When is the right time to tell ppl about AS?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

vetwithAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2010, 11:26 pm

For anyone who's dealt with this, how do you know when it's ok to tell someone about your AS? While I've been aware of the symptoms I suffer from to some extent for all my life, it's only been within the last 3 or 4 yrs that I've known it was AS. My case of it is mild enough that most ppl just take me as quirky or odd but it has made for some rather uncomfortable situations. Part of me wants to be able to explain to ppl whats going on, but I've never been totally comfortable with talking about personal subjects when I don't know what kind of reaction it'll get. And I have a really hard time reading ppl in that respect.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 11:45 pm

I've mainly had unpleasant-to-neutral experiences with telling people so I don't bother any more. I just don't see much point.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

vetwithAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm

I have no intention of telling most ppl I meet. I'm referring more to close friends, family, and romantic interests.

thisisshe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2010, 12:04 am

I've been tempted to tell people on quite a few different occasions. But in a lot of of them, it felt like I was using it as an excuse, and I felt that maybe it was wrong for me to do that. Because I've pulled through things before. I did tell my family, though. That's only because as I started researching it more, I realized it was very much a genetic thing for my family. I know, at the very least, that my mom, my two siblings, my aunt, and myself have AS or at least a lot of its traits.

And I told my partner. We've been together for two years, though. So it didn't phase her much (as far as negatively). Helped her understand me a little better actually (and helped me understand myself once I realized what was going on).

But I would say be careful who you tell. It's messed up, but many people see it as a liability (speaking in terms of employers and co-workers).

If it were me though, I would wait until I was well known and respected for exactly who I am, and then spill the beans if I felt it were the thing to do.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 12:08 am

vetwithAS wrote:
I have no intention of telling most ppl I meet. I'm referring more to close friends, family, and romantic interests.

So am I.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 1:20 am

I told my husband right away when we met online. But I would wait until they know you better before telling them. Telling them right away can make them pass judgment on you and making false assumptions so it's better if they know you as a person first. If they notice things different about you, I would tell them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.