Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nicelady
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2010, 1:15 am

I've been taking a class that required me to work with a teacher. I taught a class by myself one day. I got my evaluation on my experience.

The teacher that I was working with made the comments that I have trouble reading social cues, has trouble engaging in socially appropriate behaviors, has trouble adapting to change, has trouble with non-verbal communications. Sounds a bit AS to me.

This person worked with me for about 20 hours. Nothing major happened that was bad, it was interesting to have someone else see things I thought I was doing a good job of hiding. Guess I have more work to do.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 3:20 am

nicelady wrote:
I've been taking a class that required me to work with a teacher. I taught a class by myself one day. I got my evaluation on my experience.

The teacher that I was working with made the comments that I have trouble reading social cues, has trouble engaging in socially appropriate behaviors, has trouble adapting to change, has trouble with non-verbal communications. Sounds a bit AS to me.

This person worked with me for about 20 hours. Nothing major happened that was bad, it was interesting to have someone else see things I thought I was doing a good job of hiding. Guess I have more work to do.

Yes it does (sound a bit AS).

Sometimes I wonder which is best tho, try to hide it more or be upfront about it so people may understand that you didn't get their "cue" or whatever else, and then would find a different way to let you know something instead of being upset and/or think that you ignored them, etc.

floating
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2010, 5:26 am

I'm a bit confused. So you just did work experience as a teacher? Just wondering because I'm studying to become a teacher but I have serious doubts about whether I can do it. I'm particularly worried about the work experience of course. How confident are you that you can do it? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Just interested because I'm trying to work out what is realistic for me to be able to do.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 5:37 am

That's why I am going to work with animals. You don't need any ability to read body language (in humans) with them. Their body language/communication is so much easier to understand because it is more in your face :)

nicelady
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2010, 9:29 am

Yes, I'm studying to be a teacher. The class I taught was 8 senior high school boys. I did a lesson on baking muffins instead of cupcakes for a snack. I started by showing them a video of a female stunt pilot. I'm a licenced airplane mechanic so I thought it would be kind of fun and different for them along with a way to get to know me a bit.

The boys got it, it was a way to introduce myself. The teacher didn't get it. The boys were acting up and being disrespectful according to the regular teachers idea. But I've worked a lot of places where I was the only female. When it's all male, the behavior is different. I've learned that when working in a situation like that, if the men joke around with you it means you're OK in their book and they will be willing to listen to you as one of them. She thought I was trying to be their friend, I wasn't, I was just trying to make a connection. I did that.

I didn't see them as doing anything different from what they do when she's their teacher. But she thought it was different.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep going with school. It's not a matter of not being able to teach, I've raised 6 kids and I've taught a lot of things to many different types of people so I think I can do it. It will just be more structured than I normally do. It's a matter of running out of money right now. Just got laid off, my whole crew was let go. Thirty people.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 9:52 am

nicelady wrote:
I didn't see them as doing anything different from what they do when she's their teacher. But she thought it was different.

Maybe she was a bit jealous of your attention and acceptance coming from "her" male students?!

It sounds to me like you do well as a teacher, and I can think even female students can respect someone who can function in the shop just as well as in the kitchen.