Theory Of Knowledge - A Happy Thought

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:03 pm

I thought I'd share something with you all that puts Asperger's in a positive light and certainly made me chuckle.

My daughter (17) is studying for the International Baccalaureate (IB). For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the IB is internationally recognised as one of the toughest courses to pass at this level of schooling. It's a course for only the smartest kids.

At the core of the IB is a subject they call theory of knowledge. The students have to study this subject for 2 years and have to pass it or they fail the whole of the IB. This theory of knowledge is what sets the IB above the others.

My daughter, who has Asperger's, was getting all upset over theory of knowledge (TOK). She couldn't work out what it was all about. She talked to her class mates who said they were also finding it difficult. She said that TOK is thinking about something in lots of different ways and to pass you had to be able to do this. Oh no, I thought. Someone with Asperger's is never going to be able to do this. She can't even get her head around what she is supposed to be doing, let alone do it.

So a meeting was arranged with the school, the TOK teacher, the special needs teacher, the autism occupational therapist from the hospital and me so that we could look at exactly what was expected and find ways to try and help her get through it.

The TOK teacher explained in detail what TOK was. It's not about thinking in different ways. It's about thinking in a specific way, what the IB refer to as 'higher level thinking'. The different ways my daughter was refering to was the steps they try to get the students closer to this higher level thinking. They are not expected to get there. That's the ideal aim, but in all likelyhood they will only move up a few steps.

He then explained what 'higher level thinking' was. I looked at the autism expert, she looked at me and then we both burst out laughing and laughed till we cried. Theory of knowledge, the core of the IB learning ethos is all about teaching students to think like Aspies. 8)

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:22 pm

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... They have a sequential process to teach out of the box thinking? It doesn't sound like they get it. A true out of the the box thinker would have serious issues getting in the box they have created to artificially teach something they were born with. *boggle*

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:28 pm

j0sh wrote:
I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly... They have a sequential process to teach out of the box thinking? It doesn't sound like they get it. A true out of the the box thinker would have serious issues getting in the box they have created to artificially teach something they were born with. *boggle*

There is no box. :compress:

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:49 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:

But "box" rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "perspective of statistical majority." :-)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:58 pm

j0sh wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

But "box" rolls off the tongue a lot easier than "perspective of statistical majority." :-)
:hail: :lmao: :hail:

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 2:21 pm

:D

Teacher35
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2011, 4:20 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
He then explained what 'higher level thinking' was. I looked at the autism expert, she looked at me and then we both burst out laughing and laughed till we cried. Theory of knowledge, the core of the IB learning ethos is all about teaching students to think like Aspies. 8)

Well this makes sense since it is a UN brainwashing program.

It ought to be banned from the USA.

Check out truthaboutib dot com

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 5:08 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:

That seems about right to me. I work with a lot of top scientists. I don't think that there are many Aspies among them, but they all have strong Aspie-like traits. I think that thinking like an Aspie is a good thing. If we can get everybody to take a course like that, the world would be a much better place.