Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 6:28 pm

Something I have struggled with for my whole life is getting the right words out. There is often the time that I think something but the word that comes out does not represent the thought in my head. But even though the word that comes out is completely wrong, certain features of that word correspond to the one that was meant to be said.

For example, I have just ordered a pizza on the phone and said "mozzarella" when I meant "pepperoni". They both have a similar phonetic arrangement, with only one-letter difference in length and they both contain a double consonant in the middle. Now, I have two toppings on that pizza. :x

And it doesn't just happen with words. There is a general separation between spoken word and my thoughts, and I have trouble making one represent the other. Especially when I'm tired. I say things sometimes without thought, but a lot of the times, it's just a meaningless mumble jumble or a phrase that has nothing to do with anything (or maybe is only vaguely connected to the situation at hand).

Can anyone else relate to these experiences?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MetalClassicRock123
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Nov 2010, 7:08 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Something I have struggled with for my whole life is getting the right words out. There is often the time that I think something but the word that comes out does not represent the thought in my head. But even though the word that comes out is completely wrong, certain features of that word correspond to the one that was meant to be said.

For example, I have just ordered a pizza on the phone and said "mozzarella" when I meant "pepperoni". They both have a similar phonetic arrangement, with only one-letter difference in length and they both contain a double consonant in the middle. Now, I have two toppings on that pizza. :x

And it doesn't just happen with words. There is a general separation between spoken word and my thoughts, and I have trouble making one represent the other. Especially when I'm tired. I say things sometimes without thought, but a lot of the times, it's just a meaningless mumble jumble or a phrase that has nothing to do with anything (or maybe is only vaguely connected to the situation at hand).

Yeah, even when I'm trying to explain the simplest of things. A good example of this was earlier this school year when I was talking to my previous English teacher about how much better I'm doing in the subject this year. We were talking about a research paper I had done, and how I'm a good writer when given the time, when I wanna be, etc. and that I'm a bright student, etc. and we were actually discussing this phenomenon. As if on cue, I said something like, "Yeah, sometimes when I want to say something it comes out... i say it... all awkward and jumbley..." and sometimes I trail off into a mumble.

You wanna get to know me? PM me, tell me a bit about yourself :)

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 7:57 pm

MetalClassicRock123 wrote:
Yeah, even when I'm trying to explain the simplest of things. A good example of this was earlier this school year when I was talking to my previous English teacher about how much better I'm doing in the subject this year. We were talking about a research paper I had done, and how I'm a good writer when given the time, when I wanna be, etc. and that I'm a bright student, etc. and we were actually discussing this phenomenon. As if on cue, I said something like, "Yeah, sometimes when I want to say something it comes out... i say it... all awkward and jumbley..." and sometimes I trail off into a mumble.

You wanna get to know me? PM me, tell me a bit about yourself :)
Sorry, trying to communicate with me through PMs is dead communication unless I actually know you in real life. Sitting in front of the computer and typing non-stop is not something I particularly enjoy, especially since I have to do this all the time for university. So I always choose to take the real-life alternative whenever I get the chance.

Anyone else? Just curious :D

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

12 Nov 2010, 9:48 pm

oh you know how i take care of this problem? have someone else order for you! works wonderful everytime! :jester:

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:54 pm

MathGirl wrote:

First, Mathgirl is a very cool name --my wife is a mathematician. Second, I am the exact same way. I think the right thing, but by the time it leaves my mouth, it is wrong. My wife is constantly having to correct me or make sure that I say things correctly. Why it happens -- no idea.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm

I definitely have this problem. It makes me feel like people must think I'm not very bright, but the thought is perfectly formed in my head. I just can't translate it to spoken words.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 11:24 pm

when i am tired i do all manner of similar things, not only in speech but in written communication as well, and in manipulation of physical objects in my environment i will sometimes do inexplicable things in place of what i should have been doing, like putting car keys in the microwave oven or trying to drive the car without starting it first.

Chama
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2010, 3:53 am

I do it too, and then I annoy people by going on and on and trying to fix what I was saying.

I also go further with it in that if I'm trying to describe a thought or a feeling, there are no right words for it, so I monologue at people with words that "describe" the word I'm trying to think of and I end up concluding that there is no word for what I'm trying to say and everyone is bored. I even get bored with myself. Words are just too limiting to fully describe thoughts!! I vote that we all become selectively psychic.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2010, 10:38 am

Hi MathGirl,

I don't know if this is the same thing but when I developed CFS I found that words got jumbled up, but mostly it was forgetting words. So for instance I won't be able to find a very common word, then 5mins later it just pops out. I just say, "I lost my train of thought" to them and they are mostly fine with it but it bugs me a lot.

Also for instance when writing this thread I put developer instead of developed but I'm putting that down to common word format when typing. I don't do this in speech.

I wouldn't recommend becoming psychic, you won't be able to control your thoughts and you'll be thinking everyone is hearing what you think.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 11:26 am

MathGirl wrote:

Cognition, cognition.
Yes, only when I'm tired.

And there can be an entirely nonrelated word injected in the mix,

I tried for years to compensate for this with supplements( nootropics) to kick up brain ATP energy. (I'm fine when fresh, but under fatigue I feel elderly, albeit with the E. dysfunction of someone in much later years.)

toastytoast
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2010, 4:21 pm

Chama wrote:
I do it too, and then I annoy people by going on and on and trying to fix what I was saying.

I also go further with it in that if I'm trying to describe a thought or a feeling, there are no right words for it, so I monologue at people with words that "describe" the word I'm trying to think of and I end up concluding that there is no word for what I'm trying to say and everyone is bored. I even get bored with myself. Words are just too limiting to fully describe thoughts!! I vote that we all become selectively psychic.

this made me laugh because it reminds me of myself. i have the same problem not with describing feelings, but with forgetting words. one time i forgot "ice tray" while trying to communicate something about it--and i ended up explaining the function of an ice tray to get my point across. i said something like, "you know that thing you put water in and put in the freezer and the water freezes and makes ice cubes?" it was quite funny at the time, but i feel your pain. it's frustrating not being able to communicate as intended. it's even worse if you finish a long description of a word/idea/feeling that you otherwise can't name, and the person you're talking to points out the word that has eluded you all along and you feel stupid for not thinking of it to begin with. at least, i have this problem.

i've often thought it would be easier if i didn't have to talk to communicate--i'd prefer to just put my thoughts in someone else's head and bypass having to talk altogether. talking is often time consuming and inefficient.

BG
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

I do it, too. I know I'm not as lame a thinker as I sound when I try to verbalize my thoughts. I guess I think in pictures most of the time and realize mid-sentence that I don't know how to SAY what I mean.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 6:55 pm

Chama wrote:

I do this. In the end, words are only symbols created to describe the things we think, feel, and perceive. Sometimes they are inadequate at describing those things. It is interesting to learn a foreign language because you discover different strengths and deficiencies in this area of each language. If only the languages could learn from each other more quickly.