Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2006, 3:06 pm

When I am reading/doing something else relating to my interests, I find that even though I'm intensely interested in the subject, I can't stay focused for very long at all, and I can't keep my mind on a single topic for very long...always switching constantly between interests when speaking. Anyone else like this?

Because I know I've heard people comment on how focused and diligent I was in my school studies or writing or drawing or whatever, but I'm always shifting between things I think about and rarely get anything completely done. That's why in school in order for me to do well I have to be interested in the majority of classes I'm taking so I can spend five minutes studying this, five minutes studying that, and rotate until I get finished. Same thing works for books, too. Unfortunately, this method can make it difficult for me to remember my original objectives, and I forget stuff a lot unless I have a list to check off.

I guess I was just wondering if other people work similarly.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 10:19 pm

Some days I can think of a hundred things I want to look up and learn about. While I am reading about one thing, I will want to look up something else. Having a fast internet connection only adds fuel to the fire.

This may be of interest solely to me, but I just looked something up before I was even finished with this message.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 11:09 pm

I am most comfortable focusing on several things at once; even when I read a single book I will skip around, read it out of order, the same with watching movies; I watch it with the scenes out of sequence. It's almost like it "hurts" to focus too much on just one thing so I have to spread it out a bit for things to feel level.

I also sometimes will have 2 or 3 songs playing or radio stations on in different rooms so that I can switch back and forth between listening to them.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2006, 11:11 pm

werbert wrote:
This may be of interest solely to me, but I just looked something up before I was even finished with this message.

I did something too in between starting and posting the message :lol:.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 12:55 am

I also read a lot of books that way. I read lots of history books, and sometimes I will want to read only one section. Even if I haven't read any of the rest of the book, I will go directly to the chapter I want to read. Continuity is for chumps.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 10:30 am

en_una_isla wrote:
werbert wrote:

I did something too in between starting and posting the message :lol:.

I always do. Well, almost always. Just not this time because I made myself not. And now I'm about to go over to something else while this gets sent ...

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2006, 11:18 am

I have a thing about readin books from the cover to the cover in as few sittings as possible. after i have read the whole book i then tend to go back through them backwards then interlace through the book. however if the book is an encylopidea i like to start at the back, or if it is a book on an intrest i will tedn to read it cover to cover backwards before doing anything else on my intrist.

hope that make some sense.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 1:01 pm

count me in. I have a very short attention span, unless I'm reading up on a subject I find particularly interesting. In this case, my concentration skills tend to be way above average.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2006, 1:01 pm

I sometimes do go straight through starting at the end and working backwards, other than that I do skip around as a norm.

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2006, 2:22 am

I have a huge attention problem when it involves focusing on something I'm not that interested in. In fact, if its not something I'm downright OBSESSED about (my obsessive interests, or just obsessed temporarily in the moment), it is very hard for me to focus on it for very long at ALL! This has been really really stressful and difficult in college. For instance, 3D modelling programs. I am very interested in modelling a 3D character, but whenever we had to do a car or plane (something big and complicated but really something I hate), it is very hard to focus on it, and every second on it I hate! If its something I don't much enjoy, but its a cinch to do - I'll just do it quick and get it over with. But when it comes to something with multiple steps involved, and it takes a long time and alot of focus, oh man.... I am practically doomed!

THEN there is the problem in my personal life with all my personal goals/projects related to my obsessive interests. I am actually in fact a little TOO creative when it comes to thinking up ideas for new things that I want to work on, that I am in fact constantly overwhelmed with things I would LOVE to do, but there's just too many of them, and I can never choose and focus on just ONE thing! I want to do ALL of it, but ultimately, none of it ever gets finished if I even started on it in the first place...

I have a SERIOUS lack of motivation, drive, and a serious procrastination problem, that my life is pretty much a mess right now and I can't get anything done that I'd like to, or that I need to. And it really pisses me off so much and I wish I could get a handle on it...

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2006, 2:29 am

I've always had problems summoning up interest or enthuiasm for things that don't interest me, its too much effort and its boring!
I can concentrate quite well on something i find interesting, can spend hours focused on one thing in fact and i tend to read books/watch films all the way through etc.
However whenever i watch tv i will usually watch two or three programs at once, switching them over every few minutes. I really enjoy this and don't feel that i miss out by switching so much, i guess i find most TV very prodicable anyway.
Obviously i couldn't do this when anyone else was watching with me, it would drive them completly nuts!! !

sid
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2006, 1:54 pm

I too have a very short atten.............

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 5:51 pm

me i usually get focused on one thing and it takes every ounce of determation to focus on something else. but if my focus is torch 3 (story in head) then all hope is lost like for the last few days that is all i was thinking about i wouldn't eat much, sleep or even come out of my bed to much i'm glad i finally got my hotwheels photographed today.

my other main focus is xemnas and he is usually what i think about (he's the guy in my avatar) i heard that he was based off of sephiroth which is where the bangs come from he also has a black coat that in my opinion looks better then the white and black but that's me.