I was looking to buy some Asperger's books need some input.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 4:02 pm

As a female I was going to buy Asperger's and Girls by Tony Attwood and Aspergirls by Rudy Simone. My only concern is the books are about $13 each which is fine no problem. but really is this any more amazing/interesting insight or views that you can't already find on the internet? Thanks.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 4:16 pm

Speaking of books, I was hoping to find something to help long suffering wives of aspie husbands. Any recommendations?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 4:30 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Woman-Must ... 778&sr=8-1

Enjoy. She also has one on Asperger's and jobs and as mention Aspies and females.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 4:31 pm

"Autism and Asperger Syndrome" ~ Edited by Uta Frith

I highly recommend it. It's a tough read, because it's directed specifically toward professionals, but from what I've seen Zelda, I doubt you'd have much trouble with it.

It was a real eye opener for me in that it not only helped my understanding of AS itself, but in my understanding of the historical development of the diagnosis itself. I had no idea how little if anything has ever been known of the causes. It's really just about categorization of certain sets of symptoms and nothing more. The real awareness I got out of that book is that because that's really what "Asperger Syndrome" is, it's not surprising so much debate there has been over it, down to and including whether it's a real "syndrome" or not.

That book, along with some others has convinced me that it is real, but helped in understanding quite a few viewpoints I don't necessarily agree with too.

Also, this is the first publication to contain an English translation of Asperger's papers, so it's like reading about the source itself, along with some of the earliest interpretations. It helped me a lot in gleaning how we got to the varied understandings that exist today.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2011, 4:55 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Speaking of books, I was hoping to find something to help long suffering wives of aspie husbands. Any recommendations?

"Aspergers in Love", by Maxine Aston

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 5:59 pm

Zelda, I read everything I can on the 'net, but the books are much more in-depth and offer specifics, organized in a way that the internet is not. I don't know about the two you chose, but I'm reading two by Tony Attwood and am really learning a lot from them. Good luck!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 6:32 pm

tourettebassist wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

"Aspergers in Love", by Maxine Aston

Just be aware she does a lot to promote questionable (at best) views of autistic husbands. See here for just some of the disturbing information about this.

psychobabbler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2011, 7:33 pm

Try the recently published, "Wait, What Do You Mean?" Asperger's Tell and Show, by Martha Schmidtmann Dunne and Aspie Speakers. It is available at www.amazon.com, www.Xlibris.com, www.barnesandnoble.com and www."aspergerstellandshow.com.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 7:52 pm

I would also mention - it might be worth your time to see if your local library carries them (some libraries even have e-books you can download for free) That way you could assess whether the information is helpful to you befor you're out the cash.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2011, 8:54 pm

momsparky wrote:
I would also mention - it might be worth your time to see if your local library carries them (some libraries even have e-books you can download for free) That way you could assess whether the information is helpful to you befor you're out the cash.

I've already looked that route thanks though for the idea. :-)

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm

Specific to your question in regards to "Aspergers and Girls" Tony Attwood or "Aspergirls" Rudy Simone - I've read both and I would spend the money on Aspergirls.

In regards to Autism in general, one of the best books for helping me understand ASD's better was "A Strange World - Autism, Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS: A guide for parents, partners, professional carers, and people with ASD's" by Martine E. Delfos.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Atwood, hands down. It's really the only book on AS you need. The special interests chapter is simply amazing. The book is very detailed and explains all different manifestations of Asperger's, not just stereotypes. This book is what convinced me that my AS diagnosis was/is correct. The book could have been written about me.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

theexternvoid
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2011, 8:15 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Atwood, hands down. It's really the only book on AS you need. The special interests chapter is simply amazing. The book is very detailed and explains all different manifestations of Asperger's, not just stereotypes. This book is what convinced me that my AS diagnosis was/is correct. The book could have been written about me.
-OddDuckNash99-

I agree with this and will add that although it does not focus on girls like the two books the OP mentioned, it does have specific discussions on gender when things are different for girls and boys.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 8:28 am

websister wrote:
Specific to your question in regards to "Aspergers and Girls" Tony Attwood or "Aspergirls" Rudy Simone - I've read both and I would spend the money on Aspergirls.

In regards to Autism in general, one of the best books for helping me understand ASD's better was "A Strange World - Autism, Asperger's Syndrome and PDD-NOS: A guide for parents, partners, professional carers, and people with ASD's" by Martine E. Delfos.

Thanks. I have looked over Rudy Simones website which looks good. I'll look into that book. Going off of Amazon reviews Attwoods Asperger's and Girls book isn't that great (just mainly going by those reviews though) :-)

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jan 2011, 9:14 am

I contributed to Rudy's Aspergirls, and I have to say she asked some of the best questions I've ever heard. It was case after case of me answering and thinking "I never realized how different that experience was for me, I wish someone had told me back then!"
I haven't read the actual book yet, but I'm guessing it should be one of the most down-to-earth, personal books out there.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2011, 9:51 am

andriarose wrote:
I contributed to Rudy's Aspergirls, and I have to say she asked some of the best questions I've ever heard. It was case after case of me answering and thinking "I never realized how different that experience was for me, I wish someone had told me back then!"
I haven't read the actual book yet, but I'm guessing it should be one of the most down-to-earth, personal books out there.

Awesome. :-)