Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:10 pm

Inspired by Ms. Shadi2's great idea of a thread ONE thing you would like to say to NTs, do visit the thread and express those thoughts; From "One thing you would like to ask NTs" to "Anything you would like to ask an NT" and probably everybody else on here - what would you like to ask?

Though I do not promise to have the answers for what they all may be because even I, an NT, do not understand all or the extent of the Neurotypical conscious, maybe some of you may have the answer to some of the questions, so do feel free to share your insight. So let's have it.. :)

Last edited by NcNbl on 28 Nov 2010, 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gen-ph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 12:14 pm

Erm, well this is kind of silly, but this particular thing is something that's always confused me horribly.

How do you guys know what is proper to wear in an occasion when only given just a word or phrase such as "business casual" or "casual"?

AQ// 41 out of 50
Aspie Quiz// AS: 168/200 NT: 46/200

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:29 pm

gen-ph wrote:
How do you guys know what is proper to wear in an occasion when only given just a word or phrase such as "business casual" or "casual"?

Very cool question! About a topic I'm good at! lol! I'm in the social business and I'm expected to dress sharply than just correctly.. And don't sweat it.. Even some NTs do not know what to wear on those codes even when it says Formal.

Business casual; you need wear collared and buttoned shirts, better if long sleeved but being casual you could fold the sleeves up. it will be nice to wear a tie too for men, its better to have the shirt tucked in too.. if just a plain t-shirt, you need to put a jacket or sweater on. shoes must be leather or suede, no sports shoes, must have socks. skirt, pants or shorts for men, better if khaki or slacks, no rugged or baggie jeans..

as for just casual; just what you would casual wear, but don't go crazy casual wearing pj's, cut off shirts or tank tops - just any decent shirt. any regular cut pants/skirt. here you could wear shorts, any shoes or foot wear - those that would make you presentable and neat but casual.

does that help? :)

gen-ph
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2010, 12:35 pm

Yes, thank you. :)

I've always gotten people very angry because they'll ask me to dress business casual for a party or something, and I'll accidentally come in "casual" or "formal" clothes out of pure ignorance, so this helps quite a bit!

AQ// 41 out of 50
Aspie Quiz// AS: 168/200 NT: 46/200

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 12:40 pm

Glad I could help.. I feel like a fashion consultant now.. hehe.. Just have a tailored look; form fitting clothes for business casual. you would just always need a collared and buttoned shirt, skirt/pants, should be slacks, leather/suede shoes.. you could take it from there. add a jacket much better.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 1:44 pm

What a great thread! I'm happy that there is an NT on here who is willing to help explain things to aspies. :) You're a very kind and helpful person!

Anyway, I have a three-part question: Why is it considered strange/inappropriate to spontaneously start laughing at a joke you think of in your head? Don't NTs think funny thoughts too? If so, how come they don't spontaneously start laughing at them?

NcNbl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 2:59 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
What a great thread! I'm happy that there is an NT on here who is willing to help explain things to aspies. :) You're a very kind and helpful person!

Anyway, I have a three-part question: Why is it considered strange/inappropriate to spontaneously start laughing at a joke you think of in your head? Don't NTs think funny thoughts too? If so, how come they don't spontaneously start laughing at them?

Thank you! That's very generous and kind of you to say.. :) Hi IdahoRose!
And wow! I like the questions so far! This one is so right my alley!! ! lol!

In fact, this just happened to me a while ago when I was having my hair cut, how dangerous was that?! lol I was trying to control my laugh when i thought of something funny, but controlling it makes it worst, you should try it. lol! I was turning so red and the barber finds it very funny and asked why am I such. And I can't explain because they were all just in my head, so i burst in loud laughter and I made everyone laugh too, and thinking about it no one really knows what's funny but me.. haha! If they didn't laugh, they'd find me weird too because they don't see what is funny.

I don't think its an aspie thing, we NT have that too depends on the person's sense of humor or disposition. We can't just laugh spontaneously depending where you are or what situation you are in. Sometimes if I'm in a very serious situation and my imagination is going wild at me, I have to leave the room and laugh somewhere else to not offend anyone because some might think you're laughing at them. This happens quite a lot to me.. But yeah, you can't just burst out anywhere, like not during a eulogy at a funeral, someone's deathbed, someone just found out they have an incurable disease, someone died, times like those - obviously laughing is very inappropriate. lol!

Now for disposition, something deeper, there are people or NTs that are too stuck up too. That they will not laugh thinking its beneath them or they have to retain their composure or think they're too cool or poised to be laughing by themselves in public or even to have such amusing thoughts. And sometimes you could be in a social event or crowd that they don't find it cool to just laugh, you have to be very composed during.. And some just really don't laugh easily.. And other's think it's embarrassing to laugh by themselves because no one would understand.. I tried to explain one time but i just kept laughing adding how stupid am i trying to explain what is funny.. it's like rewinding and rewinding the joke over and over again.. lol! :lol:

Does that help? :)

TechnicalPacifist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:29 pm

Why?

That is all.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:30 pm

Why is it only okay to be obsessed with something if everyone else is supposedly "obsessed" as well? Why did you have sa problem with me being so obsessed with meerkats before and now that Meerkat Manor is so popular, why is it now okay?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

I just like to know from the NTs who were jerks to me what is so great about being so obnoxious and is it really that great to bond with each other while making someone else feel as crummy as possible? It's better to stand on principle and keep a clean conscience.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:37 pm

NcNbl wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

Thank you! That's very generous and kind of you to say.. :) Hi IdahoRose!
And wow! I like the questions so far! This one is so right my alley!! ! lol!

In fact, this just happened to me a while ago when I was having my hair cut, how dangerous was that?! lol I was trying to control my laugh when i thought of something funny, but controlling it makes it worst, you should try it. lol! I was turning so red and the barber finds it very funny and asked why am I such. And I can't explain because they were all just in my head, so i burst in loud laughter and I made everyone laugh too, and thinking about it no one really knows what's funny but me.. haha! If they didn't laugh, they'd find me weird too because they don't see what is funny.

I don't think its an aspie thing, we NT have that too depends on the person's sense of humor or disposition. We can't just laugh spontaneously depending where you are or what situation you are in. Sometimes if I'm in a very serious situation and my imagination is going wild at me, I have to leave the room and laugh somewhere else to not offend anyone because some might think you're laughing at them. This happens quite a lot to me.. But yeah, you can't just burst out anywhere, like not during a eulogy at a funeral, someone's deathbed, someone just found out they have an incurable disease, someone died, times like those - obviously laughing is very inappropriate. lol!

Now for disposition, something deeper, there are people or NTs that are too stuck up too. That they will not laugh thinking its beneath them or they have to retain their composure or think they're too cool or poised to be laughing by themselves in public or even to have such amusing thoughts. And sometimes you could be in a social event or crowd that they don't find it cool to just laugh, you have to be very composed during.. And some just really don't laugh easily.. And other's think it's embarrassing to laugh by themselves because no one would understand.. I tried to explain one time but i just kept laughing adding how stupid am i trying to explain what is funny.. it's like rewinding and rewinding the joke over and over again.. lol! :lol:

Does that help? :)

Thank you for answering my question! You did a very good job of explaining it to me. I'm happy that there are NTs who laugh at their own thoughts too. So it's more about what kind of personality/disposition you have than whether or not you're autistic? I think I understand now. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 3:37 pm

Why do you shake hands?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nightmares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2010, 5:22 pm

ok, why do NTs always seem so happy and drug free??

Why do they have so much energy socialization energy????????????

What is the minimum hours of sleep????

Have you ever doublle crossed anyone??? be honest i have :evil:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 5:26 pm

Nightmares wrote:
ok, why do NTs always seem so happy and drug free??

Why do they have so much energy socialization energy????????????

What is the minimum hours of sleep????

Have you ever doublle crossed anyone??? be honest i have :evil:

I haven't noticed them being drug free...I have known lots of people who like to take drugs. They definitely do have a lot of social drive and desire to socialize which they never seem to tire of.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:27 pm

First I would like to say thank you for the kind words about my thread Ncnbl.

And my answer to your question, ONE thing you would like to ask NTs:

When you are with a group, and the conversation is about a subject you are absolutely not interested in, how do you stay focused on the conversation anyway? I tend to space-out, go "in the moon", and of course it may be perceived as very rude, but I really don't chose to do that, I really don't want to be rude, just because the subject is boring to me doesn't mean I don't care about the people who are talking about this subject, I try so hard to stay focused but it is very difficult.

Shadi

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 8:30 pm

Quote:
When you are with a group, and the conversation is about a subject you are absolutely not interested in, how do you stay focused on the conversation anyway? I tend to space-out, go "in the moon", and of course it may be perceived as very rude, but I really don't chose to do that, I really don't want to be rude, just because the subject is boring to me doesn't mean I don't care about the people who are talking about this subject, I try so hard to stay focused but it is very difficult.

So true. I've been wondering this lately too. How and why talk about things of no interest to you? I thought they must be interested.