Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ugafan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2011, 9:41 am

I am a mother of a 12year old boy that was diagnosed with ADD (focus) issue. We have tried different meds and behavior mods, but nothing seems to be doing the trick. He has improved, but there are still issues. There is a long history of undiagnosed ADD and ADHD in the family on both sides. There is also 1 cousin that does have Asperger's. My son's diagnosis came about after a melt down that ended him in the ER (they initially said it was clinical depression). I still see behaviors that seem to be consistent with Asperger's and feel the need to validate. My son seems very smart, he does have trouble interacting with boys his own age (sometimes better than others), he tries to control play with others, he seems to play better with children much younger (does not see that this is not where he should be), obsessed with gaming (Alot of kids are I know, but his is over the top.) Very musically talented and artistic. Has trouble articulating thought processes and then verbalizing where other understand. Sometimes inappropriate behaviors, but is seen as smart and pleasant at school. He feels most or all the time he doesn't need to study and he will battle on this. He gets very upset if his grade is not what he expected. He will not ask questions in school (becuase he does not want to bring attention to himself) if he doesn't understand. If he tries to tell someone something or ask a question and they don't understand what he is asking, he will frequently say never mind or get very frustrated. Word text and use or words are often confusing for others. If he explains where someone can understand what he was asking or discussing, then even confusing language or thought process becomes understandable. I do not want to have another diagnosis, but I don't want to ignore something that may need attention. I live in the Augusta, Georgia area and am looking for people that are experts in Asperger's and Dyslexia. I would prefer to go to another town, due to resistance at the current facility to investigate any other options for the behaviors and traits I see. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your input in advance.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:06 am

Much of what you mentioned are indeed asperger traits, I bet he's more comfortable around adults then kids his own age to, a lot like me when i was his age actually and I was diagnosed recently

I'm not saying he has it: a lot of normal kids have these traits, but if you do get a diagnosis i think more often then not it is a positive step towards getting more appropriate help, I'm no expert but perhaps the reason he;s still having issues despite his medications is because he's being treated for ADD alone when aspergers is actually what's causing many of his issues.

Keep learning, talk to folks who have knowledge in this area, maybe find the person who diagnosed your reletive if they're nearby.