Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2011, 5:57 am

hi there,

just recently I bought sun glasses, for the first time in my life - i am 30 now. Before I mostly thought that sun glasses are mostly for show-offs, and I wouldn't need that. Before I often used to tweak (?) my eyes, I closed them abit, in order to see better. I used to do that, and thought that I do this because my eyes are again just not good enough - I have also eye glasses with a very high diopters (4,5).

Now I realize that I did tweak my eyes mainly when I have been outside, and that I can also see better when I wear some cap which protects against the sun. Therefore, I think that I am just more sensitive to light than others, and that therefore I need sun glasses more often than others.

What do you think about it?

thanks,
anton

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:54 am

I think you are right to wear sunglasses, anton.

I have the same problem and have had it all my life. Outside in daylight I squint and my eyes water even if it's not very sunny or bright outside, unless it's totally overcast.

I have to wear sunglasses at all times, but I often lose them, so I went to a thrift shop and bought about 10 pairs for $2 each. Just so I can always have a pair handy when I need it, or else I get a terrible migraine headache from the squinting and bright light in my eyes.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:56 am

yeah, i got this too.
i always had sunglasses, but they usually were 'normal' ones; i didn't like the colour shift and che lightbending at the edges.
just recently; i bought a set of polarised ones, and they are, in a word, awesome; no colour shift, no light bending and better lightreducing then normal shades; while still enabeling me to see in darker area's without taking them off...

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

Well, that explains my migraine yesterday. I lost my sunglasses the other day and it's been pretty bright lately. I've always wondered if I was photosensitive or not; I guess that settles it.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 10:50 am

izzeme wrote:
yeah, i got this too.
i always had sunglasses, but they usually were 'normal' ones; i didn't like the colour shift and che lightbending at the edges.
just recently; i bought a set of polarised ones, and they are, in a word, awesome; no colour shift, no light bending and better lightreducing then normal shades; while still enabeling me to see in darker area's without taking them off...

Polarised sunglasses are great. They don't just make things darker, they also remove glare. Also, everything looks nicer, although I don't know why.

I think you are hypersensitive to light anton. If I go out without a hat or sunglasses, I struggle to see and have to squint and shield my eyes. Luckily I live in a rainy place :)

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 10:55 am

Yeah I'm hypersensitive to light too, I think that's pretty common. On the other hand, I'm also hypersensitive emotionally to a lack of light - if I don't get enough sunlight, I get depressed. So I have to face the sunshine as often as possible. I think I need a better pair of sunglasses, but I have such a tiny head that most of them look absolutely ridiculous on me or simply fall off. I usually have to buy children's glasses!

ezekiel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

I have thought about wearing a hat with a visor. Overhead lights can be painful, especially if I am already overwhelmed. If I close my eyes, the brighter spots are burned into my vision for a long time, as if my retina got fried from starting at the sun--but it is not near that bright. In fact, this is happening right now due to the color contrasts of this page. I have heard about yellow lenses helping.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:21 pm

I would say I am somewhat sensitive to light as well. I very much dislike overhead lights, I always turn on lamps before I would ever consider turning on a ceiling light. I only wear sun glasses when I drive... I kind of feel silly wearing them any other time.

Out of curiosity, if you are sensitive to light what color are your eyes?

When I was a senior in high school and my mom made me get senior photos taken I remember that the photographer kept telling me that I was squinting. He told me that it was because people with blue eyes are more sensitive to light. I've never really thought about it much since then but just did a quick google search and it seems there might be at least some credibility to that claim...

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

I hate sunglasses for the same reason but they came in useful for me esp when the suns falling in my eyes... Here in TX if you don't have them you are doomed!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

28 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

I wear glasses in general, but I can't get used to the darker shade that easily. And when I do, I don't want to take them off. :roll:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm

FearOfMusic wrote:
I would say I am somewhat sensitive to light as well. I very much dislike overhead lights, I always turn on lamps before I would ever consider turning on a ceiling light. I only wear sun glasses when I drive... I kind of feel silly wearing them any other time.

When I was a senior in high school and my mom made me get senior photos taken I remember that the photographer kept telling me that I was squinting. He told me that it was because people with blue eyes are more sensitive to light. I've never really thought about it much since then but just did a quick google search and it seems there might be at least some credibility to that claim...

I have blue eyes, and I'm sensitive to light too. My NT mom is also the same way.

But yeah, I always have to squint just so that I can see outside without sunglasses. It can get really annoying, even though I don't go outside much. :lol:

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Ah, lovely. Photophobia plus blue eyes for me. I wear sunglasses everywhere in all kinds of weather.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

yes, I'm hypersensitive to light also. I wear sunglasses in the wintertime, and outside all the time, every time. Can't leave home without them. I've worn them in a swimming pool even. If I'm indoors, near large windows, I have to put them on. I've always been like that.

*edited to add: I just remembered something.... does anyone else get this? I have been known to get headaches that last all day until the sun went down. If I go inside, and block out all the light, for example,in a room with no windows, then it goes away, and comes back again when I leave the room. --yes, I've actually tried it!-- is that what everyone means by 'migrane' ? Because I didn't think I've ever had a migrane before, unless that's what THAT is.... I once knew someone who got migranes who had to go to the hospital, so I've never had a headache that bad before, so I am reluctant to call this thing a migrane. Seems like whining by comparison. But I also get "atmosphere headaches" from time to time, also, when the high pressure systems are just right. Always just thought it was a quirk of mine... didn't know anyone else got those

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2011, 2:42 am

[quote="FearOfMusic"]I would say I am somewhat sensitive to light as well. I very much dislike overhead lights, I always turn on lamps before I would ever consider turning on a ceiling light. I only wear sun glasses when I drive... I kind of feel silly wearing them any other time.

thanks for your reply!

btw, I also got blue eyes!! :)

see ya,
Anton

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jun 2011, 2:50 am

fleurdelily wrote:
*edited to add: I just remembered something.... does anyone else get this? I have been known to get headaches that last all day until the sun went down. If I go inside, and block out all the light, for example,in a room with no windows, then it goes away, and comes back again when I leave the room. --yes, I've actually tried it!-- is that what everyone means by 'migrane' ? Because I didn't think I've ever had a migrane before, unless that's what THAT is.... I once knew someone who got migranes who had to go to the hospital, so I've never had a headache that bad before, so I am reluctant to call this thing a migrane. Seems like whining by comparison. But I also get "atmosphere headaches" from time to time, also, when the high pressure systems are just right. Always just thought it was a quirk of mine... didn't know anyone else got those

I get headaches from being in sunlight with no sunglasses for a short period of time. If I'm out in daylight too long, I will get a migraine which will last hours. If my migraine gets so intense I turn off my lights, it sticks around. I don't think it's quite the same thing, although it sounds like it's bad enough on its own.

I also get migraines from other triggers. One thing that precedes migraines are auras - usually visual, although sometimes people have other kinds (I have this weird dizziness that fills my brain and the headache itself is sometimes a relief).

silver22
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 4:50 am

I am sensitive to light. I could never understand how my eyes would be bloodshot after 10 minutes of walking around in large city centres when other people seemed unaffected. The glare from buildings can bombard you with sunlight. I wear polarized sunglasses a lot now. My eyes are green. I wonder if there has been studies done on relationship between eye colour and sensitivity.

It is good to be in environments with lots of green plant foliage around as this absorbs lots of the nasty light that harms your eyes. I've grown lots of bamboo around my house to block out the sun. I live in the subtropics so I need all the help I can get.