An ironic social difficulty that i'd never thought of!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:50 am

I'm very grateful of the fact that i always manage to gel with people at work, family, and one or two people outside work and family. (this wasn't always the case BTW)

However, it has only just occurred to me that i have never managed to forge a friendship online. And in addition to that, i have only one friend that is on the spectrum.

this may not look like a problem but i do spend almost my entire social day holding up a guard, trying not do or say anything that's a bit too weird. I honestly believe that over the last ten years or so (since special education) I've falsely created a psuedo-NT version of myself. It would be nice for me to switch off once in a while from the constant fear of being rumbled!

Is anyone else in this situation?

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2010, 2:05 am

Just the opposite, actually. I've only been able to forge IRL friendships with weirdos and outcasts. I tried to make friends with NTs by holding up the guard, but I guess I wasn't as successful as you have been. :lol:

I've been OK forming friendships online because I can regulate and moderate better. The times when I've been tired or stressed, I've said (typed) things I shouldn't have and really pissed people off. So now I don't go online unless I've slept properly, eaten recently and am not super stressed about something.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 2:17 am

Spyral wrote:
Just the opposite, actually. I've only been able to forge IRL friendships with weirdos and outcasts. I tried to make friends with NTs by holding up the guard, but I guess I wasn't as successful as you have been. :lol:

I've been OK forming friendships online because I can regulate and moderate better. The times when I've been tired or stressed, I've said (typed) things I shouldn't have and really pissed people off. So now I don't go online unless I've slept properly, eaten recently and am not super stressed about something.

Ironically, i've not had one proper meal today and have been awake since 4pm GMT (about 15hrs). I'm not exactly super-stressed at the moment but i know i will over the next two weeks if i'm not careful!