Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 12:27 am

Do any of you read much on WP about AS and relate to the posters/watch videos about ASDs/read about ASDs/etc. but have trouble with thinking, "I'm autistic"?
To elaborate, I read a lot about AS (as well as watch videos about it and I read many topics on WP), but when I do sit down to think, "I actually have this," it feels... peculiar. Not the chair, but the realization of the fact that I actually have what I've read about and watched.

Is this some stage of denial? I have been diagnosed since early 2006, but sometimes I still don't feel like I can think "I have Asperger's Syndrome" in my head. I talk about it all the time on this site and occasionally in person, and I relate to much of what the Aspies on here (and other sites) post, but it still feels weird for me to think that I have AS. I'm fifteen, so it isn't like I went decades without a diagnosis; I was diagnosed at ten.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:16 am

If you define AS by the perceptions that NT's tend to have of it, and adopt those perceptions, then I can see how you might feel that way because such perceptions are generally wrong.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:27 am

I feel that way sometimes too. I start to think too much about it, and seemingly try to convince myself that I don't have it, but then I analyze my actions and everything, and then I know again that I have it. It does feel weird to say to myself or other people that I have it though, I don't know why...

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 5:37 am

No. I don't even think to myself: "I have Asperger's" or "I have HFA." I think: "I'm autistic." I am, and I'm comfortable with that.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 5:39 am

No, I am comfortable with myself. The question is are you comfortable with yourself?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Feb 2011, 5:42 am

Kaybee wrote:
No. I don't even think to myself: "I have Asperger's" or "I have HFA." I think: "I'm autistic." I am, and I'm comfortable with that.

This. I still have doubts for various reasons, but the basis of everything comes back to this.

My doubts are actually more about lacking a frame of reference against which to judge my own behavior.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:45 pm

My feelings can't be accurately described by means of words, unfortunately.
My original post is probably hard to understand.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:58 pm

I'm more worried that I have something more severe than AS.

My AS friends have a tendency to act and look like they don't have it at all. I can only recognize their AS based on their amount of eye contact, stims, and habits.