Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:15 pm

Anyone else refuses to use some words because they do not like them for a reason or another ?

I have this problem, I cannot speak like most young people because I hate the slang they use, I still use some of their words because I am always hearing them and ended up with this habit but I strongly dislike some words and cannot say them at all.

I have been having this problem since I started talking, as a teenager, I was annoyed by my parents trying to use them not because they were ridiculours when they were pretending to be young and modern but because I could not stand these words.

I have the same problem with onomatopoeia, there are some of them I may use sometimes but I dislike most of them and cannot say or read them (which is not always a good thing when you work with young children), I remember that I spent 15 minutes on "atchoo" when I was in primary school because I did not want to read it and was even about to cry.

It is like a phobia.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Feb 2011, 1:43 pm

lostD wrote:
Anyone else refuses to use some words because they do not like them for a reason or another ?

I have this problem, I cannot speak like most young people because I hate the slang they use, I still use some of their words because I am always hearing them and ended up with this habit but I strongly dislike some words and cannot say them at all.

I have been having this problem since I started talking, as a teenager, I was annoyed by my parents trying to use them not because they were ridiculours when they were pretending to be young and modern but because I could not stand these words.

I have the same problem with onomatopoeia, there are some of them I may use sometimes but I dislike most of them and cannot say or read them (which is not always a good thing when you work with young children), I remember that I spent 15 minutes on "atchoo" when I was in primary school because I did not want to read it and was even about to cry.

It is like a phobia.

Yes. When I was a teenager I think I avoided as much slang as possible. I think I was up to two or three slang terms I was willing to use ever at 21, although I picked up more over time, they were mostly idiosyncratic and not always current.

I also disliked onomatopoeia, as well as cutesy names for anything (like body parts, like "tummy" for example, I still hate that word and it violates my notions of good taste to even type it out). I also dislike (still) acronyms that indicate that one is laughing. I would say my disdain is almost OCDish in this case, although I do not have OCD.

But these days I use a lot of slang and even some (but not most) text speak. I think I sound about 10-20 years younger than I am.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:05 pm

I will never, ever swear, in real life. Everyone else has picked it up at college and it's a casual thing for most people, but I am better than that.

My most hated words that I will never say. I even shudder to type them in here: Spots, itch, scratch, smell, sweaty, grease, scabs, forehead, mixture. Euurrgghh!

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:15 pm

I don't like it when I get people trying to talk to me with too much slang, just because it's how your 'average' 19 year old speaks, when you know that they wouldn't speak that way to anyone else. It feels a bit patronising. Like they are trying to be 'down with the kids'.... but they completely misjudge me. I used to have an issue with the word 'cool' (referring to something as being good) as a kid, but I'm okay with it now. I've never had a problem with onematopoeia, in fact I use it quite a lot. I have an issue with text speak though, partly because I find it hard to understand but also because I think it's lazy, and people seem to make such a big deal about how clever it is to make certain things rhyme, like ' L8 ' meaning 'late'....well done....(!)
I think I usually use most of the slang I use when I do my gangster impressions because I personally think that people who think they are 'from da streetzzz' are hilarious and they humiliate themselves without knowing it. It's especially funny when you are engaged in deep conversation with somebody whilst using all the gangster talk you can in a deliberately dull and dreary tone, it's got to be done in a public place so it confuses folk.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:19 pm

"Couldn't care less" what does that mean? Why would I unable to care less? Why is it "couldn't" than "could?" I even say "I care less" because I do care less about it, not I am not able to care less. Even if I can care less about something, I could care less.

The n word of course.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

I interpret "couldn't care less" to mean "I care so little I could not possibly care less than I already do." But it's an awkward, ugly phrase, and I don't like it either.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
"Couldn't care less" what does that mean? Why would I unable to care less? Why is it "couldn't" than "could?" I even say "I care less" because I do care less about it, not I am not able to care less. Even if I can care less about something, I could care less.

It means that you have such little care for something, that it is impossible for you to care any less of a degree about it. It basically means the same as saying 'I do not care'.

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:30 pm

I've got a whole list of words I cannot stand. Like Verdandi, I hate words like "tummy" and other "cute" names. I also cringe whenever I hear brewski, britches, sammies (some sick twist on the word sandwich), snack, stink, yummy, most of the French language and cute names for not cute things (like the word tinkle).

I actually feel physically sick after writing all that.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:40 pm

Also I hate it when people my age say things like 'Old Bill' meaning the police, and 'my old man' when refering to their Dad, and calling their girlfriend their 'missus' and calling sandwhiches 'sarnies'. It just sounds to me like they are trying to be 'big manly men' and trying to be all world weary when in fact they are still in their teens. It's called 'Mockney' meaning Mock Cockneys. (people who pretend they are from London when they aren't.)

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:47 pm

I have a strong dislike for swearing and slang. I rarely use it. I only use it when it seems to be particularly appropriate, and there is no good alternative, or if it seems particularly humorous to me. I have trained myself to use a certain amount of slang, just so that I seem a little bit more normal.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 3:21 pm

not only are there words i don't use & substitute for in English, i also do this in Lojban.

it's kind of like the difference between custommade & ready-to-wear; it just "fits" me better.

reasoning." --William Blake

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 4:13 pm

I can't stand terms like "gosh", "dang", "darn", "heck", etc. I personally prefer swearing because I hate sugarcoating. If I'm vulgar it's because life is vulgar.

Azmodania
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2011, 4:14 pm

I have a strong preference for words that fully cover what I want to express.
Most recipients get confused by such terminology, so I used lengthy explanations instead.
That did not work either, so as a last resort I compromise truth to gain understanding.

I dislike swearing and abbreviations.
Lately I find myself using words I dislike and then wonder after I uttered them.
I suspect that is automatic scripting at work and now question my identity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 4:47 pm

I get annoyed when people use slang words when they talk to me, and they talk like a Valley Girl at the same time. I'm not like most people of the century and if somebody talks to me like a Valley Girl, it puts a distance between me and that person. I only speak one language. That language is English. I don't speak Gangster, Valley Talk or swear my head off.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

lostD,

I am the SAME way. I could probably list well over 100 words that, while I know them, etc... I don't want to ever use, and may never have USED! Between baby talk, slang, words that are effectively worthless, co-opted words, and words used only by certain groups, it could really add up.

HECK, I couldn't even remember using mommy or daddy, although my mother told me about a sentence I said around 14mo old that had the word daddy in it. SOME "baby talk" I maybe said until I was 6 maybe(HECK wee wee could have THREE meanings! Who needs THAT!?), though some stop much later. When I was five, I know I referred to my parents only by name, unless relationship was important, and I would say mother or father.

WHY does society teach kids words they use later only to teach others about? And what of POTTY? You know, it took me almost 50 years to learn that that is also British for CRAZY! One British guy called his site pottypotty.com! I guess he let his domain name expire. 8-)

CockneyRebel,

Don't you just HATE Moon zappa!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489pO9q8guA

Hey, I once lived near the sherman oaks galeria! It is ASTOUNDING what people get paid for!

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 6:41 pm

There are tons of words I just hate the way sound. Just like texture of foods, some words I can't stand because the texture on my tongues just feels really wrong.

A list of some words:

Mommy <---like some other people

Daddy <---like some other people

Cooch <---I absolutely...just...no...I can't say it...well I just wrote it, but it sounds awful I hate hate this word. Something aboutt the texture and the way it rolls on the tongue...ewgh

Vagina <----and not because its considered a "sexual part" or some people take it for a "sexual" word. But I hate the word because I don't like the way it feels on the tongue, texture wise. Usually I just say "private" for both sexes. I just can't stand the texture of the words

I sound weird association texture with words