00 job schedule everyone in the world goes by ...
I really can't believe [we] humans are meant to live within such a restricting construct.

Agreed, and I hope you and others can yet find that where I have failed.

There are reasons people have surnames such as "Carpenter", "Miller", "Butcher" and so on, and "cottage industry" or some particular "niche" is the place to look. There will never be another Bill Gates, but lots of people need someone to help keep their stuff tuned and running well. Overall, almost anything specifically related to the common needs, wants and desires -- food, clothing, shelter, communications, interactions -- shared by all human beings has a potential "market share" available to whoever might just happen to be near a relatively-empty "booth" at a particular time ... but likely not if there is a Wall*Mart or any other kind of "Big Box" store nearby.