Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Deity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Apr 2013, 10:13 pm

Just recently I realized that my interests and way of looking at certain activities tend to cycle in and out of certain interests. I had previously noticed this with video games, but now it seems to happen even with social and academic preferences. For example, for a few months, I will be interested in doing well in school, and for a while after that I will let myself fail school. I'm starting to think that this abnormal and blatant regular change in my behavior is somewhat due to my AS, but I don't have enough evidence to conclude it.

Does anyone else with AS face challenges with radical changes in interests over multiple areas?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:41 pm

sounds like immaturity to me. if I commit to something, I follow through with my best effort.

RagingShadow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2013, 10:44 pm

with the exception of one or two really intense interests, I tend to cycle through things too.
Star Wars for a few months, then read all the Harry Potter books twice, then watch all the Star Trek Next Gen episodes, then focus on school, etc

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 12:10 am

Similar here, although this has mellowed in my Thirties thankfully. I am still careful not to commit to anything major to do with my interests too long in advance though.

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2013, 2:12 am

I too cycle, from being completely absorbed to becoming burned-out, on most everything. This is a major reason why I have yet to get myself to go to college or pursue a real career. I have never had anyone accuse me of being immature before, and I do not think that is what is going on here.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 2:54 am

I made similar experiences. I have like 4-5 different maininteressts since years and between those I cycle back and forth.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 3:00 am

Yes, my intense elective interests peek and then wain. Something that I was obsessive about doing becomes something I no longer have much interest in. Then it becomes a major interest again. Pick it up, drop it, pick it up again.

But something like school isn't an interest. It's a duty and an obligation. I don't waver when it comes to a duty and obligation.

Deity
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2013, 2:21 am

Is this perhaps an effect of AS? I haven't read about cyclical behaviors in aspies anywhere. Is anyone able to provide a link to a credible source that verifies it?

By the way, thanks for sharing this with me. This really helps me reach an understanding about myself.

MusicalWonders
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2013, 9:23 am

I have trouble sticking to things as well. c:

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

Depends. Some things I'll always have an interest in, but sometimes I'm just looking for the novelty of something new. I never know what will stay with me when the novelty wears off. <mom hat> I do think it's important to follow through on commitments, just be careful about what you make them for. :)

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

I cycle because I can't think about all of my interests at the same time or I get a massive migraine. Just talking shallowly about anything I know a lot about while I'm not into it gives me a headache. And because I like variation (of the same things). Though of course I didn't realize this at first.