Early "intervention" - does this phrase bother oth

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm

Hello everyone

I have been hearing this phrase a lot with reference to autism/asperger's, and I find it quite bothersome!! ! I reckon early "awareness" is a much better term - "intervention" implies that autism is something to "get rid of". Well, I am one of these people who believes that there are many GOOD things about being an aspie - and that aspies have a lot of traits that could be conceived as better than some NT traits - so why would you want to squash that out of people? I feel that often it is the NTs who need the "early intervention" with regard to how they treat people with autism/asperger's. I feel it is purely a case of everyone understanding the issues - if NTs understand better then I strongly feel there would be a lot less of a problem. I think that aspies bring a lot of good to this World and I find it offensive that NTs want to "intervene" with this so that we can become more "like them" - are they so much better? I find aspies to be well-mannered, kind, interesting, passionate, and bring a new perspective to the World.

What about you guys? What are your thoughts on this issue?

Thanks

Liz

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 11:59 pm

I don't have a problem with the word "intervention". It means "coming into" - someone may need others to "come into" their life to help them cope with problems, like anxiety, inability to handle emotions, difficulties with social interaction ("I want a partner but don't have the emotional skills to handle this kind of relationship").

I would happily say that I had intervention in my 20s. It didn't stop me being an Aspie. It just stopped me from struggling and floundering, so that I could achieve my own academic, social and economic goals. I still spend lots of time on my own, stim, have some sensory issues and executive function problems, and like to investigate "unusual" topics that capture my imagination, even if it looks odd to an NT.

But I am glad that I had the intervention that I did. Seriously, I might have committed suicide without it. Or become an addict. And certainly would have been very unhappy.

Intervention isn't about "curing" AS, or eradicating your Aspie strengths. It is about helping you to manage any weaknesses you may have that are preventing you from living the life you want. AS is both a disorder and a difference. The disorder is where you cannot function the way you want to, where you are unhappy. The "difference" is where you are just you, and you are happy with that.

I am currently seeing a psychologist. It was my initiative, not someone else's. No one is trying to change me, I am simply wanting to learn how to handle some things better - better, that is, by my criteria. But the psychologist told me that I had all the "Aspie strengths".

I guess the problem is when the intervention is uninvited AND when the intervenor tries to impose external (i.e. NT) expectations on the Aspie.

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jun 2011, 12:10 am

I don't have a problem with it. If my mom had let someone intervene earlier, I'd have had a much happier life, and I probably wouldn't have the same issues with my dad (although I'd still have different ones). But yeah, I can see why it seems rude; most Aspies don't seem to have the sort of luck I have, so they wouldn't need an intervention. Just to know what's going on. It must suck if someone's talking like that to you.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 12:11 am

Thanx for your reply, that sounds like you have had a great positive experience with it, I am really happy to hear that you made things work for you so well :)

When you say you had "intervention" though, exactly how did that happen and what happened if you don''t mind me asking?

"I guess the problem is when the intervention is uninvited AND when the intervenor tries to impose external (i.e. NT) expectations on the Aspie."

This is more what I am referring to... When NTs say that it can't be "cured" and that "early intervention" is required... It just triggers in me the response that they want to intervene and "fix" stuff... I still feel as though "early awareness" is a better term, as to me it implies that NTs want to educate themselves and aspies in their care and help them, not fix them.

"Intervention isn't about "curing" AS, or eradicating your Aspie strengths. It is about helping you to manage any weaknesses you may have that are preventing you from living the life you want"

How do you see this as different from all people? I feel that all people have their own weaknesses preventing them from living the Life they want to live (self doubt, for example) - but no one seems to feel the need for "early intervention" with them?

I do understand what you are saying, and I do understand the general intent of what "early intervention" is about - I just feel as though the word "intervention" is not right is all to use in such a broad sense for all people with an ASD.

Maybe that is just me though :)

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 12:20 am

analyser23 wrote:
"intervention" implies that autism is something to "get rid of". Well, I am one of these people who believes that there are many GOOD things about being an aspie - and that aspies have a lot of traits that could be conceived as better than some NT traits - so why would you want to squash that out of people? I feel that often it is the NTs who need the "early intervention" with regard to how they treat people with autism/asperger's.
All that means is that you need to have social skills taught formally, rather than learned. Most kids will also need some help learning how to think in more flexible ways, and how to control impulse. No one is "squashing" anything out of anybody. I could've benefited from some early intervention, as many others on WP. There's nothing wrong with the actual word choice. It's called intervention because you're supposed to "intervene" so that these kids live up to their potential. Otherwise you end up with an incredibly bright kid that can't use his intelligence to become a productive citizen. That's just a waste of a good brain; not to mention these individuals are probably more likely to become depressed if they can't function in society. Don't misunderstand me and say that I want everyone to be normal. There is a difference between being quirky (in the autistic sense) and being socially inept. You can retain your quirkiness and learn some social skills.

Don't bother trying to educate NTs that won't educate themselves. You're better off educating kids that actually want to learn how to behave in society.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 12:31 am

I hear you guys, and see no issue with the idea of helping to educate children with social skills, etc, and definitely agree it is beneficial. I am a Mum and I suppose I just feel as it is my job to help him learn how to work in the World regardless of whether he is an aspie or not.
I dunno, I still can't get past not liking the word "intervention" - I still prefer "awareness", or perhaps "education"? I see it as needing to educate them with a skill in "getting by" in the World purely because it appears to be a predominantly NT world and you just make it harder on yourself if you are not able to use those social skills when you need to. I guess I feel as though "intervention" implies that there is something wrong with aspies and that NTs are just fine. To me it is like saying we need to "intervene"with a minority race in the World as if they are "wrong", rather than purely being less of them in numbers.

Anyway, I was just curious as to what others thought :) Thanks for your input :)

Liz

arko5
Raven
Raven

11 Jun 2011, 6:50 am

One only needs to look at the posts throughout this forum to realise that a lot of AS individuals struggle with their traits. If you can intervene early and start helping someone learn to circumvent their deficits then hopefully it will lead to happier lives, and allow people to reach their true potential (however clichéd that sounds). I'd say the word 'intervention' is correct because it relies on an external person recognising the problems and taking measures to correct them, usually when the individual is very young (thus they can't give informed consent), which could be considered 'interference' (albeit positive interference). Personally I would have liked 'intervention', I wasn't diagnosed until I was 21, and I didn't really notice the traits until mid teens (when social status seems to be most acute), by then it's mostly too late to really learn social skills (so that they become almost instinctual).

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 7:23 am

I try not to get too caught up in words instead trying to focus on the intent of the people behind the words. I've met too many poisonous snakes hiding behind sweet talk and we all know aspies are often abrupt and appear rude when that is not their intent at all. In the right hands, Intervention changes the trajectory of someone's life, and such positive input is better earlier than later.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

the problem with words is that we assign meanings and value to them. It is an act of stepping in to change the course that we in the autistic community should support for our younger and lower functioning members. Mind you this is also about strongly influencing the public discourse on the matter. The intervention is about assisting this person in being able to best enjoy life, teaching skills that help them to avoid the pitfalls that AS can set us up for while also allowing them to enjoy being who they are and not try to "cure" them.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

It's funny how I can feel on the wrong planet even on the wrong planet quite often lol

My issue is NOT with the act of helping children with AS to understand who they are and teaching them skills. Nope, not that at all.

My issue is with the word "intervention". From my point of view, people with AS are just different to NTs. And due it being a World set up for NTs, people with AS need to learn to "speak NT" in order to get by and survive in this World.
If the World was full of people with AS and hence set up for people with AS, would there need to be early "intervention"?

Also, if the definition of "early intervention" is helping kids understand who they are and their strenghts and weaknesses in order to live their happiest Life, well..... Couldn't everyone use some "intervention" as a child? Even NTs struggle with all sorts of issues too, just different ones to people with AS.

And yes, people do assign all sorts of values and meanings to words. And even if us in in the autism community understand and encourage the act of "early intervention", other people who don't understand also assign values and meanings to words, and potentionally the word "intervention" to THEM implies that people with AS needs to be "cured". I still feel that the word "education" is perhaps a better choice, as this still encompasses the act of helping to educate the child about who they are with the intent of giving them skills for a better Life, without the negative implications that also come with the word "intervention".

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jun 2011, 10:48 pm

I agree with you analyser and I do think it can be wrong to insist on "intervention" especially when people do not agree on the direction of it.
My experience with "early intervention" that my son had left me in horror.
Sadly, lots of the professionals that work with the children have poor analytical skills (hate math and such) and impose their own values to everyone (like one can not be happy without social skills, friends and so).

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 12:19 am

analyser23 wrote:
Hello everyone

I have been hearing this phrase a lot with reference to autism/asperger's, and I find it quite bothersome!! ! I reckon early "awareness" is a much better term - "intervention" implies that autism is something to "get rid of". Well, I am one of these people who believes that there are many GOOD things about being an aspie - and that aspies have a lot of traits that could be conceived as better than some NT traits - so why would you want to squash that out of people? I feel that often it is the NTs who need the "early intervention" with regard to how they treat people with autism/asperger's. I feel it is purely a case of everyone understanding the issues - if NTs understand better then I strongly feel there would be a lot less of a problem. I think that aspies bring a lot of good to this World and I find it offensive that NTs want to "intervene" with this so that we can become more "like them" - are they so much better? I find aspies to be well-mannered, kind, interesting, passionate, and bring a new perspective to the World.

you said it best. an intervention is what you get someone who is a drug addict or insane or something. the early education term you suggested is much more agreeable. AnotherOne's point of it being "wrong to insist on "intervention" especially when people do not agree on the direction of it. " is also something i agree with. an intervention is not something i would have wanted. indeed when given the option i flat out refused.