Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2011, 4:16 pm

Generally, when I first even heard of "autism" when I was about 15.

Then my face was like O_O

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 4:48 pm

I still don't.

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2011, 5:22 pm

Right around my 54th birthday I began considering the idea I was. And there wasn't any question of accepting it. Asperger's explained too much of my history and personality to ignore.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:39 pm

I haven't fully accepted it yet. Believe me I really am trying to, but its so tough.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 5:48 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 21 and still haven't accepted it. I keep trying to convince myself that it's fine, but I don't really believe it yet.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2011, 8:39 pm

I don't think I can ever accept it until I get some sort of diagnosis of PDD-NOS or AS, etc... I have other mental health conditions too which makes it complex. Plus I listen to other people probably too much and various people keep saying I do or I don't have it. That just confuses me.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 4:00 pm

I accepted it as soon as I read about it (though at the beginning I was just toying with the idea I could have it, I wasn't treating it seriously, it was more like: lol, this dude with AS is so much like me, if I had it too, I wouldn't be surprised; Bridget Jones compared it to the situation when you are walking alone and it's dark so you can't see the person walking behind you but you know there is someone like that behind you and that he is dangerous, although you really don't believe in this until you get hit on your head by him - she was telling this in the context of her pregnancy not AS for she was the exact opposite of AS, hahaha).

It explained so much to me. A HUGE burden fell off my chest.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2011, 4:19 pm

I accepted it immediately upon realizing it at age 59 because it answered so many confusing and unanswerable questions about my personality that I had known about for decades. Specifically I began reading about autism on June 2, 2010, spent several weeks researching it thoroughly with the intense attention to detail that is so characteristic of Aspies and saw some very interesting parallels to my own personality and behavior. Then on the night of June 27, 2010, I took several of the online Aspie tests which showed Aspie tendencies ranging from strong to partial (I am strongly affected in all areas except for the communications related traits so I consider myself to be a half Aspie... pun intended). I recognized that the patterns I was seeing in what I was reading were indeed true and the tests only reflected this. I accepted this immediately then two months later on August 26, 2010 my AS diagnosis was officially confirmed. Only six months earlier on January 19, 2010, I knew absolutely nothing about autism when I wondered if someone else's behavior might show signs of autism. That is what made me curious about it.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 12:31 am

I was 24 almost 25...I had a similar experience reading Tony Atwood and I (and still am) getting my undergrad degree in psych at the time so it has developed into a special interest. I think you and I have a lot in common OP =)

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 12:41 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
I've been here for a few years as an Aspie telling my problems etc. and decided to read Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood. After finishing it I broke down into tears!! !! ! I related to every chapter. I realized I'm not alone and there are so many more traits that I have and things that I do practically everything I DO is Asperger's based. So as you guys saw I posted a "Thank You" post and sent messages to a few WP friends. (If I had anyone I would of cried into there shoulder) It was a emotional breaking point or something. I also read another book Toxic Parents which helped me describe my parents/family well. Plus the past few days I've lessened my involvement with family which has helped me emencily. So when or have you accepted Asperger's? :-)

I strongly suspected I had it after reading an article and doing some research. But like you I became emotional while reading the complete guide. That feels like the time I fully accepted it. It made me a little sad to realize that my wiggle room had faded and that I conformed to everything so closely.

Of course I'm not diagnosed and might simply be a brilliant actor who has been mimicking something Ive never heard of for my entire life. I'd like to thank the Academy...

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:18 am

I first heard about AS eight or nine years ago. I looked into it and the symptoms fit pretty well, but I didn't come to any conclusion right away. Over the years, I've been interested in the topic and took various tests. Every test said that it was very likely that I had AS. There was no clear time when I came to a conclusion. I think that part of this is because I have always been more than a little skeptical of self-diagnosis. Little by little, however, my suspicions have become more and more certain as I have more reasons to believe, and now I'm pretty certain about what I am.

I am currently working towards a formal diagnosis. I have no idea how it will turn out. My initial efforts have been discouraging.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 7:55 am

I accepted it last year. And I also did it with the help of Tony Attwood. That man is our god :-)

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 10:31 am

Was diagnosed in Nov and argued about having it just the other day. I know I do have it but there is an emotional component here that is not wanting to swallow the facts...

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 10:39 am

Was diagnosed when I was 21. I felt immediately relieved that I finally knew what was wrong with me, followed by a sense of dread that there actually is something wrong with me. I still havent fully accepted it, sometimes Im ok with it, other times not so much.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 10:58 am

I haven't been diagnosed with it. I only really heard about AS this past January after I found out that a close friend of mine has it. She and I have always been very alike so I was curious to learn more about AS. I started looking it up online and immediately saw a spooky reflection of myself staring back at me.

There are times when I think the label suits me perfectly, and there are times when I think maybe it's all just in my head. Or, I think, if I do have it, it's a fairly mild case. Unlike my friend, while I feel like I have a disability, I can still function fairly well. In other words, I'm better at faking it. I still face many of the same troubles that she faces, but somehow I'm able to cope a bit better.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2011, 11:52 pm

syrella wrote:
I started looking it up online and immediately saw a spooky reflection of myself staring back at me.

Exactly what happened with me too a year ago. AS gives you the drive to really research things in depth. Keep at it and you will be pleased to find that you learn an incredible amount about yourself including many things that you never did know about before. These forums are an invaluable tool to help you dig deeper into these things.