BAP, Healthy Schizotypty and Introversion

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 6:16 pm

I have been thinking that the concepts of "broad autism phenotype", "healthy schizotypy" and "introversion" could be very similar in practice. Perhaps could be little more than 3 different names to the same thing, observed by the eyes of different researchers (for a psychologist, a person could be "introvert", for a psychiatrist specialized in schizophrenia spectrum this person could have "healthy schizotypy", and for a psychiatrist specializaed in autism spectrum or developmental disorders the same person can belong to the "broad autism phenotype".

Any opinions about that?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 6:59 pm

I've never heard of healthy schizotypy. Is this a real thing?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:33 pm

I suppose one can be otherwise relatively healthy despite schizoid and schizotypal traits. However, maybe things would be a little bit better or life might take a slightly different course without these traits.

Nobody is perfect, and worse things are very common. I often find myself thinking "...and I cried because I had no shoes..." when I see an NT in a bad relationship or some other predicament. Hey, it's not like I'm missing a leg or something.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2010, 11:15 pm

Most introverts probably have some austic traits, although these are very diluted and mild.

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 5:36 pm

TPE2 wrote:
I have been thinking that the concepts of "broad autism phenotype", "healthy schizotypy" and "introversion" could be very similar in practice. Perhaps could be little more than 3 different names to the same thing, observed by the eyes of different researchers (for a psychologist, a person could be "introvert", for a psychiatrist specialized in schizophrenia spectrum this person could have "healthy schizotypy", and for a psychiatrist specializaed in autism spectrum or developmental disorders the same person can belong to the "broad autism phenotype".

Any opinions about that?

IA with this, as schizophrenia is also a spectrum *disorder*.

I am probably somewhere on the BAP. I think many people are, I am also the child of a severely affected schizophrenic and I can definitely see some of my behaviors reflecting his at times, as far as the introversion goes, but for the most part I would be considered a "healthy schizotypal", because I lack hallucinations and delusional thinking.

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 5:43 am

I've recently seen a fascinating video about this exact issue:
http://blip.tv/play/AYGHoAKXoHo
Basically, the guy says that milder versions of various disorders (such as schizotypal personality disorder vs. full-blown schizophrenia) persist in the population because they give certain advantages in some contexts. I don't necessarily agree with everything he has to say, but it's still quite interesting.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:15 pm

alexptrans wrote:
I've recently seen a fascinating video about this exact issue:
http://blip.tv/play/AYGHoAKXoHo
Basically, the guy says that milder versions of various disorders (such as schizotypal personality disorder vs. full-blown schizophrenia) persist in the population because they give certain advantages in some contexts. I don't necessarily agree with everything he has to say, but it's still quite interesting.

This is a very interesting video. I scored high for schizotypal traits even though I'm not religious, not superstitious, and I don't believe in magic or ufos or other junk. I might have been if I hadn't had my physics education, which cut out a lot of random thinking which I now regard as erroneous, and simplified things a lot for me. My tendencies against religion might be a reactionary thing. I'm protected from erroneous thinking and cults by the consideration of "...well is that REALLY TRUE?"

I might have gotten out of bounds and acted in a pathological way when I would talk about sciency things at the wrong times and with the wrong people. The difference between displaying socially deviant ideas at the right times and wrong times is the same for science as it is for religion. Now I keep quiet about science-related stuff except around those who work with me on it.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong