Are Aspies More Intelligent than Normal People?

Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 12:44 am

Yes. We are more intelligent.

In some areas. In other areas we are less intelligent.

My verbal IQ is 137. My motor IQ below is below 80.

"Idiot savant" works for me. I can think of a new philosophy every five seconds but I don't know my left from right.

Omie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2010, 4:29 am

It's the EQ (emotional quotient) that is low. Unfortunately EQ is the bigger determiner of success than IQ.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 8:26 am

Omie wrote:
It's the EQ (emotional quotient) that is low. Unfortunately EQ is the bigger determiner of success than IQ.

You are asserting a statistical co-relation, not a causal relationship. There is a difference.

ruveyn

Assimilate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2010, 8:35 pm

Thank you so much for replying, everyone. The idea I had for the article didn't work and they told me to revise the premise. Somebody else had already written an article very similar to mine. I'm going to see if I can work in this myth somehow when I think of a new premise.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 10:57 pm

Assimilate wrote:
. . . Somebody else had already written an article very similar to mine. I'm going to see if I can work in this myth somehow when I think of a new premise.
All the best with your future writing projects, this and others.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 11:03 pm

nthach wrote:
. . . But I didn't do too good in math. For example, in the 11th grade my english skills were comparable to a freshman in college but my math skills are at the 7th grade equivalent.
That's kind of my experience, patchy skills. And that's okay, that's part of being a regular human being on this planet. Plenty of people who don't have Asperger's, for a whole variety of other reasons, also have patchy skills. Now, the majority of corporate workplaces reward the steady eddie approach, and not patchy skills. But perhaps a minority of workplaces do.

We as people with Asperger's are kind of attracted to high risk-high reward activities (I know I am!). So, keep rolling the dice. For example, I have advocated, keep starting businesses on the cheap, primarily meaning out of your home. One or two might hit, and that is all you need.

BMH
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2010, 11:23 pm

I'd say that judging by this forum aspies, on average, have average intelligence.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2010, 12:00 am

I tend to think that the IQ system is incredibly flawed fron the ground up, but also many of the more specialized tests, including some used for job interviews and similar situations, so I generally don't think in terms of intelligence levels etc.

As for my own scores, I tend to score in the 120s-low 130s in most generic IQ tests, while I commonly score highly in the creative and linguistic aspects of the more specilized ones...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 12:23 am

mgran wrote:
I'd sooner be thick.

are you sure about that? ignorance [i failed to think of a nicer word, sorry] is not necessarily bliss. i tend to believe that if only i had more effective intelligence, that i would have a clearer picture of my global reality and be less worried about things i heretofore didn't fully comprehend.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 1:51 pm

I scored quite low on an IQ test.

Anyway, I know a lot of NTs who are intelligent too.

dreamcaster85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2011, 2:53 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Aspies are not necessarily smarter than NTs but they tend to be more focused.

ruveyn

I agree. I do really well in certain areas. Other areas, though, I am horrible at! People with Asperger's and autism tend to have narrowed interests and it is in that area that they can excel in. Anything with Medeival history, birds and horses I can be an expert on but math, forget it!

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 3:07 pm

pensieve wrote:
High IQ doesn't make you a genius. High IQ means you are ridiculously good at IQ tests.

:thumright:

From what I understand, aspies have to be of normal or above average intelligence to qualify for diagnosis. Oh, and here's my contribution:

http://www.asperger-advice.com/asperger ... igent.html
http://www.paulcooijmans.com/asperger/s ... erger.html
http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 3:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Aspies are not necessarily smarter than NTs but they tend to be more focused.

ruveyn

Yep, the "focus."
The focus finds unnoticed details, and this is a strenght for sure.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 3:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
mgran wrote:
I'd sooner be thick.

are you sure about that? ignorance [i failed to think of a nicer word, sorry] is not necessarily bliss. i tend to believe that if only i had more effective intelligence, that i would have a clearer picture of my global reality and be less worried about things i heretofore didn't fully comprehend.
I don't know... I just find that most of the happiest people I know are fairly average intellectually, but gifted with far more common sense than I have. What's the point of my skills if I can't apply them in a real world setting? The whole thing is rather depressing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 3:59 pm

mgran wrote:
I don't know... I just find that most of the happiest people I know are fairly average intellectually, but gifted with far more common sense than I have. What's the point of my skills if I can't apply them in a real world setting? The whole thing is rather depressing.

i guess that brings to mind what iq tests can't really capture- effective intelligence, IOW how well a person has adapted to and negotiates his/her world. so it would not be fair to call your happy acquaintances "fairly average intellectually" when their real-world intelligence is probably higher than average by dint of how well they live. a better-organized mind functions as a more intelligent mind, IMHO. i agree that it is depressing to be a 8086 in a group of multithreading pentiums, as far as being routinely outperformed [cognitively and otherwise] by one's fellows, and not-so-subtly being reminded of this by everything that happens. people like us should help one another more, as each one of us likely has skills and wisdom in areas that some others do not.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2011, 5:36 pm

I have an average IQ but my verbal IQ is above average whatever that is worth.