Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

I mention my idea of a dorm after finishing community college and my sister said there might be age limits. That they wouldn't want a student nearing 30 in with a bunch of 18 year olds. :-( I mention buying a new videogame system in March (around my 25th Birthday) and got the negative response " A videogame system?" You should be getting an apartment. They say I need to think of here/now and the college I'm doing now but I'll be done (I figured up) Spring 2012 then off to the University but if there is a dorm issue I don't know what I would do since I know apartments in Orlando,FL are expensive and Orlando itself isn't too safe of an area to have an apartment. (Plus on top of that honestly I don't want to live alone.) So now I'm thinking on what I am going to do after Community College although that's over a year away. So I was wondering are NT's negative in your life? Thanks.

Seanwookie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2011, 8:31 pm

Some people think I'm too old for pushing carts, when I'm often too shy to ask to move departments because the managers intimidate me.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 8:59 pm

Newageskater wrote:
Its not negativity its an ego thing, to put you down, its automatic, its a mental phsycosocial response to show that the person saying it is above you, and that you are behind for your age.

NTs are really somthing else.

Yes. That makes since I read something similar in a Toxic Parent book I read a few weeks back. Also I agree NT's are something else! Why can't they talk positively?

Rude (would be what they said.)

Nice= Well I'm not sure if there's an age limit (said in a nice/calm tone. instead of belittling!) I also mention going to work with a hangover is inappropiate and got told well you play videogames until 2AM. Always coming back at me negatively!! !

jmjelde
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2011, 9:06 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I was required by the university to be in a dorm and I was 26. That was in Washington State. I was in a dorm in Germany when I was 29. There was a rule against it, but nobody noticed and they wouldn't have had an alternative, so nobody worried about it. If you want to be in a dorm, be in a dorm.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:16 pm

jmjelde wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, I was required by the university to be in a dorm and I was 26. That was in Washington State. I was in a dorm in Germany when I was 29. There was a rule against it, but nobody noticed and they wouldn't have had an alternative, so nobody worried about it. If you want to be in a dorm, be in a dorm.

Thank You. and honestly as an Aspie (and from what I read most on the spectrum) look younger than they are so I could pass for younger than 25. (I'll be 25 March this year.) Hopefully I can be in a dorm. Thanks. :-) (Plus I'm on disability so perhaps they can help me in that area as well. :-)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm

I have AS and I wouldn't last a week in a dorm. It's a miracle I survived My 20's being moved in and out of homes for people with severe mental illness. The last home I lived in before getting kicked out for good I had to share with two men who would go out drinking all night, blast heavy metal music in the evening when I was trying to sleep, and spill coffee and tea all over the kitchen counter which I had to clean up. If I did any of those things the staff would have probablyhave fed me to wolves but it was okay for them because they were "sick" and this was how they "coped". But since I "only" had Asperger's it was not okay for me to have meltdowns, panic attacks or yell, cry, or complain. So I can't imagine being in a dorm WHERE BRAINLESS TEENAGERS ARE GETTING WASTED AT 2AM WHEN I'M TRYING IN VAIN TO GET MAYBE FOUR HOURS OF SLEEP SO I DON'T FEEL LIKE A ZOMBIE THE NEXT MORNING!! !! !! !! !! !! ! :x

...And that, dear friends, is why I was a failure at school, at adulthood, and at life. Have a good evening and good night. :(

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 11:33 pm

Not only are they negative. Female NTs can be catty and sacastic, as well.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 12:09 am

When I was in graduate school, there were grad dorms for first year grad students. Maybe you can live in something like that. It was a lot quieter and more peaceful than the undergrad dorms.

In any case, I don't think that NTs are negative, so much as it is that people like to make everybody fit in, make everybody like everybody else. But some of us don't fit in can't be like everybody else, and wouldn't enjoy it if we could.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:05 am

Not inherently.

In the examples given, it seems like they simply do not approve of/agree with your choices. And they might not be wrong.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Jan 2011, 6:12 am

Moog wrote:
Not inherently.

In the examples given, it seems like they simply do not approve of/agree with your choices. And they might not be wrong.

An ex-roommate of mine was in a dorm in her 30s.

A video game console isn't going to keep you from moving out and finding your own apartment if you've got the means to do so. It sounds like they inflated both the actual and opportunity cost of such a device for the sake of criticism.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:37 am

Verdandi wrote:
Moog wrote:
Not inherently.

A video game console isn't going to keep you from moving out and finding your own apartment if you've got the means to do so. It sounds like they inflated both the actual and opportunity cost of such a device for the sake of criticism.

I was only suggesting that they might not be wrong. I have no idea if living in a dorm at 30 or buying a games console does x,y, or z.

I think what I was trying to say is that these people might have your interests at heart, and that disagreeing with your life choices is not necessarily a negative thing.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 8:40 am

Verdandi wrote:
Moog wrote:
Not inherently.

That makes since.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 9:45 am

I'm betting that, just like Aspies, some NTs are negative and some are positive.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 9:49 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Moog wrote:
Not inherently.

That makes since.
SENSE. SENSE.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 9:50 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I'm betting that, just like Aspies, some NTs are negative and some are positive.
No, NTs are 10 feet tall, breathe fire and are ALL negative.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 10:38 am

The college probably has a floor in its dorms for older college students. You would probably be with upperclassmen or grad students.