Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:16 pm

I guess in america it is very much anti the group/society/state helping others in a collective and more about self-help, self-advocacy, self-dicipline. Basically a society that builds its moral values on the attainment of the individual overcoming odds to achieve success through hard work. Not requiring the help of others to reach the level of success they have achieved.

It's some what of a counter productive culture considering most of the worlds cultures don't operate that way and it contradicts our nature as we are evolved from social animals. Social creatures must to some degree show altruism towards other members of the group or the entire collective simply degenerates into a dog eat dog fight with no long term future for the winner.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 5:17 pm

Talis wrote:

Quote:
Personally I'll keep my morals. I'd rather die dead in a ditch with a clean heart than die in a palace with no soul

Morals are subjective. I have a code of ethics in my own head that works quite differently than most. Valuing each individual in the world is a new concept and one that is more likely to get people taken advantage of, abused, raped, and murdered because people forget that monsters do exist. The belief in the good of all and that each person has an equal chance is just simply not true. There is stratification of all traits and capabilities with any given population and there is never a level playing field for anything in life. Unless you are the one tilting the table, you will be given no favors.

I have a code of ethics, but I don't automatically feel like I should be passive and meek simply because I might out perform someone else in getting a job or a promotion or I might make someone upset by getting more money or whatever else that I need/want. Yes, some people take it too far, but some people take niceness and passiveness too far as well. If you try to please everyone, the only one you are hurting is yourself.

Its easy to pass judgement on those that you deem as "lesser" because they don't hold the same moral code: Hell pretty much every organized religion does the same dang thing. However, being high and mighty about yourself while suggesting that others have no soul because they choose to get ahead is just as bad as them suggesting you have no talent because you do not wish to engage in their games.

Understand, I'm not saying you do not understand these things, just bringing them up as a point here about morality and the fact that it is an ill-defined and subjective concept and nothing more.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:19 pm

Talis wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Talis wrote:
You sound very American Asp-z :lol:

I have no idea whether or not I should be offended by that :P

It wasn't meant to be an insult but a direct observation. I've noticed in America it's a pretty normal mind set to live the way you are expressing.

Ahh, cool. Capitalism is awesome! :P

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 5:24 pm

Well, anyone can try to manipulate in the simple sense. Of course, even little kids can be manipulative.

I was thinking in terms of being artfully devious. I was thinking more along the lines of a chess game in a group of people or organization. That's what's really hard for me to understand the thought process of (possibly because I'm just in my head most of the time). I just generally want people to leave me alone. I don't care about climbing any ladders, drama, or getting people fired to move ahead.

That's what I was thinking when I thought manipulation.

The only positive sense of the word manipulate that I've personally heard is in regards to good hand and eye skills with objects.

This is from my American Heritage Dictionary.
Manipulate:
1. To operate or control by skilled use of the hands; handle.
2. Influence or manage shrewdly or deviously
3. To tamper with or falsify

I once saw on tv this guy who was called a "mentalist" and he claimed to have this skill to be able to use words and probably body language in such a way as to get his way or a desired response from others. That was weird. It seemed to work, on tv.

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2010, 5:32 pm

Darkmysticdream wrote:
Talis wrote:
Quote:
Personally I'll keep my morals. I'd rather die dead in a ditch with a clean heart than die in a palace with no soul

Morals are subjective. I have a code of ethics in my own head that works quite differently than most. Valuing each individual in the world is a new concept and one that is more likely to get people taken advantage of, abused, raped, and murdered because people forget that monsters do exist. The belief in the good of all and that each person has an equal chance is just simply not true. There is stratification of all traits and capabilities with any given population and there is never a level playing field for anything in life. Unless you are the one tilting the table, you will be given no favors.

I have a code of ethics, but I don't automatically feel like I should be passive and meek simply because I might out perform someone else in getting a job or a promotion or I might make someone upset by getting more money or whatever else that I need/want. Yes, some people take it too far, but some people take niceness and passiveness too far as well. If you try to please everyone, the only one you are hurting is yourself.

Its easy to pass judgement on those that you deem as "lesser" because they don't hold the same moral code: Hell pretty much every organized religion does the same dang thing. However, being high and mighty about yourself while suggesting that others have no soul because they choose to get ahead is just as bad as them suggesting you have no talent because you do not wish to engage in their games.

Understand, I'm not saying you do not understand these things, just bringing them up as a point here about morality and the fact that it is an ill-defined and subjective concept and nothing more.

I understand your point, but my line of text was just a simple line referring to a mix of quotes. I too have an ethic code... it mainly prevents me from trying to crush people to get my own way. I'm not religious or pacifist... I just believe there are certain things that shouldn't be done to others to better myself. Now I also am not blind to the fact that others will try to do things to me to better themselves... so as best I can I don't let them. Really though my quote was referring to a live by no moral standpoint from the posts I quoted that stated not to live with morals because moral people don't get rich like the successful who don't have morals do. I've been around enough people in my life who believed they were successful, and by a money standpoint they did very well... but they were also very cold hearted people. Thus mainly why a placed a half jokingly statement about where I'd rather die. I'd rather die un-corrupted by a lie of success created by backstabbing and deceit than die bitter in a palace wondering why everyone hates me :wink:

Edit: PS there are also ways to go about bettering yourself without throwing your morals or ethic code to the wind. I don't believe I said anything about people who break ahead in life having no soul :wink:

Last edited by Talis on 06 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 5:33 pm

Jediscraps said:

Quote:
I once saw on tv this guy who was called a "mentalist" and he claimed to have this skill to be able to use words and probably body language in such a way as to get his way or a desired response from others. That was weird. It seemed to work, on tv.

These concepts are not just fiction. I study a lot of the science based behind such ideas. Two major areas of study that discuss this are Neuro-Linguistic Programming and Facial Action Decoding. Books on these topics are Blink, Verbal Judo, NLP for Dummies, Anything by the scientist Paul Ekman, including his book, Telling Lies. There are plenty more, but googling any of these will lead you to more. This is how I became an Aspie capable of plotting out what people are thinking and feeling and when they are lying and how to mask my own "tells" for it.

Darkmysticdream
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 5:36 pm

Quote:
I understand your point, but my line of text was just a simple line referring to a mix of quotes. I too have an ethic code... it mainly prevents me from trying to crush people to get my own way. I'm not religious or pacifist... I just believe there are certain things that shouldn't be done to others to better myself. Now I also am not blind to the fact that others will try to do things to me to better themselves... so as best I can I don't let them. Really though my quote was referring to a live by no moral standpoint from the posts I quoted that stated not to live with morals because moral people don't get rich like the successful who don't have morals do. I've been around enough people in my life who believed they were successful, and by a money standpoint they did very well... but they were also very cold hearted people. Thus mainly why a placed a half jokingly statement about where I'd rather die. I'd rather die un-corrupted by a lie of success created by backstabbing and deceit than die bitter in a palace wondering why everyone hates me

No problem. :) I've worked too long as a victim's advocate and see too many folks who let people walk all over them because of some crazy idea of morality so I tend towards people learning how to set healthy boundaries for themselves, because the sociopaths rarely will (I've met a few who do, but its rare).

Talis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2010, 5:53 pm

Laz wrote:
I guess in america it is very much anti the group/society/state helping others in a collective and more about self-help, self-advocacy, self-dicipline. Basically a society that builds its moral values on the attainment of the individual overcoming odds to achieve success through hard work. Not requiring the help of others to reach the level of success they have achieved.

It's some what of a counter productive culture considering most of the worlds cultures don't operate that way and it contradicts our nature as we are evolved from social animals. Social creatures must to some degree show altruism towards other members of the group or the entire collective simply degenerates into a dog eat dog fight with no long term future for the winner.

I really don't understand America much :? . I plan on at least immigrating North to Canada when I'm able... or maybe some other country once I actually do research. Plus I'm also not sure how easy it is to get excepted into another country as I don't think every country is as blindly open to immigration like America is. I don't feel like an American at all :( .

DeadpanDan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2010, 6:23 pm

Given a competition between a rock and me on which would be better at manipulating anything, I'd bet on the rock.

I've learnt to spot some of it, though I'm unsure if I'm correct or not; I tend to be a little broad with the brush due to not knowing exactly.

Faidin
Raven
Raven

06 Nov 2010, 6:40 pm

I'm pretty sure being deceitful isn't some kind of special talent that we Aspies are incapable of exhibiting - it's just that most of us realize that being false harms ourselves just as much as the person we are deceiving. One squandered, a feeling of self-worth can be difficult to re-obtain.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 7:51 pm

Talis wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
menintights wrote:
Subotai wrote:
It's eat or be eaten.

Alternatively, you can put down the victim card and live and let live. If you want to be bitter about whatever has happened to you in the past it's your choice, but just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean the rest of us are unhappy about living by a moral code and not do unto others what we wouldn't want be done to us.

Actually, Subotai is very right. It is eat or be eaten. Survival of the fittest. Morals are BS, most successful people don't care about them, the only people who do are those who need something to hide behind. Do what you need to do to ensure your own success, that's the rule I live by. Morals don't make you rich.

You sound very American Asp-z :lol:

Personally I'll keep my morals. I'd rather die dead in a ditch with a clean heart than die in a palace with no soul :wink:

In America morals have two functions, 1. getting politicians in office and 2. making other people live by them.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 8:06 pm

Laz wrote:

It's all a giant myth. The modern "American Dream" is a meaningless pile of materialistic dog crap.

By "hard work" they actually mean kissing your employers ass and playing office politics to get ahead. I mean, I'd be fine with the whole "American work ethic" if honest jobs that valued independent hard work, creativity, and productivity still existed in this country. But no. There is no such thing as independent rewarding work in this country anymore. The country is owned by corporations who only want to employ soulless drones and weasley sycophants. Any intelligent person will be happier with a bullet lodged between their eyes than working in this sterile and meaningless society of American nothingness.

Quote:

So called "rugged individualism" is a load of crap fed by the right-wing anyways. It's trying to romanticize something that in reality anything but romantic. Most jobs are utterly meaningless and exist solely to make a profit for some person you don't even know or care about. We don't even manufacture or build things anymore. We don't invent new technology anymore. All of that is left to China now. Our nation is getting dumber and dumber compared to others. America is a post-industrial corporate-owned cesspool. Soon American will join the third world.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 9:50 pm

marshall wrote:
It's all a giant myth. The modern "American Dream" is a meaningless pile of materialistic dog crap.

By "hard work" they actually mean kissing your employers ass and playing office politics to get ahead. I mean, I'd be fine with the whole "American work ethic" if honest jobs that valued independent hard work, creativity, and productivity still existed in this country. But no. There is no such thing as independent rewarding work in this country anymore. The country is owned by corporations who only want to employ soulless drones and weasley sycophants. Any intelligent person will be happier with a bullet lodged between their eyes than working in this sterile and meaningless society of American nothingness.

You have some good points but there are a lot of people who run their own business or who freelance and don't have to suck up to a boss. Rather they have to prove themselves with every task or job. They work extremely hard, often for little recognition. My husband has run his own business and freelanced for the last 10 years and he works night and day because he loves what he does. And I'm a public school teacher - which I have found is one of the hardest jobs I've ever encountered.

I agree that the monolithic corporations are nasty but there are still people who work like hell and give a damn.

I agree that the American dream is a fabrication. It's just rhetoric.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm

i'm an intentionally WYSIWYG person, but i also don't think i would be too good at it. one of my sisters used to manipulate me to do things for her, and it would crush me how cold and mean she really was, and how little she really cared about my feelings (she has bipolar disorder, though it was not diagnosed until recently).

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2010, 11:39 pm

Talis wrote:
Personally I'll keep my morals. I'd rather die dead in a ditch with a clean heart than die in a palace with no soul :wink:

yes. we are alone in our own heads, and we will die alone. if others manipulate me, i can't live with them. if i manipulate others intentionally, i can't live with myself.

and it isn't based on morals. to me, it's all about ethics.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2010, 4:33 am

Though it is more commonly used that way, "manipulate" isn't an inherently negative word/action. If your loved one is sad and you want them to feel better, so you give them a hug, that is manipulating them into feeling better. At least, this is how I see it.

With this definition in mind: I don't think I am very good at manipulating people. I try sometimes, because I want them to be more positive and less lonely, but I'm not sure that I'm very successful at it.