Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Xinro
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2011, 3:02 pm

A lot of times, we just need something small to stim on, something to play with and distract ourselves from the world, a way to keep calm. Here's a tutorial on how to make a thing I call a stim band, a little device which is easy to hide in a pocket or wear and allows stimming in social situations.

Supplies:
- Textured beads or a beaded teething ring
- Elastic
- Sewing needle
- Thread

1. Go and get supplies that you like. Mine is made from beads off of a teething ring, yours could be any beads that you like and think have a good texture to them. If you're using a teething ring, check to make sure the beads can be removed from it without too much hassle. If there's a cord in the center, you're good to go.

2. If using a teething ring, remove the packaging and then bend it carefully to reveal the inner cord. Use a pair of scissors to cut it apart and put the beads in a pile. If you're not using a teething ring, just put the beads you're planning to use in a pile.

3. Cut a length of elastic to whatever size you wish to use for your band. In mine, I'm using an elastic hair band.

4. String beads onto the elastic in whatever pattern you wish.

5. Trim the ends of the elastic if it's too long. I sized mine to fit around my wrist.

6. Thread the needle with your thread and tie off the end in a small knot.

7. Overlap the ends of the elastic and sew them together until they feel like they are secure and will not easily come apart.

8. Clip the ends of the thread and tie it off, then cut any loose ends left over.

9. Enjoy your new stim band!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 3:14 pm

The only way anyone could get away with carrying something like that around, is if they are also carrying a one year old child.

Xinro
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2011, 3:15 pm

Not necessarily. If you keep it in a pocket or use different kinds of beads, it can be concealed. This was just a quick one I threw together as an example.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 4:27 pm

I have a few komboloi from Greece, essentially the same thing but more restrained. I usually have one in my pocket to play with. The sound and feel of varieties of glass, ceramic and metal beads on leather, chain and cord is lovely. I was given three new sets in glass, silver and fake haematite on woven brass chain today.

http://www.greekfleamarket.com/greek_worry_beads.htm

[img][800:800]http://www.mirmex.com.pl/foty/prass24.jpg[/img]

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 12:03 am

StuartN wrote:
I have a few komboloi from Greece, essentially the same thing but more restrained. I usually have one in my pocket to play with. The sound and feel of varieties of glass, ceramic and metal beads on leather, chain and cord is lovely. I was given three new sets in glass, silver and fake haematite on woven brass chain today.

http://www.greekfleamarket.com/greek_worry_beads.htm

[img][800:800]http://www.mirmex.com.pl/foty/prass24.jpg[/img]

are those the same a worry beads?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 6:42 am

Titangeek wrote:
are those the same a worry beads?

Yes, "komboloi" means literally knots, the precursor to counting beads, but they still have that name. There is a historical association with religion, but they are not used in worship. There is no standard number or division of the beads, and in recent years people have been making them with pretty silver divisions, animal figures and other decorations. There are plenty of examples pictured at http://www.greekfleamarket.com/greek_worry_beads.htm

You can make a set easily if you have one of those craft shops selling glass, metal or composite beads. The cord must be much stronger than most necklace cords, the beads must be tough not to scratch, and must slide easily (it helps to drill the bore wider and polish it wish a fine file). If you are in Greece or the Middle East, then you can easily buy more than one set and mix-and-match the beads to make more varied sets.

I also put the beads on my USB memory stick, to make sure it is big, bright, easy to identify and difficult to lose.

glass
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2011, 8:09 am

Nice little idea but I would end up chewing them to death.

kinftw
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2011, 8:24 am

glass wrote:
Nice little idea but I would end up chewing them to death.

Same here. I'd carry it around though. Next time i'm able to go to an arts and crafts store I might find some things to make one.