Failed relations with family, familiar ?.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 11:39 am

So this post is about me giving up on having a decent bond with my brother. I just dont like the person my brother is, thats what it comes down to. A part of me hates him and a part of me feels a tiny amount of regret and guilt for not being a better brother to him and being co-responsible for letting him end up like the jersey shore cast member he is today.

We are just so different which constantly leads arguments with him drawing out a childish egotistical side of me which i am not proud of. He is really ignorant and closed minded whereas i tend to see myself as reasonably open minded. His life revolves around parties and alcohol while mine is spent alone. I value intelligence whereas he thinks it is uncool.
(i think) He doesn't see the value in my way of life but rather despises it because it is not the mainstream lifestyle. I choose not to be around people because i am happier by my own most of the time which he associates with the word loser. This is just going on what he says in arguments which is about 90% of the words we exchange so this might not be the most reliable source. But from my experience i have no reason to assume hes withholding his true opinion.

I get along fine with all of his friends whom tell me he can be really loud and obnoxious when he doesn't get his way, and never gives any leeway. Main reason (i think) why i am giving up on him completely. The only contact i have with him now is because i cant evade him forever living in the same house. I don't plan on seeing him again once i move out.

So yeah what has your experience with brother/sisters been like ?.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

I was an only child but the one thing that i did learn, that has always stuck - you can pick your friends, you can't pick your family. You are required to love your family, you are not required to like them.

It sounds as if you put more effort into this relationship than your brother. It is ok to only see one another at holidays and such and lead totally seperate lives. Many people do disassociate with their family for much the same reasons - so little in common that the only bond is blood. You made the effort and realized it's not going to work. It's what we do - we move on and live our own seperate lives. Sometimes sad but pretty normal.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

draelynn wrote:

It sounds as if you put more effort into this relationship than your brother.

This is probably not true, atleast i don't feel like i have made much effort but neither has he. Its just that any type of interaction leads to verbal head butting and trying to prove who is the better one.

Your right i still feel the blood ties that's always going to be there although we hate each other most of the time. The thought of him getting hated upon by others angers me. People did frequently tell me what an idiot my brother is and i really really did not like it.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

I'm an only child...

I've recently cut all ties with my family, but this has been more to do with my mother being abusive than with the fact my mother is obnoxious, closed-minded, ignorant, all about partying, etc. - I used to feel guilty for not having a mother daughter relationship with her and didn't want to cut ties because I'm her only child and she has no partner so I worried about hurting her. At the end of the day people are different and I've never gotten anything back from her on the occasions I've tried to get along with her, so I don't feel that pang of guilt any more. My desire to get her and her toxic family out of my life won over the familial bonds.

How old is your brother?
My understanding is that these sort of problems are common amongst siblings, particularly when they're younger, it's not until you get older and grow-up a bit more that you end-up with a mutual respect for each other.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

lol i can't really imagine living with an NT sibling. I have a younger sister who isn't diagnosed as anything. but i doubt she is NT. she can be a bit obnoxious at times but when she gets on my nerves i ignore her. I hate my mom but my dad is ok. you could try ignoring him but living with him.