Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 10:03 am

As some of you may know, we were not able to get our flu shots this year because of a shortage of something in the flu facility in England. Unfortunately, quite a few of my teachers are sick. As a result, they are getting cold symptoms because of the weather. The weather probably served as revenge for not all of us getting our flu shots. In fact, I have today off from school because there is too much snow on the roads where I live. However, do any of you have an idea that weather is an important factor?

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 10:09 am

My theory is only in so much as when the weather is lousy people spend more time herded together in places where air can't circulate as freely to keep the cold out, so airborne diseases/organisms spread and multiply quicker. wet weather is worse for this as the air contains more water droplets to support bacteria/viruses.

dunc :nerdy:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 11:21 am

A flu jab does not stop people getting cold symptoms anyway- it stops people getting the most popular strain of flu. But being stuck in poorly ventilated rooms with lots of people isn't going to be conduscive to good health anyway.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2005, 1:38 pm

the epidemiology of any airborne virus is exactly that as described by duncvis and melvis.