Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 9:39 am

i find around other people sometimes i can kinda freak out because of my Aspergers. Sometimes though i can function around others but unfourtantly its only when i am by myself that i can function at my absolute best.

Anything i can do about this because its fustrating cause i want to be around other people and interact with them but i just can't get myself too relax becasue too me NT people are unpredictable and baffling.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

I stopped bothering. Sometimes just the art of letting it go and realizing underneath it all you don't really care if you have friends and you are just forcing yourself into situations you don't really care much for is driving you crazy. Then you nitpick on every little thing that went wrong forcing more despair.

Just give up. It's the aspie way of letting loose.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

I learned to take socializing in small segments. For instance, there was this author who was scheduled to appear at my local library. I wanted to go and hear him speak, but knew that since he was a very popular author, the place would be jam packed. I decided that no matter how interesting his talk, I would leave in an hour. I knew that it would be challenging even after 20 minutes, to sit in a room that was packed full of people, smells, sounds, etc. But I was ready to bolt in an hour. I felt good because it had been planned, and didn't feel like a retreat into defeat! :)

haruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jul 2011, 1:18 pm

I agree with hartzofspace (though the advice may not work for you).

I tell myself to try. It's very hard to try. I think everything will go wrong, everyone will be mean, that it will be terrible. But 93% of the time it is fine, and fun even.

But I always plan an "escape route" in case I start feeling nervous or paranoid or... really any "not-good" feeling.

If my original gut instinct is to stay away, I still try to push myself a bit. I try to say "yes" when people ask me places. And if I make the attempt to leave the house and go then I'm surpassing my expectations.

Bill43
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jul 2011, 1:39 pm

The frustration! Eventually the stress and tension gets to me and I vent about it. I can't hold in my rage and my frustration. It comes out eventually. It could be just one little, seemingly trivial thing that happens, that gets me venting about things.