Are Aspies More Intelligent than Normal People?

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 11:43 pm

I was told my IQ is 130. Not sure why because allot of people call me stupid or say I lack common sense.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 11:51 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
I was told my IQ is 130. Not sure why because allot of people call me stupid or say I lack common sense.

but you probably have UN-common sense :)

FautheralLoather
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Nov 2014, 11:52 pm

I heard autism has nothing to do with intelligence and the general intellectual level of it are the obsessions that they have, which make them appear smarter.

Knowing me I am just a lady with average intelligence battling up to get at that point, I want to have some worth and clarity from the autism and sadly I don't even have anything close to it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 11:53 pm

FautheralLoather wrote:
I heard autism has nothing to do with intelligence and the general intellectual level of it are the obsessions that they have, which make them appear smarter. Knowing me I am just a lady with average intelligence battling up to get at that point, I want to have some worth and clarity from the autism and sadly I don't even have anything close to it.

do you have anybody in your corner?

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 12:12 am

FautheralLoather wrote:
I heard autism has nothing to do with intelligence and the general intellectual level of it are the obsessions that they have, which make them appear smarter.

Knowing me I am just a lady with average intelligence battling up to get at that point, I want to have some worth and clarity from the autism and sadly I don't even have anything close to it.

I thought we were talking Asperger's, not plain Autism, and Asperger's _does_ seem to have something to do with intelligence: I'll swear to the end of my days that it's not just "High Functioning". It's different, with aspects in common. "On the Spectrum".

And Deb, I have over 150 IQ, or at least did, when I was younger: I may have lost points over the years. But I've always lacked common sense. A lot of common sense is social functioning, which is not really part of intelligence. But social functioning as Aspies do (not) looks like "stupid". Not "low intelligence", just "stupid". I tend to use the word "dumb", not meaning speechless or mute, and after a conversation, sometimes many hours after (once it was actually many years), I'll get it worked through and facepalm and say to myself, "How COULD I have been that DUMB!?".

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:02 am

Some people with AS are, but not all. I think the average IQ of people with aspergers is slightly above average, but that is partially due to the fact that the lower bracket of IQ is excluded. Anyway, on some measures of intelligence aspies tend to score higher (and not just on knowledge, so there is more going on than just being obsessive and memorizing more), but in other areas they tend to score higher, the broadest trend is really an atypical distribution of ability.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:39 am

If NT only refers to those without autism, then Aspies are on average, more intelligent than NTs.

If NT excludes those that are intellectually disabled (<70 IQ), then Aspies and NTs share a similar/identical intelligence range.

Discussing intelligence bothers me, because I think it's one of the most unexplored components of the human mind, and stereotyped inaccurately.

When somebody is referred to as being smart, it's nigh impossible that they have had their intelligence directly measured. There are so many layers in the way of intelligence. Somebody may wow you with their mathematical ability, but that person may have spent 10 more years in math class than you. Is that intelligence, or is that better described to be, for example, a combination of determination and ability to focus?

I also see arguments that IQ tests do not accurately assess an autistic person's potential for intelligence, and thus cause them to score low quite frequently. If this holds true, why does the reverse not? What's to say that an IQ of 160 in an autistic person would not actually be equivalent to an IQ of 180 in a typical person, or going the other way, an IQ of 140. If there truly are different methods of thinking, you would assume that each may be more efficient/effective in certain situations but not in others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 6:58 am

One should, at the very least, refer to Gardner's eight categories of "intelligence" whenever one speaks of "intelligence."

IQ tests were formulated with the attempt to take into account TWO types of intelligence: verbal and visual-spatial. By and large, they didn't achieve optimal success--except, perhaps, as a bargain-basement basis from which to thoroughly assess a person.

If there's such thing as "NT-ness," the intellectually challenged," for the most part, wouldn't fall under the "NT" banner, IMHO.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 7:35 am

Its hard to get an accurate picture. There are problems with using the IQ test as a measurement. But from what I have surveyed:

People with Aspergers statistically have average IQ.

The Spectrum as a whole statistically has lower IQ.

The idea that people with Aspergers have a higher average then the general population may be incorrect and due to how the numbers are calculated. One explanation given was that the Aspergers sample does not include people with mental/learning disabilities and the general population sample does, which would artificially elevate the results for Aspergers.